Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many animals do you have? I was wondering how many animals y'all had I have 2 horses 1 mini donkey 4 chicks 2 rabbits and 2 feral cats

·
Registered
20 Posts
Between the in-laws, whose property is contiguous to mine, and my house, we have four horses, five hens, two roosters, three dogs, four cats (well, one is a feral that we feed and we have named, so...). We are looking to add to our flock in the spring, and when our baby gets a bit older and we can afford more attention to animals, I would like to get another large animal. Maybe a cow or some goats for dairy.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Three hens, three ducks (one is a drake and will go to freezer soon) three rabbits, three kits, two dogs and two guinea pigs. Oh and 8 Cornish rocks that will live about 4 more weeks. And I live on a golf course. Lol

But as soon as we find land and move we will add three more hens, a rooster, a few sheep, a few goats, a couple piglets.... Oh and a horse or two.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To all the cat people! Do y'all ever think it's crazy how people have 4 or 5 dogs and it's normal but if you have 4 or 5 cats your all the sudden a cat hoarder I don't get it!

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
Right now, 4 hens, 3 rabbits (2 does and a buck), 3 milk goat does and 3 pigeon pairs. We have 2 baby goats as 1 doe just kidded, and 16 young chickens, for butcher. I think we will save 2 of the pullets for replacements though. DS has the Grandpuppy. DS works 10 hours a day so Grizz spends the day out with me and with Grandma at our cabin....James

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
2 humans
2 dogs
15 Sheep (to go down after butcher time next month)
16 chickens

That makes 35 mouths to feed. Good thing so many of them are chickens and can just share one scoop of grain.

·
Registered
301 Posts
How many animals do you have? I was wondering how many animals y'all had I have 2 horses 1 mini donkey 4 chicks 2 rabbits and 2 feral cats
Check out my "how many companion animals?" thread. Most folks listed all their livestock TOO!:D For us 3 cats,2 dogs,3 hens,3 bee hives and 5 goldfish for an aquaculture experiment!

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
How many animals do you have?
2 dogs
The birds vary by season. I don't keep exact counts, but
currently around 40 ducks of 4 breeds. Around 33 Black
Australorp chickens, 4 white Holland geese, about 14 chukar
partridge, 5 or 6 pheasants.

·
Grass Farmer
41 Posts
5 roosters, 16 hens, 4 turkeys, 1 ferret, 100,000 honeybees (give or take). 2 roosters becoming roasters this weekend.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
1 dog
12 farm cats
31 cows + calves
19 steers/heifers
1 dairy cow w/ twins
148 laying hens
164 soon to be dead turkeys
many frozen broilers

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
We got 5 dogs 3 turkeys a bunch of rabbits and chickens (not sure exact number as it changes) lol, 7 ducks, 3 goats, Guinea pig, honey bees and a share of about 30 cows.
As to the cat question. Cats other than being a mouser (if they even will catch a mouse these days) don't really do much. Eat, sleep and poop. Then bite you when you rub their belly. Lol just don't have much use for em.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I am not sure I want to post how many I have lol
10 dogs
12 cats plus kittens (thanks to someone dropping a tom off)
2 sheep
16 goats
6 horses
4 mini's
1 pony
12 ducks
30 chickens
6 rabbits
7 turkey's
3 piggies
ya I know way to many I need to cut down some more

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Between the in-laws, whose property is contiguous to mine, and my house, we have four horses, five hens, two roosters, three dogs, four cats (well, one is a feral that we feed and we have named, so...). We are looking to add to our flock in the spring, and when our baby gets a bit older and we can afford more attention to animals, I would like to get another large animal. Maybe a cow or some goats for dairy.
If you choose goats try to get alpines

·
Lovin' the Country Life
507 Posts
As of today>>>

1 Dog
21 Chickens (layers and one rooster)
7 Rabbit Brood stoock
20 Rabbit fryers

Overall not many compared to others, but DH thinks its alot

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
9 Hens, 1 Rooster, 3 Rabbits, 9 Kits, 2 Dogs. 400+ Night Crawlers. 1 Wife that I don't have to take care of. :D :kiss:

big rockpile

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am not sure I want to post how many I have lol
10 dogs
12 cats plus kittens (thanks to someone dropping a tom off)
2 sheep
16 goats
6 horses
4 mini's
1 pony
12 ducks
30 chickens
6 rabbits
7 turkey's
3 piggies
ya I know way to many I need to cut down some more

Lol I'll buy some minis if you ever decided to sell