Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Learning everyday
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We found a listing online for 55 gallon plastic drums. Said they had been uses previously for rainwater and before that had ceramics in them. I plan on buying two of them but am wondering if I should try to scrape up some more cash and buy an extra one or two. This is the first time I've found them for sale at a reasonable price and I don't want to go down the road and wish I had picked up an extra. Do you think it'd be a wise investment to get an extra one or two? They are only $6.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Food storage for one thing.
with items in smaller containers.
Pretty well critter prof. . . .with a lid on it.

If you only get two now, then down the road you will kick yourself for not getting more . . .as you think up "what you can do with them".

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
Compost tumblers
water/food trough
garden/raised beds
garden containers

·
de oppresso liber
16,879 Posts
A guy I know laid them on their sides, put wheels on the 'bottom', cut the 'tops' off, put boards on the inside then linked several together. He now has a "train" he takes to all kinds of places. Kids love it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I know someone who used these for a septic system for just him and his wife. And another who makes barbeques on wheels and sells them.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Musical .. steel band ... Calypso

·
Thats MR. ******* to you
829 Posts
hillbillygal
I think you are talking about the plastic barrels, my mom just paid for and asked me to pick up 3 for DD and DS to use as barrels for them to practice barrel racing, (Christmas presents).
The kids are young and the plastic ones are lighter for them to move around in the pasture. These are full sized 55 gal. with no lid you can remove, they had soy sauce in them and they cost $9.00 each.
I have bought some smaller ones in the past for $5.00 that had a lid that had a snap ring on them, they where smaller maybe 35-40 gallons, I would like to get some more of those for feed storage ect, but they had a strange smell inside., $6.00 is a good deal, buy as many as you can afford, you can always sell them later.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
If they are they heavy duty metal drums we made a wood stove out of one several years ago for our basement. Out heats any wood stove we every had and do last forever. You can also make it into a "solar' water tank. During the summer months we fill 2 of these drums that are on the roof of our small barn and fill with water. The summer sun heats them nicely and we have an outdoor shower !! Wonderful !!! I suppose the plastic ones would work fine for the shower but I would NOT advise you to use a plastic drum for the wood stove. :D

·
Registered
676 Posts
I use the plastic ones to haul water back to the goats, and cut some in half to use as waterers. The white ones seem more brittle after time in the sun. I have tried painting them, but it is too soon to tell if that will work.

I'm also about to use a 55 gallon barrel and sacks of concrete to build a ballast to fit on my tractor's 3ph. I need it for work with the loader and moving round bales.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
We use them for verticle hay feeders, grain storage bins, water collection, animal waterers, alternative shelters for small animals/dogs, raised beds (planter for horseradish is great), winter squash storage, compost bins, shelter for the dog food bucket-basically anything that we can think of.

The price is right for sure.
HF

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
That is a good price. I paid $20.00 each for 50 gallon vinegar barrels. We use them for water storage, cut in half for planters, compost tumblers, turn on side for dog bed, gave to neighbor who uses one for a tool holder, another neighbor uses his for chicken house and to store chicken food in.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
That is a really good price , I pay twice that for "cleaned food grade 55 gal. drums ) .
I have given some to friends in Me. and Nh. for catching and/or hauling water .
I use mine as weights on My rental tent's when I can't drive in stakes.
Bob
Ps
I had some with what I considered hazardous material .
( Dr. Pepper Syrup Mix / Moxie Syrup Mix )

·
Registered
164 Posts
We just cut a hole in the front of one and put a rope through the lid to hang on a limb for a mineral block 'hut' for my grandmothers cows. I love barrels and can never get enough...lol.
Some of our other uses for them...
~cut down and duct taped edges...doll house for dd...used scrap we cut off to make floors etc. Its about 24" tall and is a half circle with 2 stories and an attic...:). Used spray paint for plastic and old magazines to decorate it.
~feed, grain and fetilizer storage.
~vermiculture and rabbit poo bins
~dog house (insulated it with pool noodles cut in half lengthwise...looks like a cross section of corn now...:).
~planters...radishes like them...be sure to poke drainage holes.
~feeders for dogs, horses, cows and etc.
~garbage cans
~cut the front out,left back, sides and bottom and hung up in the barn to store coiled extension cords and rope in. Need another one for the million feet of garden hose we have accumualted...;).
Have fun with your barrels...lol
Andrea

·
Registered
129 Posts
We cut a small "door" and use ours for goat kids. Cold drafts are terrible on young ones. When it is really cold we turn on a 60 watt bulb that we wired through the top. Sturdy as all get out, we have used these for kidding season 9 years.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I 1/4 them lengthwise, screw a board to the front and hang them as "eat through the fence" feeders for my goats. sure beats trying to walk through a crowd of them with a bucket of feed! they also make good on the ground feeders if they are 1/2ed lengthwise with holes drilled in the bottom (so they don't hold water) and boards on the sides to keep them from rocking (for bigger animals).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts