How many use Llama Guardians?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by wooly1s, May 23, 2006.

1. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

We do! We have two Great Pyrenees and five llamas to patrol and guard...I would love to see a forum for llamas...does this strike any one else's fancy?

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Certainly you may discuss Llama topics here or on the main HT board (or anywhere else they're topical!) but I know as a system we're getting top heavy with different boards. the latest new board was Alt energy and it was a close call deciding if it would be seperate or added to Shop Talk. Felines were added to the old Canine board, which works well. Maybe suggesting a board for exotics, where alpacas would doubtlessly rule would fly better? (I don't make these decisions at all, it's up to Chuck) HT gets revamped now and then, best guess is it would happen early this fall with some boards getting rolled together or dropped and maybe a new one or two tried out. Could happen sooner, alot depends on when Admin has time. Suggest it on the main HT board or the Admin board. It took 3 tried with lots of responces to get a Canine/Pet board though.

3. wilded

wilded Well-Known Member

I would like information on using llamas. What sex, training, ETC. Thanks, ET

4. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Sex- geldings work best. Don't get an intact gelding or he may try and jump your sheep

Training- none. Just get one that doesn't like dogs. We got a new llama yesterday and when she saw the dog she went up to the fence and spat on it.

5. wooly1s

Thanks, Ross! We'll keep posting to this thread...or maybe someday they give us a home of our own...there's also a thread going on the goat forum. If you like the llama info, check both!

There is so much more than guarding going for the homesteader with llamas...we pack with ours, use them for brush control, and use the fiber for spinning, etc. Yesterday was shearing day!

As far as another answer to WILDED's question:

Our experience has been different. I have an intact male (6 yr old) that is a fabulous guard, two geldings that do a great job, a female that is wonderful, and another gelding that I can't trust as far as I can throw him, he attacks sheep! He's the best at keeping anything from a perimeter, though, but I would never put him in a shared pasturewith other livestock.

Every llama is different. In most cases guarding is instinctive, llamas will bond with the herd/flock in their area. They have a natural dislike for canines, which hinders stray dogs and coyotes. Most of our llamas have accepted our Great Pyrenees as part of the family, but my one gelding will only bond with other llamas. The craziest thing I ever saw was the one gelding attack the Pyr, and another llama (our intact male) come running to our dog's defense! You have to "audition" your guards. Our llamas and dogs work together, but outside dogs are "by invitation only"...as long as they mind their manners (eg - stay away from the herds) they are not attacked.

One of our boys does his best work by "alarming" whenever something distresses him...gale force wind, smoke, heavy equipment, anything suspicious.

What part of the country are you in, wilded? I'd love to help you do your homework! When you find the right one, you'll wonder why you waited so long! ;)

6. wilded

wilded Well-Known Member

I am in Central Texas just north of Austin. ET :)

7. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

We also have a guard llama in with our sheep--a female llama at that. So far, she hasn't been tested by any intruders, but she's very alert when anything new comes onto the place. She ran afer each ewe when I was shearing, and I had to really call her off so she didn't harm them until she realized they were part of the flock! Weird. I'd seen the study where sheep recognize FACES, but didn't realize it is more than just the face they recognize. The other sheep also butt any that get sheared until they are accepted back into the flock as one of the "regulars". Jan in Co

8. wooly1s

Wilded, on the goat thread there are llama rescues going on in Colorado...A little closer to you than I am!