How many use Llama Guardians?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by wooly1s, May 23, 2006.

1. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

We do! We have two Great Pyrenees and five llamas to patrol and guard...I would love to see a forum for llamas...does this strike any one else's fancy?

2. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

We have 3 llamas. One Belgiam boy(Rahja) for the girls on 4 acres and 2 Peruvian boys for the buck(Sultan and Chance) side 13 acres (several cattle too). They are great no problems since we got them. Used to lose chickens and ducks all the time now we don't. Used to have neighborhood dogs in pastures and we don't. Neighbors with cows have trouble with dogs all the time and have recently asked about our llamas? Maybe those old time cow herders can learn something new!

jr05

3. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

I do!

We have a 31/2 year old female guard llama. She is great. Not only does she guard the goats but the poultry as well. No raccoons, opossums or stray dogs around here anymore.

A llama forum would be awesome :)

4. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

We have a male llama named Larry. He was given to me by my boss because he didn't want him anymore. He does an awesome job. When we first got him he wouldn't come close to us. Now he follows me around while I do chores. I still can't reach out and touch him but hope to get that by the end of summer. We are now letting our poultry roam during the day and haven't lost a thing. Before we couldn't even keep cats because the coyotes were so bad.

Laina

5. Terre d'Esprit

Terre d'Esprit Boer-ing Mom

We love our llama! He goes out with the goats, and he stares down the neighbor dogs. They don't dare come on the land anymore... If they did, I know he would protect his "charges."

We have dogs, too, but they are inside dogs, as they would probably be killed by Joe Llama.

I would LOVE a llama or camelid forum!!

T

6. comehomesoon

comehomesoon comehomesoon

I would love a llama forum! I have one given to me cause even gleded he beat up on my friends other male so I took him and new nothing of llams (actually they intimidated me) but shoot always up for a challenge and so being new I would love to have a place to ask Q's of other knowledgeable llama owners

7. wooly1s

Thrilled to hear from you! I'm the 4-H llama leader for our area, and new to llamas, too. We got our first as a "gift" from strangers =) a year ago, and now have five. I don't know how we can get a llama forum started...I guess we can just keep posting to this list until someone notices us...I also posted the same thread on the sheep forum to see if there was any interest there, after seeing a llama question posted (whether or not llamas made good guards). Lets see if we can answer questions between us!

8. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Do llama's make natural guards or do they have to be raised with a herd before they guard it? I have a couple of guard dogs, but have thought about getting a llama. I don't know anything about them other than they are pricey in my area.

9. bubs-mom

bubs-mom Active Member

We also got our first llama as a guard. We bought him to guard our first two alpacas but they beat him up and we found out later that he's deaf! He is now a permanent fixture but we are now up to 44 llamas and alpacas.
    There are no 2 alike and each one is my favorite for one reason or another...I really have sold quite a few. Most of mine have been sold as guards for sheep & goats or as pets, 4-H projects, etc.
    We are also the local 4-H leaders for the alpaca/llama club buy our name is Animal Aholics because we couldn't just stick to camelids:)
    I would love a new forum! For both llamas/alpacas and for 4-H/FFA.

10. wooly1s

Most llamas will guard instinctively as they bond with the herd, but they are all individuals. Five out of our six are wonderful guardians...the fifth will guard goats, but hates sheep...
    You say llamas are expensive where you are...Where are you??? In North Idaho, we can't get enough rescue homes...
    No matter where you get one from, have an "auditioning" agreement, so that if the llama is aggressive towards your livestock, you can try another one...

11. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I'm in SE Oklahoma. I haven't been looking, but last year I ran across a guy who raises them about 40 miles from me. Just out of couriousity, I ask him how much he gets for one and he said $600.00 for a baby, $1200 for an adult that has experience guarding a herd.

That was a year ago so prices may have gone down if availability has gone up.

I'd love to find someone in my area who has alpaca rescues. I'd adopt a couple of them in a heartbeat!

12. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

Around Colorado people can't give them away. They were the thing to have several years ago and when the fad wore off, no one wanted them. I got mine given to me.

13. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Ok, I will be the bummer voice today. Here in northern California, on the coast, we have lots of wild places amongst the redwoods. Last week a mountain lion came down and killed a guard llama just over the hill from me. So sad; I was thinking of getting one for my teeny tiny herd (a donation from an overcrowded neighbor) but we back right up to the 'backtrack', which is timber land where lots o' mountain lion sightings have occurred. I'm going to really think about it first. I may get a pyrennees instead.

14. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I don't have a llama...but I need a guard animal. I had ruled out llamas, because I didn't expect them to deal with small predators like possums. But, several of you seem to think otherwise.

So, tell me the ups and downs of llamas. What kind of fence do they need? (I'm not re-fencing!) What other considerations? My predator problem consists mostly of possums and foxes. Coyotes are not yet in large enough numbers to do a lot of livestock damage here, although it's in the future. No lions, wolves or weasels. Dogs are always a potential thing, but they haven't yet been a problem.

So, teach me!

Meg

15. wooly1s

Good luck finding Alpaca rescues...However, I'd be surprised to hear that rescue llamas weren't available in your area...for $1200 I'd do my homework and make a drive elsewhere (willing to make a trip to Idaho???)! lscheopner on this thread says there are some in Colorado...
    About mountain lions...yes, they will kill a llama - but the llama will alarm. They'll kill just about everything else too, except perhaps a Pyrenees - that's why we have two. We keep the llamas in the pastures, and the LGDs on perimeter patrols, outside of the pastures.

16. wooly1s

Let's see if I can help:

Ups of llamas: Fun to look at, quiet, nonoffensive odor, best fertilizer (better than bat guano), use community "toilets", easy on pasture and terrain (don't tear it up like horses), minimal veterinary expense, low feed requirements and expense, great guards...will keep most threats out of pasture, require little training to guard effectively, long lifespan, produce secondary product:wool, will hike, pack, drive, extremely intelligent, respect fencing, graze and browse - good weed management, require less space than horses, less expensive over the life of the animal than a LGD, use physical and audible strategies when guarding - you'll hear the alarm! Extremely gentle and curious, they love children. Love you in their own special way, and you'll know it. They're like potato chips...who can stop at just one???

Downs: They are so darn fuzzy and cute you want to hug them, but most won't let you, hmm....there must be something else...let me think...oh, they probably can't kill a cougar, there is a chance that sooner or later one might spit at you (most don't spit at people), most won't come running to greet you unless you have food, in fact, they find it amusing to run inthe opposite direction, and play "catch me", can seem aloof - like a cat...won't seem to "need" you...Some don't guard well. Like to have the company of other llamas.

17. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

My MIL came to visit the other day and our llama stayed between her and the goats. He wouldn't let her close to them. He is so funny. I have only heard mine make noise a couple times. We used to have skunks around and haven't seen any since we got the llama either. Not sure if it is him or coincidence. We now have an over abundance of wild rabbits though because the coyotes can't get them. When it snows you can see where the coyotes come into the pasture and run along the fence line but that is as far as they go. I would love to have another one but don't think my hubby would let me.

Laina

18. wooly1s

Boy was my hubby surprised when I took four llamas to be shorn Monday, and came home with five... We must have shaven too close and come up with two out of one! =)

We have the same situation here as in Colorado...the novelty and profit in breeding llamas wore off, and now we can't find enough homes to give them away...all of mine are rescues, and we have more rescues to place...

What many people don't realize is that llamas do not have a breeding season, and they don't have "heat" cycles like other livestock...the male induces ovulation by breeding...therefore boy meets girl makes baby in the llama world...and consequently, boy meets herd makes lots of babies! Geld your intact males!

19. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

So, what kind of fence do they need? They're a lot taller than goats or sheep. Do they need a higher fence?

I have my goats and sheep behind 39 inch field fence with a single strand of barb on top. That seems to me to be far too short for a llama. Is it?

Meg

20. Dylan

Dylan Pontifex Minimus

An acquaintance used a Llama guardian for his Alpacas. They took easily to the Llama, but it hated people and typically kept the herd away from HIM as well as other threats... he often said he'd eat the thing if it wasn't such a good guard. He is up in the Foothills - bear country and coyotes are pretty plentiful. Llamas have the hight to keep bears wary. Cougars in the area too, and I recall him hoping the Llama would be just a smidge braver than the Alpacas when it came to Cougars... better it be lunch than a $20k Alpaca...