How many tomatoes?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ninn, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

In order to harvest approximately 400# of fruit, how many paquebot roma tomato plants do I need to plant? I need to put up at least 3 doz. quarts of spaghetti sauce, as well as have salads all summer. I think I have all the rest figured out, but I'm not sure about tomatoes and my math just sux today. Thank you.

2. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I think alot of the yield will depend on the weather. It seems that the more rain that we get, the better any of the crops do.

Three years ago, with record rainfall, I had Tomatoes coming out of my ears, I even got tired of making salsa and eating them fresh. The next year, not much rain, I didn't get a good yield until fall. This past year, drought conditions, was pathetic. I ended up picking the green ones off of the plants before the frost got them - and they are still green. Yes, I did supplement the water and fed them a gentle combination of Liquid Seaweed and Hasta Grow plant food. Our rainfall has just really been declining.
    Although, it sure didn't seem to deter the summer squash/zucchini from growing. My herbs seemed to do well, also.

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Many factors are involved in determining the production of any tomato variety. Weather is one big one that can't be controlled. Every other factor can be controlled and the big one there is the soil and available nutrients. Early availability of those nutrients is especially important to determinate varieties which must produce a lot of fruit in a short period of time. Prepare a rich soil for them to grow in and they will reward you with production.

As for Paquebot Roma, I would like to say that you SHOULD easily get 10 pounds per plant. Starve it and you may only get 5. Several years ago, a test plant produced 17.2 pounds. There were plants in one plot last year which probably produced close to 15 pounds. Each plant there got at least a gallon of compost and horse manure mix. At home, they got nothing special other than my rich garden soil and still produced at least 10 pounds per plant. So, plant all you have, give them rich soil and elbow room, and hope that the year is a favorable one for weather.

Martin

4. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Thank you, Martin. The seeds arrived today, btw. Thank you so much for sharing. Payment fo shipping is on the way this Friday. I may share with my FIL after all, as there are now 4 varieties of tomatoes for me to grow. My vertical frames will make a living fence about halfway thru June this year if I do it right.