1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
use?
have?

I followed a link from the baseball cap thread and found this:

it will hold 20 different spices.....it comes with those handy dandy glass jars.....

I thought well I have prob about 20 spice bottles in the cabinet.....and I dont cook that much.....what about those 'cook from scratch' HTers???? how many of these ferris wheels would they have to buy to accomodate their spices???

BTW the Farris Wheel spice rack is 64.99!!!

Rachel

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,874 Posts
The Ferris Wheels take up too much counter space. We have the little stair step racks, plus the kind that fit on the inside of the door, and boxes of spices, herbs, and seasoning mixes. Too numerous to count.

We have two very active cooks in the family, and we do several nationalities of cuisine.

·
Registered
865 Posts
*L* Oh gosh. I would probably need 4 of those. Anything that smells great, I will buy it.

I have a rack that folds out of the cabinet. It may be a rubbermaid one. I really like it so that I don't have to get a chair to stand on.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
LOL I store my spices in pint & quart jars because I get them thru a food co-op and they come in large packages. I finally found shelves on sale and bought a bunch, which I hung everywhere I had free wall space in the kitchen. My jars sit on those shelves now.

But I sure like the looks of those, even tho they wouldn't be practical for me.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldnt imagine that a SERIOUS cook would need/want one....I can see it on the counter of one of those "centerfold-homes"....you know the ones that no one actually LIVES in!!!

Rachel <--who wouldnt shell out that much cash for a spice rack!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have about 75, and use about 25 regularly! My SIL gave me a very nice carousel kind of like your ferris wheel, and it did take up to much counter space. It had to go.

I hope she doesn't notice!!

Kimberly

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have about 13 feet of them! I used those rubber covered wire-rack shelves to go on cupboard doors, 2 of them on the wall by the stove. They're about 20" wide by 26" high and have 4 shelves. They are so cool! I finally got enough big glass spice jars and shakers to put all the spices in (that took about 2yrs of yard sales!) and I can actually SEE all my spices on the wall. :dance: I still have the dreaded spice cupboard cuz I buy mine in bulk too, but now I just refill what's getting empty from it! :)

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
OK, I honestly don't see...how could anybody possibly use THAT many spices?

I use, let me see if I can come up with a list...

Salt - regular & sea salt
Pepper - regular black, coarse ground, white pepper, red cayenne pepper
Chili powder
Thyme
Sage
Cumin
Paprika
Basil
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Dill
Bay leaves
Celery Seed
Garlic, though I don't consider that a "spice", I have powder but usually it's from a jar of minced in the fridge

Am I missing something crucial here?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I can't be bothered counting. I probably couldn't count that high a number, anyway! I not only have dried herbs in the kitchen by the dozen, but I also have an all-herb garden from which I gather fresh herbs as required. I used to have around 250 in my previous garden, but have fewer than that now - maybe half as many - due to size restrictions.

Aside from all the usuals (parsley, sage, thyme, rosemary, chillies, assorted basils and mints, tarragon etc), I have some uncommon ones - lemon myrtle, chaste-berries, lemon verbena, kafir lime, sumac, stevia, costmary, wattleseed to name a very few. I grow my own arrowroot, ginger, turmeric, galangal, cardamom, lemongrass (the Asian herbs) which are far superior to the dried stuff you get. Assorted seeds like fennel, dill, sesame, poppy, mustard to name a few. I also use a lot of dried lavender flowers in my cooking.

I also grow purely medicinal herbs (most culinary herbs have medicinal uses as well), like agrimony or horehound, and 'household' herbs like patchouli and Balm of Gilead (for potpourri) and I have those to store as well. I freeze elderberries.

I rarely buy seasoning mixes, but prefer to make my own combinations of herbs. One exception is a Bush Seasoning, based on lemon myrtle and akajura (bush tomato - a native herb). It's hard to find, but worth the hunt.

That little gadget you bought looks very nice, but it would be far from adequate for my needs, I'm afraid!

It's not a good idea to keep your herbs and spices on the kitchen bench, exposed to light and heat. They should be stored in a dark, cool, dry cupboard. Toss out what you don't use within a year - they don't go 'off', as such, but they do lose colour and flavour. The larger the particles, the longer they'll keep well (whole nutmegs, for instance will keep for years, while the powder should be tossed after a year.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts