Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a small 3 acre farm. We got goats, 3 pygmy, and 10 chickens in the spring and we like them very much, we plan to have them around until they die of old age. I still am mowing entirely to much grass though. So next spring I am considering getting some feeder sheep. I basically have three separate 1/2 acre pastures I could alternate them between. So I was wondering what some of you all think about how many sheep could live on that much land with minimal amounts of feed having to being purchased before they are sent to the butcher. The areas are mostly grass, there are a lot of weeds too, house sat empty for 3 years, we just moved in last October. It has been a farming since 1952, so I think there is pretty good potential of turning them back into healthy pastures and am willing to put in the effort.

Thanks, have a nice day,
Ted

·
Registered
321 Posts
I always like to start off with less. I'd suggest 3 sheep. That's a good number with sheep. There may always been stuff that's not eaten but if you need more, you can add more the next year. I've found sheep don't like to be alone, really, even with other animals. 3 flock better than 2 if you are moving them, working them or other wise trying to get them to do something.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking 3, I don't want 20 or anything, but the less I spend on gas not mowing the better. I did some research in the spring and I should be able to find 3 sheep pretty easily around here, probably from the same breeder.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
" To entirely do away with mowing "

I don't need to retire the lawn mower completely, I just don't want to spend 6 hours each time, like my neighbor does, who has the exact same size property as I do, has no animals and mows it all. The thing that really get's my blood going is paying $3.70 a gallon to mow my yard, cost $20 a week, it all adds up.

Mowing right after makes sense too, maybe hand pulling weeds if possible, the only effective way I have ever found getting rid of weeds besides round up, which I try and keep to a minimum.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If you have a few weeds that are unwanted you can go out and hoe them by hand before they go to seed. You won't wipe them out completely, there is ALWAYS seed in the ground but the grasses you want will crowd them out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts