Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many holes does everyone have? If you could...would you like to have more...less...or do you like it just the way it is?

Why?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I'm down to just under twenty at the moment since we are getting ready to move to the new house. Don't know how many we will have at the new house. Hopefully more!

·
Registered
438 Posts
70 holes--
Mini Lops--22 adults--17 kits
Cals--36? adult plus 11 kits
NZ--5
1 giant Chin
4 adult ND and 5 kits
I like it just the way it is--it is kind of crazy when the grow outs are full also--they are empty right now, at least for a few more weeks.
We have 6 cals bred and 2 mini lops bred

·
Registered
183 Posts
14 holes-
NZ - 3
CALI - 3
Chocolate Silver Fox - 3
Champagne dArgent - 5
I am putting in an auto watering system which will give me more time for more rabbits.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
11 adults..consist of 4 bucks and 7 does...4 are Cali and 7 are NZ

3 does have a litter of 5 each(2 1/2 weeks old) and 4 does are due in about two weeks.

I am happy with what I have. I breed my does twice a year(spring and fall) I like my litters around 5 to 8 per litter. Why because I enjoy the rabbits and it doesnt get overwhelming. If I had to many to take care it would become a burden. My crew produces enough for DH and I and I sell 1/2 of my litters to good friends. Win Win situation.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have...

9 - Cali does (5) breeding age and the rest will be of weight and age soon.
2 - Cali bucks
7 - New Zealand Black does (4 - 5 months old now)
2 - New Zealand Black bucks
2 - litters with their momma now (9-total)
2 - grow out pens

I am having a ball with them. I come from a "big animal" farm family and I get a lot of grief from them and friends. I tell them I am tired of fixing fence, chasing cows / goats all the time. I also am tired of spending $500+ a month on feed!

I spent the last 2-nights reworking cages and organizing for 7-rabbits in my barn. I spent $300 on materials and 8 hours of my time. If I was building shelters or barns for 7 big animals it would have been thousands of dollars and weeks to do for them.

We are 8-months into our rabbit experiment and for now I see "zero" draw backs. Then again I have been "blessed"...so far.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
8 and I'm building 3 cages before winter. I'm thinking a total of 6-9 more cages over the next year for my new standard chins. Plus I got an awesome ND litter of 5 that I'm not sure I want to part with any. lol

·
Registered
438 Posts
We went from 10 holes and not eating rabbit to what we have now and eating rabbit--I have hungry kids LOL! Kids decided no more meat chickens, they would rather eat rabbit. That's great for me as rabbits are a whole lot cleaner and easier to take care of. Even with this many, chores are a breeze compared to the other livestock. When the kids are gone I want only rabbits and my chickens.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
one breeding pair of meat rabbits (lost a pregnant doe last week).... but with 7 new kits on the ground so thats good.

Also a pair of lionheads we arent really doing anything with....

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
7 holes. 4 for the 3 does and 1 for the buck. The other 3 are much larger grow out pens. Too hot here to breed through the summer (even with our underground cooler set up, I don't risk it) so we only have the 4 adult rabbits currently. But I do have all of my does bred so soon we should have lots of babies :)

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
i'm down to four working does and two pure bucks calis and NZW's .one dozen hanging cages and one big grow out or holding hutch . but i'm raiseing 9 replacement does so things will be in full swing again soon .

1 - 20 of 41 Posts