How many of you men....

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Cabin Fever, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

How many of you men (or your husbands) carry pocket knives or leatherman-style tools? I mean all the time. IMHO, this would make a great gift or stocking stuffer for you women looking for ideas for sons or husbands. Even if your husband or SO already has one, a second (or third) jackknife is always appreaciate on accounta most men are always loosing or misplacing the one they have.

2. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

3. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the reminder, Cabin Fever!

A man can never have too many pocket knives. A few years ago my dh went through a phase where he seemed to lose his knife about every 3-4 months.

I have been planning to get each of my ds's a pocket knife for their stocking this year, and my 12yo dd put one on her Christmas list too!

4. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

As the ad says, Never leave home without it (Leatherman).

5. mwhit

mwhit Well-Known Member

Hey... knives are not just for men! I'd like a new pocket knife too-- I lose mine quite often :shrug: The one I use the most I got as a present from Gramp when I was 8 (26 years ago)-- it was so we could whittle whistles together. Probably many of us ladies would enjoy a new knife-- if not a pocket knife, a really nice kitchen knife would do! My boys look forward to their new knife at Christmas-- they have quite a collection!

Michelle

6. olehippy

olehippy Well-Known Member

Mine does at all times. I believe he carries two. One that was my grandfathers that my dad gave him after my grandfather passed.

olehippy

7. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

I generally carryy three. one old lockback. One of those replaceable blade folding drywall type knifes and one of those small breakoff blade type. Good for laying out

8. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

Around our area, you see way more guys with plyers than knives or "leatherman" tools. My hubby's last job, they bought him plyers and a holder. He carrys his leatherman the vast majority of the time. I have a very small one I keep in my purse, and have a full size one I keep at home.

Cathy

9. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I feel nekid without it.

10. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

I always carry a leatherman tool... mine is the Sog brand and a hand me down from my hubby...and my daughter and sons carry them too! In fact...my daughter and I had to go get her driver's license a week ago...and we had to disarm ourselves before entering the courtroom!(in VA you have to go to court to get your first license) It is a GREAT gift for men and ladies!

11. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

pocket knife and leatherman never a day without either

12. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Yessir! Pocket knives, Leatherman tools, and all Manner of Sharp things are good Gifts, for men or women.

One year, I gave each of my Kids, a Surplus (German I think)
    E-tool, an Army Entrenching Tool, to keep in the trunk of their cars, or behind the seat of the truck. It is a folding shovel, that also has a pick on it. It's a really good thing to have in Winter.
    The thing is, I sharpened one of the side edges, with a file. That makes
    it a good serviceable hatchet, in a pinch.

Another year, I gave them each a K-Bar, Marine Corps, Combat knife,
    for their bugout Bags, in their car trunks or trucks' tool box.

Oh yeah, I also have given them Cold Steel Bushman Utility Knives,
    for their Bug-out Bags.
    That's just a thing it's important to remind your Kids about each year,
    those Bug-out Bags.
    Big old Maglights, for their vehichles, was what they got last year.

Sorry I didn't mean to drift this thread. It just kinda happened.
    For myself......I buy & keep a supply of spare pocket knives, in
    the gun safe.
    Like the man said, a guy can't have too many pocket knives, or guns.
    Of course, I still like to get them for gifts.

13. tamatik

tamatik Well-Known Member

I have carried a pocket knife all my life..The one I have now was given to me by my wife.She carried it in the first desert storm and I cringe at the thot of losing it..One day i was out in the bush and left it on the bumper of the truck..I drove about 10 miles and remembered..IT WAS STILL THERE..whew
    Gord

14. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, Roger has one on him at all times. Even when he goes to the office.

15. knight88

knight88 Well-Known Member

As a firefighter I carry 2, one a Leatherman Wave. The second is a Spyderco rescue pocketknife. Both are used daily, just different. Andy

16. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

i carry a small pocket knife, nothin fancy just an old barlow been with me 33 years. have two other barlow nh knives ready when this one wears out! wife carries a gerber multi tool, they tend too last about 3 years then she has it worn out!

17. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

An excellent idea! Do you think if he had his own knife, he'd quit borrowing mine?

Meg

18. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

Ay all times a Leatherman and a small buck knife. He got his leatherman a couple of years ago for Christmas from ds (me:)- an expensive one!) and he says it is THE BEST!

19. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

I carry a clip-it type knife most of the time. If I'm working around the place I usually put the multi-tool on my belt but I don't carry one full-time. My problem with today's multi-tools is they are just huge in size (when they are closed). It's great to have all those tools but the size of some of these things nowadays is ridiculous. For that reason my original leatherman is one of favorites as I dislike walking around with a huge appendage sticking out of my side.

Don't forget the women folk when discussing multi-tools either. I just purchased a new multi-tool for my wifes birthday a couple weeks ago. She carries it in her purse and had been using a cheapy made mini tool that was worn out. She did not want a full-size multi-tool taking up a bunch of room in her purse, so after a bunch of research I ended up getting her this from Target. It has the priority items she wanted:
    - needle nose pliers
    - quality long nosed scissors
    - knife blade
    - phillips and flat-blade screwdrivers

She uses her multi-tool all the time. This is very high quality unit, particularly the pliers and the scissors. She is into spinning and knitting and uses the scissors all the time for that hobby, particularly when she is traveling and doesn't have her full complement of tools that are at the house.

[​IMG]

http://www.leatherman.com/products/tools/s2/default.asp

20. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

Me and the wife both carry a Gerber all purpose tool, just our choice because of the grips and a folding knife that uses the blades for utility knives. They are the first things we pick up in the morning and the last things put on the night stand at night.