How many of you have seen a snake in the last 30 days?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Homesteader, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Homesteader

Homesteader Well-Known Member

We have two rather large snakes that hang around our barn. Have been there for several years. The one which we think is some type of gopher snake or possible a bull snake is very big this year and freaking me out. He's got to go. We have 50 day-old quail coming tomorrow or the next day, I know he's going to get them and what he doesn't eat will die of fright. You can see pics of him at our webshots site. Whew. DH is not fond of snakes either so I don't know about catching him for relocation - we have no experience in this.

The red racer in there tends to go hide from me making it easier to do my chores in there but this guy....he could care less.

So I was curious, are snakes in general that prevalent? How many of you have seen one in the last month?

2. shepmom

shepmom Well-Known Member

Seen 2 within the last 2 weeks. More than I've seen in 24 years living here.

6' long,fat black snake was in the duck house. :eek:

We moved 2 bales of hay so we could set up a duckpen inside the house, for the (ordered) ducklings to be moved to from the (human) house. There it was. Son shot him; it looked like it had already swallowed an egg while the broody duck was taking a break from her nest. We didn't want to risk further egg losses or the ducklings being a potential meal or we'd have just re-located the snake.

The other one, I thought was a copper head. Dh shot that one. about 5' long

Don't think it was a copperhead, but that one had something in him, too.

Is it snake year? :)

3. Homesteader

Homesteader Well-Known Member

Wow a copperhead? Scary. We have rattlers here but I've only encountered one in 5 years. He was in the barn too but only the one time. I don't want to kill this snake but the fact is we don't know anyone who would just come right on out to catch him, not to mention even if we did, he'd have to be out to do it. He has many places to get away if he wants. Animal control has to come from 60 miles away, no way they'd come unless we had him cornered - I can't get that close and I don't think DH wants to. :no: Shudddder..

4. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

Saw two yesterday. One large live king snake. One medium-sized copperhead mished by one of the tractor wheels.

Good to have the king snake around to greet the rats.
    Can't say I'll miss the copperhead much.

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.....................Copperheads are a very Short snake. Rarely will they exceed 3 feet in length. That snake in the pictures IS NOT a copperhead, but I have No idea what species it is. Your other black snake was probably a Bull snake. They will kill and EAT rattlers, as well as other little 2 legged Pop Tarts like you have in those cages.........fordy.... :eek: :)

6. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

i've seen a few lately, even though i'm not out as much yet. i don't pay that much attention to them.

last year in the early spring we found three large dead snakes hanging in the newly installed netting in the barn. they got hung up on it and died. i never saw them. i kept smelling something dead but couldn't find it. i never thought to look up, which is good because if i had i would hae seen very large half-rotted snakes hanging over my head. hubby found them and told me. i would not step foot in the barn until he got them out of there. i don't mind snakes, but hangy dangly dead ones are a different story!

since they all died, my barn is now overrun with mice. i'd rather have the snakes.

jena

7. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

we have seen many snakes this month but we usually do during the summer

8. Gimpy_Magoo

Gimpy_Magoo Well-Known Member

Let's see if I can remember all the names of the snakes I have seen in the last week.

rattle snake
    several ball pythons
    couple a reticulated pythons
    a black snake
    two copperheads
    and three very large boa constricters
    even saw a Caymon
    and many many more I have no idea what the heck they are.

eh, it helps that the neighbore is the state reptile rescue goto guy.

gimpy

9. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Seen two within 10 mins. of eachother. Spreading adder, then a speckled king snake. Dog killed both, although I tried to stop her from killing the king snake. Oh well, she can't tell the difference.

10. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Several chickensnakes (milk snakes) have been caught in the chickenhouse. Caught a 6 1/2 foot rattler Sunday night, transported him miles away, and hope he doesn't find his way back.

11. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

From the size of your Snake I would say it is a Western Fox Snake,but it might be a Great Plains Rat Snake.

So far I haven't seen many snakes,we have mostly Rattlers and Copperheads.But I have seen less serious snakes around like Black Snakes and I seen a pretty Red Milk Snake last year.

big rockpile

12. Terri in WV

Terri in WV Well-Known Member Supporter

south central Kentucky(finally out of all the snow
    I've seen 2 black snakes in the last couple of days at the new house-can't say I'm impressed with where they were at. One was coming out from under the back steps and about scared the crap outta me, the other dh found in the rafters of one of the out buildings(I don't think I'll be spending time in any of the outbuildings any time soon). I can't say that I'm actually scared of snakes but I just wish they'd let me know where they want to be so that I can decide to be someplace else :) .

13. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Funny you should ask as I have seen two (or the same one twice) this week. Today's was the most dramatic though. DS came in from collecting the eggs to tell me there was a snake in the chicken house. So I go out to check and sure enough a large black rat snake was all coiled up right behind one of the chickens (she is broody and more than just a little stoopid). We get the chicken out, she goes back in, snake lunges at chicken, chicken loses a few feathers as she races back out. The snake then proceeds to take a nap. I dragged it out with the garden rake and it slithered off. I guess if I see it in there again I won't be so nice.

14. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

A couple of weeks ago I was gathering eggs and and met a snake that looks quite like your pic. Our nest boxes open from the back so you don't have to enter the chicken yard to gather eggs. I reached in without really looking and something bumped my arm. Then I heard a familar rattle sound. There coiled up in the nest was a big ole snake with his mouth full of egg and still striking at me all the while rattling that tail. By the time I had gotten a weapon/tool he'd swollowed the egg and was leaving. I chased him back and forth from nest to nest till I killed him. He was very aggressive and was patterned up, it was dim light and with the tail rattling I wasn't taking any chances. Turns out not to be a rattler or even poisonous. I looked him up and he was a 4 foot Texas Rat snake. Kinda pretty really but mean tempered and definitely not killing any rats around the place if he was eating eggs. I didn't know other snakes rattled their tail. Well, he won't be anymore, and I'll go ahead and hold out my hand to be slapped but I'm not into catch and release snakes.

Halo

15. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

A SNAKE????? I wish that I had only seen A snake. I 've seen 4 since lunch today and i have lost count of how many before that.
    I grew up on the edge of the Okeefenokee Swamp and i swear this farm has more snakes that I EVER saw growing up.
    Let's see...
    --- Today started with a small emerald green snake laying on the float in the goat watering trough. I leaned over the fence to see how much water they had and I am not sure who was more surprised.
    --- My middle son breathlessly came running to tell me about the three big snakes sunning themselves on the raft he had built on the pond. They were like something out of a nightmare....my son promptly lost swimming priviledges.
    --- I went to check eggs and moved a stray bucket and found a very fat snake obviously with an egg or two in him. I replaced the bucket vigorously....
    ---My oldest son was weed eating around the back of the house and I was "supervising" standing under a huge tree. We must have been making too much racket because a HUGE black snake slithered down the trunk of the tree at my elbow...... they probably heard me in town 2 miles away.
    ---Driving to the mailbox ( a mile away), two big garter type snakes slithered across the road. I reminded myself of the varmint controll and resisted the urge to gun it.
    --I won't even start on how many small garter snakes and ring necks I have stirred up in the garden and walking with the goats.
    Tana Mc

16. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    I agree with fordy and BRP. Definitely not a copperhead and probably a rat or fox snake. Nice job IDing that snake BRP.

17. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

I saw one live snake on the road this week and can't tell you how many dead ones I have seen on the roads. It has been raining here for so long the snakes apparently are looking for some dry land because I don't remember seeing this many in one summer since I was a child. :eek:

Funny thing is I used to be more afraid of spiders but since I work outdoors alot now, I kind of have gotten used to them and don't fear them as much. I didn't use to be as afraid of snakes but now they send shivers up my spine. I must stop reading these threads, I just know I will have nightmares about snakes. :(

18. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

I see 2 or 3 garter snakes on a daily basis

19. same here, I see at least 2 garter snakes a day. A pair lives right outside my house in a flower bed that I made from stacking those concrete decorative blocks. They really like the heat generated in the early spring. I don't mind except when one managed to get in the house last year! that was freaky.

this spring while walking outside (april) I almost stepped on 4 garter snakes sunning beside the remnants of an old garage foundation by my driveway. From the holes, it looks like they had wintered under the foundation. After that I took a walk through the fields, walking along the edge since it was muddy and I must have seen a dozen garters sunning themselves.

garter snakes are all I've ever seen in this part of indiana. when I lived in southern indiana I was always on the lookout for timber rattlers and copperheads. I'll take the garters anyday!

Mel-

20. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Limp Bisket LOL

I am terrified of snakes, actually, I'm a bit better than I used to be-I rarely wet myself anymore (j/k) Seriously, snakes are the only thing on earth that I'm truly scared of and I almost stepped on one the other day. It was sunny itself on the path I use to dump manure. I didn't see it on the way out out but I just missed it on the way back. I'm sure they heard the scream in central PA. I hate it when I scream too, it's such a prissy thing to do. I saw one in the small paddock about 3 weeks ago, and an odd looking one by the pool a week or so before that. I know that it's an irrational fear and snakes eat mice and other rodents, but it's a real fear to me.

I am better tho...a sighting used to put in knee high rubber boots for a month...I haven't had the boots on yet this year.

Stacy in NY