How many Lambs per acre

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Siryet, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

I would like to raise some spring grass lambs this year and I was wondering how many lambs could I put per acre on land that has 30% clover and 70 grasses mixed? I looked in the archives but didn't see anything about this.

I would be butchering in october

Thank you for your experienced replies

2. LeahN

LeahN Well-Known Member

How many lambs you can have per acre depends on a number of things, such as what area of the country in which you live, and what kinds of grasses you have. That determines what kind of grass growth we're talking about and when it grows. Also, what kind of imput are you wanting to put in? Would you be interested in intense rotational grazing to maximize the number, or are you wanting to put them all in a big field from day one till finish? Or perhaps something in the middle...
    In addition to considering the amount of forage you'll have, you also need to think about how you will keep parasite levels down to keep growth rates up. This is more difficult when you only have one lamb field, since you can't put the sheep on fresher pasture after you worm.
    I have a book to recommend...about making the most of grass with lambs...but I'm tired and can't remember what its called! I have it upstairs, so I'll find it and give you the title and author tomorrow (hopefully I'll remember!).

3. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Thank you for your response. LeahN.
    I would like to have 6 lambs to raise for slaughter and that is all. I have enough fenced property to rotate so I guess I'll do that.

I will be getting a book on raising grass lambs.
    Thank you again for your response and have a great week :)