How many kids per doe?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by WolfSoul, Sep 15, 2004.

1. WolfSoul

WolfSoul Well-Known Member

I have Nubians and Alpines in two separate herds. I have 2 does that are going to kid in October. Generally, how many kids do each of these breeds have?

THANK YOU EVERYBODY!

Karen

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

I'm not sure this question can be answered "breed specific". Our gals did the following this past season from 2 bucks:

Nubians: one had 3 (first time mom), one had 4 (first time mom), one had a single (multi time mom)

Toggs: most had doubles, few singles

Saanens: All had doubles but the 2 first timers who had 3 each

Mixes: we all over the chart from 1 to 4

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine are Nubians. I've had a few does that had only one the first kidding, one that consistently only had one. But usually, they double or triple. I've never had more than three, and hope not to, since they seem more likely to need help with more than two because of presentation.
    mary

4. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Umm....well they can have anywhere from 1-5 babys...five like almost never ever happens and if it does I would be suprised big time. I am betting you will get twins or triplits. If they are first freshening does you might only get singles but you never know!

MotherClucker
    ps: It generally depends on what lines the does are from ..sometimes it has to do with breed but from what I have noticed it has a lot to do with the genetics and lines.

5. WolfSoul

WolfSoul Well-Known Member

If I told you which lines they were from, would that help??? I can go get their papers.

6. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I probably wouldn't know about the lines very much..but maybe somebody on here would know if they produce twins mainly or what ever. So yea give it a shot. Or/and if you could talk/call somebody who has a lot of goats from those line(s) and see what she/he says about it.

MotherClucker

7. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

All but one of my alpines had twins. None had triplets. There was a mix of females and male kids.