How many Joules for electric fence?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mailman, Oct 28, 2004.

1. mailman

mailman Miniature Cattle

Hello, can anyone tell me what constitutes a "Good Energizer" for an electric fence? Does that mean more powerful in Joules, or perhaps more reliable about consistant output (no failures?). I am putting up a 4-strand electric fence. I ordered the Intellitwine from Premier fencing (http://www.premier1supplies.com/store/prod_display.html?prod_id=432&pcat_id=23&cat_id=41). I was told that I cannot use a very powerful energizer because it will melt the twine. They suggested I use an energizer that outputs 1.5 stored joules, 1.2 released joules called Hotshock 150 (http://www.premier1supplies.com/store/prod_display.html?prod_id=396&pcat_id=23&cat_id=54).
    My question is: is this going to be enough power to keep boer goats in?

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

My answer from experience is YES and MAYBE.

YES, once they are trained to it, it will keep in any animal.

MAYBE is while they get trained to it.

We have miles of electric that keeps everyone where they are supposed to be….and it isn't even plugged in. That is how electric actually works: a deterrent rather than a physical barrier. Our chargers are 2.5 joule Zebara’s, each one is responsible for 5 strands for 3.8 miles of ribbon. We only turn them on when new babies are around, after 2 or 3 weeks it goes off until next kidding season.

We have never used the twine stuff but when we had horned goats they learned to hook it with their daggers, twist their head and an instant hole was made. To aid in the training you might want to tie some plastic ribbons to the fence so they see it long before they touch it. Then once they get popped a few times they will associate the ribbons as the source of their discomfort thus your conditioned response training will go much faster.

3. mailman

mailman Miniature Cattle