How many Homesteaders here don't eat meat?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by frontiergal, Dec 28, 2003.

1. frontiergal

frontiergal Well-Known Member

I am wondering how many homesteaders here do not eat meat but use by products from there animals such as eggs milk ect...I'm 44 yrs old and have always love meat but am finding myself wanting less meat and more rice and veggies.
    Just wondering who else has found themselves eating less meat. Thanks ,Heidi

2. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Heidi, I was vegetarian for 3 yrs and fell off the wagon. :D I blame it on a bratwurst with saurkraut. ;)

I've noticed as I get older I'm less fond of meat. I'm really looking forward to the garden this year and I'll probably drop my meat consumption down to a couple of days a week.
    For me, I don't mind it so much if it's well hidden in things like enchiladas or stir fry's but whole chops/steaks/roasts just don't thrill me anymore. :no:

I raise our own chicken,duck,goose, turkey and pork. Come spring we'll be adding either beef calves or meat goats to the farm; so we won't need to purchase any meat from the stores.
    My husband, son and daughter in law all enjoy meat so I doubt if this household will ever go totally vegetarian.

3. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I still eat meat a couple times a week, BUT only if I have raised it or hunted it, processed it myself, and put it in the freezer or canned it. I will say I haven't eaten any beef or pork for over 15 years home grown or not.

4. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

i've been a vegetarian on and off thru my life sometimes for a couple years at a stretch. but it's never been easy for me. whenever i've lived the homesteading lifestyle i've kept meat animals and always butchered them nyself.

as my new homestead gets underway, i'll start with meat animals as usual. it's just not practical to produce a meatless diet from this land right now. but as our rough ozark woods get transformed to pasture and garden i plan to drop the meat-eating at some point, in favor of a milk cow or perhaps goats.

i have a strong religious orientation (buddhism) that doesn't forbid meat-eating. but with its emphasis on compassion, it's hard to accept meat-eating unless absolutely necessary. and i should stress this has always been a major weak point in my practice, and a perennial source of discomfort to me.

5. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

The only meat I personally have ever bought in a store is what comes in the kibble for the dogs. I have seen production of mass produced meat from feedlot to store shelf and it is pretty nasty. Frankly just too much bother to raise and process my own since I live alone. No real desire for meat either so guess I am what you call a defacto vegetarian. Just rarely eat little meat when I am guest at somebody's house that does eat it. Since my body isnt used to it, I usually suffer afterwards, but not worth hassle to argue with people who dont understand this, especially friends. We all have set of bacteria in our system that helps digest depending on what we regularly eat. Those used to a high meat diet would also suffer for while if switching to mostly whole grains and vegetables. Funny how some people are so concerned how much of what guests eat at dinner. Frankly my dears, I dont give a damn. Figure each individual will eat whatever they feel they need to eat ala "Jack Sprat could eat no fat. His wife could eat no lean. So together they licked the platter clean."

I'm also lactose intolerant so dont use much dairy although I can tolerate real yogurt/kefir and some aged cheese (no lactose in aged cheese). Eggs I dont bother with either. Those boughten things are not real eggs in my opinion (mass produced crap just like the meat). Real eggs have nice orange center and are not runny. Real chickens run around and eat bugs and natural things. They taste much different than boughten chicken also. Since I can live without eggs why bother raising them, just another chore. As old Henry (Thoreau) said, "simplify, simplify". I like life simple and not the tv version with the jetset hoochie mamas slumming on the AR farm.

6. Soni

Soni Well-Known Member

Veggie here. Soymilk for stuff like cereal (plain milk gives me a sore throat), organic yogurt sometimes (tied soy yogurt once - couldn't get it down *gag*), some hard cheeses. Eggs a lot more than I used to, as I am living with Granny who pays for the groceries, so I end up eating what's around. When hub and I are on our own, we eat much less dairy stuff. He isn't a veg, but eats that way when we're on our own because I won't cook it and don't want it laying around the house giving me 'cooties'!

7. Kevin and Laura

Kevin and Laura Well-Known Member

Though we're not vegetarians, this thread did start me thinking about something. Kevin and I have noticed that we seem to go through phases where meat doesn't taste as good, especially beef. We eat a lot of chicken and fish during those times. I have noticed that I no longer have the desire to consume large pieces of meat. When I was in my teens and twenties, I would gobble down a whole porksteak and hope for maybe 1/2 more. But now, it's sometimes impossible for me to eat a 1/2 of one. They just taste too greasy. Even roasts don't seem to taste good enough to make them worth the trouble. I usually dig out all the potatoes and carrots. I still like hamburger-based casserole-type dishes, with lots of veggies and rice. Who knows, maybe I'll try eating meat a couple times a week and see how I feel.

Thanks for the thread. Even though we aren't vegetarians, I like threads that make me stop and think a minute!!

Laura

8. Jane in southwest WI

Jane in southwest WI Well-Known Member

I'm a vegetarian at heart and have always been that way. When I was a kid I always wanted peanut butter sandwiches instead of meat. I was a vegetarian when I was on my own and single. I am thin and love my carbs, forget Atkins! I love rice, whole grains, and pasta. I also love all my own garden veggies.

However, my husband is a meateater. Everyone's metabolism is different. To make things easier on myself in terms of the cooking and shopping, I'll eat some meat along with my husband but I'll have a small helping of the salmon, venison, chicken or steak (we get grass fed beef, raised by a neighbor) along with a big salad and usually potato. It's a treat for me to be "on my own" for supper then I'll make a make some oriental-type concoction with tofu for myself.

9. earthship

earthship Well-Known Member

Vegetarians here for lots of reasons - have been for many years. We do eats eggs (from our own chickens) and some dairy. We are not fanatical. Need help making a decision, read: Diet for a New America by John Robbins (1987). Or if you are in a hurry checkout this for interesting info: http://www.geocities.com/~newliberty/robbins.htm

hmmmm - maybe we fanatical :haha:

Happy New Year!

10. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Vegetarian here, and have been for most of my life. I'm 46, and I quit eating meat when my dad butchered the first pig and cow. I was 12 years old. I've broken down a few times, for months at a time, but I feel terrible about myself for doing it. (I ate meat because my husband did). My reasons are purely emotional. Any health benefits are secondary. Actually, if some study came out and said I'd shortened my life by eating this way, I wouldn't start now. No meat in my body for close to 15 years. I eat eggs from my hens, and drink soymilk, and I'll eat cheese once in a while. I love whole grains and fresh veggies. And as HermitJohn said, the last time I ate a piece of beef I was sick for 3 days.

11. Montana Mom

Montana Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Heidi.

I'm a very strict vegetarian who does not use animal products like eggs and cheese. I'm used to it now and find it easy to maintain, and the best thing about it is that I rarely need refrigeration! Fruits and vegetables and grains and beans do not spoil nearly as fast as dairy and meat!

I have a vegetarian child and manage a vegetarian daycare. I would be more than happy to help you in any way possible.

12. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I prefer preprocessing my veggies through a cow. Guess that makes me a vegetarian once removed . :p

13. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I was a vegetarian when I met my husband. He ruined me! (not really) I ate meat for several years, but recently went back to a vegetarian diet, due to gall bladder problems. I, occasionally, eat fish or chicken, but NO red meat. I fix it for the rest of the family, though. It's lots of fun making 2 meals every night! (NOT!)

14. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I did the vegetarian thing, but like others, I fell off the wagon when a 1/2 lb. rare cheeseburger and fries attacked me in a bar one night. I couldn't defend myself after 6 or 8 pints of Black and Tan, so he beat me.
    Now that I raise my own meat, I won't buy it in the store. Like Kevin and Laura, I started noticing off-tastes, usually a bleach taste/smell in poultry, bitterness in pork (which is almost impossible to find un-brined in the store these days), and a kind of rancid aftertaste in beef fat. Now that I know that my animals are raised humanely and naturally, how they are slaughtered, and how the meat is handled and stored, I eat meat almost every day...unless it's tomato and basil season.

15. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

When I was young, I was definitely 'carnivore' oriented, but as I get older, have noticed that the portion of meat in comparison to the bread, vegetables and starches is slowly diminishing. Still like the taste, but just need less of it as time goes by.

Our meat is mainly game that I shot and processed, and we just started eating eggs from our chickens (a DEFINITE difference!). Fish when we can get them, we also prefer catching our own. We now have two calves on our pasture - we might be eating more beef in the future.

16. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Watch out, Frontiergal! I was having that carbo craving too.. and after about a year of very little meat (taco salad a day) I ended up ANIEMIC!!! Seriously... needed B-12 shot, Iron shot, suppliments... :no: (duh, me!)

My daughter, has been a 'vegitarian' for several months... well..... ha ha... guess who emailed saying she needs iron suppliments? Yep.... good ole' pass out on the streets of England, daughter! (puny genetics??? LOL)

I say.. go for the meat. At least you know what you're getting.... and it's gonna get killed ANYWAY. If you feel guilty about poor little animals, Just honor the God that provided it, and chow down! :):)

17. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

I've been vegetarian and vegan off and on for the past 25 years. When I was pregnant with my son, I suddenly craved Whoppers and fried chicken. Now I work where we have to role model for preschoolers and part of that is eating at a family style setting with them(and eating the food). I eat almost all of it except the unkosher stuff. And also now, I lift weights and tend to eat more that way with lots of scrambled egg whites or a big salad with a can of tuna on top of it.

If I felt comfortable with being vegan, that's the way I'd go, but I actually need to do some more research about protein in the veggie world because of the weightlifting...

18. kosh

kosh Well-Known Member

Really hard core Veg here! I have not eaten meat in almost 14 years. I have not eaten eggs or dairy in almost 10 years. Maintaining a healthy Veg diet is not hard at all.. perhaps at first when one doesnt know what to eat.. just doesnt want to eat meat.. I eat mostly fresh raw fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds. My stove is almost never used. I know a lot of vegetarians and none of them have ever been anemic or needed B-12. The only anemic people i've known have been meat eaters. I try to buy organic produce, and i grow some fruits, veggies and herbs. I do have a chicken (and have 6 fertile eggs in the incubator!).. but i dont use her eggs (when she feels like laying, which is rarely). I enjoy chickens because they are interesting creatures, and their poop makes great fertilizer.

I stopped consuming animal by-products because of a desire to not be part of killing. I switched to a mostly raw vegan diet because it is super healthy. I have been mostly raw vegan since 2000, and have really settled into it in the past 2 years. I have not had a cold in over a year (when everyone i work with had the flu at least once this winter). I have never had problems with low iron(anemia), I have had my cholesteral checked a few times over the past 14 years and it dropped dramatically when i became a veg and has stayed low, when the rest of my family has high cholesteral(including 2 people on medication to lower their cholesteral).. I am also the only one in my family without any stomach problems (ie, ulcers etc.) and the only male in my immediate family who has not had problems with kidney stones. Even my allergies have become less difficult to deal with. It seems every spring (since being mostly raw veg), pollen has bothered me less and less.

I would never want to go back to eating the way i did 14+ years ago.. I dont go preaching to people about my diet, and only talk about it when asked (which is quite often, because people want to know how i stay fit and healthy!). I dont shun omnivorous people (most of my friends eat animal by-products). All of this has put me more in touch with the earth and the natural world around me and has led me to wanting to live a 'homesteader-ish" life.

Peace,
    Jason

19. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, Jason; I wasn't bashing Vegan diet or the IDEA of it.... I WASN'T TRYING to be vegitarian... I just messed up!! And It IS important for one starting a Vegan diet to be careful, as I stated! They must do their homework.

20. Suzanne

Suzanne Well-Known Member

Never been! Prefer organic grass fed, that's what we raise. I will not usually touch venison now because I know their eating genetically altered corn and running on roundup ready soybeans. We do try to eat like they did long ago, what is in season. In the summer there are alot of days that we do not eat any meat, but when fall and winter come that certainly changes....