Homesteading Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
I have Menudo once a month. A bit of hot sauce in it also along with the other things you posted. Takes me about 6 hours to cook it. Adding different things to the Tripe at different times as it cooks. Walmart used to have Old El Paso- Menudeit in the can here. However they no longer carry it so i make my own.
I make when time allows but it's not something I want to rush. My grandmother's always bring a huge pot for get togethers.

I've never eaten the canned menudo.

Reactions: mreynolds

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Reactions: altair and Danaus29

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
15, but those are pretty much staples for me, pretty funny to see them on an,odd food list. I’m German so the old country foods are the basics. I’d try some of the other ones but I’ve never been around them.

I had alligator, which wasn’t on the list. Tastes like greasy tough chicken.

Paul

·
Premium Member
27,082 Posts
Hasenpfeffer. Haven't you ever watched Bugs Bunny?
I forgot all about that! I was thinking maybe, somewhere I might have heard another term but it just wasn't clicking. Even google didn't bring up hasenpfeffer.

I may have to try this recipe

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
15, but those are pretty much staples for me, pretty funny to see them on an,odd food list. I’m German so the old country foods are the basics. I’d try some of the other ones but I’ve never been around them.

I had alligator, which wasn’t on the list. Tastes like greasy tough chicken.

Paul
Here ya go Paul.

I like this.

German Rouladen

German Rouladen

Recipe Summary
Prep:
20 mins
Cook:
1 hr 10 mins
Total:
1 hr 30 mins
Servings:
Yield:
6 servings
Nutrition Info
Ingredients
Decrease Serving
Increase Serving
Adjust
Original recipe yields 6 servings
Ingredient Checklist
  • 1 ½ pounds flank steak . Rump roast/bottom round works very well too.

• German stone ground mustard, to taste. Horseradish mustard works, so does just about any dark full bodied mustard.

• ½ pound thick sliced bacon

• 2 large onions, sliced

• 1 (16 ounce) jar dill pickle slices

• 2 tablespoons butter

• 2 ½ cups water

• 1 cube beef bouillon
Directions

• Step 1
    Cut the flank steak into thin filets; about 1/4 inch thick and 3 inches wide.

• Step 2
    Generously spread one side of each filet with mustard to taste. Place chopped bacon, chopped onions and pickle slices on each filet and form into a roll. Use string or toothpicks to hold the roll together.

• Step 3
    Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt butter. Place the rolls in the butter and sauté until browned.

Step 4
    Pour in 2 1/2 cups of water and add the bouillon cube; stirring to dissolve the bouillon cube. Simmer the rolls for about an hour. I pour Gallo Burgundy jug wine over the rouladen instead of beef broth. I think that it adds a nicer flavor to the finished dish.

When the rouladen are done remove them from the baking dish and thicken the remaining liquid for the gravy.

Serve over Spätzle

Reactions: alida

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Spetzle is good! I’ve had a few things wrapped around a pickle as appetizers, but not exactly that dish, sounds good.

beef heart gravy over dumplings, yum! And like bean chili it gets better the 2nd or third meal you reheat it.....

Pigs feet with sour kraut, yum! Restaurant in town makes it on Thursday’s, I’m there a lot on thursdays. I guess I didn’t think that odd so didn’t mention it before.

Dad liked blood sausage, I tried it but wasn’t for me.

my wife, she was in her 40s and didn’t know if she liked cherry pie because she had never tried it. She has about 4 bland foods she eats, and that’s it. Her splurge on the wild side is pepperoni pizza...... we can never make anything with flavor or seasoning or a new thing, because well, it might have some flavor to it. Sigh.

she would probably be a 0 on that list, as far as I know.

Paul

·
Registered
420 Posts
no haggas or crickets for me every thing else Iv had , one of my daughters is Chinese so she feeds me weird stuff, it’s hard to get the 1000 year old egg down and I wasn’t to keen on the chicken feet And the Darain is bad news

·
newfieannie
9,990 Posts
i've only had about 11 of them . some i only tried and didn't like but there are many things i eat that are not on the list like seal flippers, salt water birds anything to do with fish except shellfish. my father use to have his blood pudding for breakfast every morning. i tried it once. he made his own. what passes for bp in the stores these days is not really bp. not around here anyway. Georgia

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
I’m with Paul. I‘ve had 17 of the items. Many I have no clue what they even are! Google is helpful. I would try most on there, but I mean I live in the middle of nowhere, and so the chances are slim. I’m not about to go to Vancouver to try them out, or wherever the nearest metropolis that may even have them would be! Thousands of miles away I presume. Moose and elk and venison, walleye and pike, and farm raised meats and vegetables are the basis of our existence. Which would probably be strange fare to most urban ppl nowadays.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I’m with Paul. I‘ve had 17 of the items. Many I have no clue what they even are! Google is helpful. I would try most on there, but I mean I live in the middle of nowhere, and so the chances are slim. I’m not about to go to Vancouver to try them out, or wherever the nearest metropolis that may even have them would be! Thousands of miles away I presume. Moose and elk and venison, walleye and pike, and farm raised meats and vegetables are the basis of our existence. Which would probably be strange fare to most urban ppl nowadays.
Oh, you didn't comment to tell us about what you have/haven't had that was on the list.

You just came to gloat about living in BC and about all of the farm produce, game and fish you get to raise, hunt, catch and eat.

I see how you are.

I know what you're aboot.

Oh you rascal you.

I hope you choke on your Tim Horton's
. ;)

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
I've only had 32 but only because no one will buy me some foie gras. I don't like to pay that much for my food. Plus, I don't think I have ever seen it on a menu.

I would try any of it but not the crickets. Not unless there was nothing else to eat. I might even try the century egg.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Oh, you didn't comment to tell us about what you have/haven't had that was on the list.

You just came to gloat about living in BC and about all of the farm produce, game and fish you get to raise, hunt, catch and eat.

I see how you are.

Oh you rascal you.

I hope you choke on your Tim Horton's
. ;)
Lol

i live in Saskatchewan. The nearest city that would probably have everything on the list would probably be Vancouver, a thousand plus miles away!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Lol

i live in Saskatchewan. The nearest city that would probably have everything on the list would probably be Vancouver, a thousand plus miles away!

What about the sprawling metropolis of Moose Jaw and the town that if you don't pronounce it right sounds like you are talking about a woman's naughty bits?

And what about?

There's always Lethbridge, Calgary, Red Deer and Edmonton in Alberta.

And the town in Manitoba named for a raffle... Winnapig.

Or are you trying to say that the prairies are lacking in the finer things relating to the culinary arts?

Reactions: farmerDale

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Well yeah, but trying to knock the dust off of the memory of all of the weird stuff I've eaten over the years, some of it has got to be some kind of a crossover, so my count is sorta best guess.

Duck eggs

Crawdads

Beef tongue

Rocky Mountain Oysters

Beef heart

I remember now that I did have some razor clams in Portland that a fellow brought back from a trip to Alaska.

Alligator

Snapping turtle

Calamari/squid

Baltic sea sprats

Pig's feet

Caviar/fish roe

Raw fish, eel and seaweed in sushi
What about the sprawling metropolis of Moose Jaw and the town that if you don't pronounce it right sounds like you are talking about a woman's naughty bits?

And what about?

There's always Lethbridge, Calgary, Red Deer and Edmonton in Alberta.

And the town in Manitoba named for a raffle... Winnapig.

Or are you trying to say that the prairies are lacking in the finer things relating to the culinary arts?
Moose Jaw! Haven't beenthere in afew years....My gf had land there and ran sheep

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

·
Unapologetically me
21,196 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have tried 28 from the list....
Of this I would politely decline several if offered again..
Some I love, love.... My Sweetie will leave the kitchen when I have a craving for kimchi now and then..
Several on the list I would try.. Several I would not even try once...

I will also say.... I have eaten several things made by my US southern red neck Cajun cousins that were of different levels of questionable origin and ingredients.... All were good, but best not to ask too many questions..

One thing not on the list is horse... My Sweetie says if you get around a group of French Canadians that are good at it, they can make it wonderful..

Like said, up here the only place you might find some of these things is Vancouver ....spit.... and you would have to tie me up and haul me there... So with that in mind, I would pass...
=== ===

I see how you are.

Oh you rascal you.

I hope you choke on your Tim Horton's. ;)
=== ===
I'm with you FarmerDave... There isn't much in the prairie provinces or west coast that isn't good... eh...

Reactions: mreynolds
41 - 59 of 59 Posts