Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I have a relative that has never eaten Shrimp.
I had a co worker that had never eaten Chili.
I don't feel I've missed much by not eating most items on that list and I'll never know either.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
did you count them?
Well yeah, but trying to knock the dust off of the memory of all of the weird stuff I've eaten over the years, some of it has got to be some kind of a crossover, so my count is sorta best guess.

Duck eggs

Crawdads

Beef tongue

Rocky Mountain Oysters

Beef heart

I remember now that I did have some razor clams in Portland that a fellow brought back from a trip to Alaska.

Alligator

Snapping turtle

Calamari/squid

Baltic sea sprats

Pig's feet

Caviar/fish roe

Raw fish, eel and seaweed in sushi

Reactions: 101pigs

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Never had oxtail (assuming it is what the name says it is), and never heard of tripe, century egg, or razor clams (though, if they’re not particularly rare, I’m sure I’ve had them as I’m kind of a shellfish junkie). There’s a big difference between having tried it and actually liking it, though. I’m only at about 70% on the former.

I find it odd that they have rabbit listed twice. It’s one of the tamest ones on there, but you get two points?
Had 28 on list. Tripe= Cow Stomach. Razor Clams i love. Used to dig them in the sand on ocean surf Washington state.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I had to look up durian. I never had that
It’s kind of a let down. It was hyped to me as being the most delicious fruit I’d ever eat, and the most disgusting smell I’d ever smell.

It smells bad, but isn’t exactly knock-your-socks-off bad, and it was OK to eat, but far from great. Like a runny mango in texture, and rhubarb is probably the closest taste I could pin it to.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Everything but haggis and century eggs. They are not on my culinary bucket list either.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Had 28 on list. Tripe= Cow Stomach. Razor Clams i love. Used to dig them in the sand on ocean surf Washington state.
One of my favorite dishes is menudo, delicious, tripe, pigs feet, hominy and lots of spices.

·
Premium Member
5,949 Posts
I think 16 from the original list 5 from Tom Horn's list. Maybe more I didn't know about. Some things not on either list.

·
Premium Member
41,896 Posts
Twenty five from the list, quite a few others not on the list. Snapping turtle, raccoon, roof rabbit... aka tomcat... mountain oysters, lots of stuff has been tried, won’t try again!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
One of my favorite dishes is menudo, delicious, tripe, pigs feet, hominy and lots of spices.
I have Menudo once a month. A bit of hot sauce in it also along with the other things you posted. Takes me about 6 hours to cook it. Adding different things to the Tripe at different times as it cooks. Walmart used to have Old El Paso- Menudeit in the can here. However they no longer carry it so i make my own.

·
Premium Member
27,082 Posts
It's been years since I've had snapping turtle. The way my grandma fixed it the meat was tough as leather but oh, so tasty!

21 - 40 of 59 Posts