How Many Have Thrown A Chainsaw

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by WolfWalksSoftly, Dec 30, 2006.

1. WolfWalksSoftly

WolfWalksSoftly Level II -Inappropriate

Chainsaws can be downright aggravating.

I have done it. Thrown into the back of the truck

I have done it when no one was watching. Thrown it in the woods.

I just quit cutting for the day.

2. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

I never really had the urge.
    I've cussed them a lot. And, I've spit at 'em.
    I tend to think inanimate obects don't have much feelings tho.
    I guess if I really wanted to "hurt" a chainsaw, I'd wait 'til I was
    ready to buy a new one. And I'd take a big hammer to the old one.

Sooooo............I generally just give 'em "ned". I go sit down a while,
    to get my blood pressure down.
    Then I go back at it in a more harmonious mood.
    Works every time f'r me.
    Have Fun.

3. Yeti

Yeti Well-Known Member

sounds like you need a "Nerf" Chainsaw.

4. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

In my experience about 90% of chainsaw problems are caused by the operator, the most common problem being using a saw with a dull chain rather then sharpening it. Of the other 10%, 9% of those are people using saws that are well past their useful life expectancy.

Buy a good saw, take good care of it, learn how to sharpen it and how to use it. The chainsaw is probably the one tool I couldn't do without.

Pete

5. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I've never abused my saw in such a way, but I did once fling a fence strecher into a beaver pond.

6. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmmmmm This reminded me of something that happen to me when Hurricane Hugo came through----But I have never thrown a chainsaw, Felt like it--LOL,--I was a firefighter, we were clearing the roads in our area in case we hade a emergency-------had a tree that was across the road, with a power line under it----so "SMART BUTT" me figured there was alot of tension on the line so my thought was to cut the tree right above the line, figuring as the tree was being cut it would rise some and I could quickly back away with the saw in hand---the tree would snap--line go up--had it figured out--------so I cut---I would saw just a little----jump back---no movement---saw a little deeper---jump back --no movement---saw a little deeper, just a 1/4 of a inch--then I seen movement, but only a small amount, soooooooo I sawed just a touch---------making sure I stood as far away as my arms allowed-------let me put it this way----your brain does not function as fast as a power line can rise under pressure. It took my chainsaw with it---the on looker firefighters said my chainsaw went into the air at least twice as high as the tree's---maybe 150 to 200ft---I didn't see it because the rising tree that was laying on the line, shot over me. knocked me down, my teeth got knock almost out as I slammed into the hwy pavement, cracked my jaw, had to get braces on my teeth---------second thought----You made me think of a BAD thought. But those firefighters called me chainsaw for a long time. I can laugh now, but the only way I got those teeth fixed was a few years later I had them pulled and put in a partial. Sorry you had a Bad Day--I Did Too. Randy

7. tinknal

Randy, yer lucky it wasn't yer head flying over the trees...... :eek:

8. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Some days things don't go right :shrug: and things get beat and thrown :grump: .Some things get lost to never be found :shrug: .Thats when you get New Things. :dance:

big rockpile

9. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey I Was So Smart----I knew to keep my head back---------------Really I WAS Stupid!!!!!!!!! Let the power company handle------Not Me--------I Got a Education that day!! Hey I look on the bright side of things-------Shoot now if someone says-----you got something between your teeth---I can pull them out and see---------LOL------Redneck Joke!!! Randy

10. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

cant say that i have but just about everything else

11. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

Amen to that. Aren't those things a pain?

My Stihl hasn't given me any problems... Not sure if I would toss it either. There are lots of expensive parts to replace if they get broken. Now a fence stretcher? I tried to throw it through a tree!

12. tinknal

I suppose I need to tell the story of how I got my old Sthil. I traded it off an old friend of the family. He was around 60 at the time. He had had the saw kick back and cut a huge gash on his forehead. This caused him to swear off chainsaws. Well, when I got the saw from him, the clutch was bound up somehow. I took it apart and wound around the clutch was a long piece of wire along with bits of bloody straw. Now the guy I got the saw from always wore a cowboy hat, straw in the summer. The wire was from around the brim of the hat! Prolly saved his brains from leaking out.

Now fast forward about 8 years. Same guy is along the road working on a fence. He is cuttin willow brush. He has a saw.......... Well he flags me down. I stop and he says "I can't get this blankety blank saw to work". He had bought a new modern saw with a chain brake on it. The brake was on. I pulled the guard back to disengage the brake and showed him how it worked. He said "now why the #@%& did they put that on there"

I told him it was to keep it from eating cowboy hats........

13. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I take it your chainsaw isn't a Stihl, Jonsered or Husquavarna.

14. tinknal

I have another story CF. The old stihl wasn't running good. It would start, but when I hit the throttle it would die. We have a brand new Sthil dealer here. I dropped it off and they called me back and told me the crank bearings were shot, and it was too old for them to find new ones. Well I know an old timer who has been a dealer and has worked on them for years. I figured that if anyone would have the parts, he would. About 30 miles away. Dropped it off, and he called me to pick it up 2 hours later, fixed, good as new. All it needed was a new (oh heck, I can't remember the name.....that rubber membrane in the carb....) Anyway, about 30 bucks. Now I know better than to use the dealer in town.

15. catahoula

catahoula Well-Known Member

It seems like every thread like this, has a post in it like this one, " the problem with your tractor, rifle, pump, truck, motorcycle, dog, neighbor, pig, fishing pole, computer, wood pile, shovel, toe nails, rainy day, is you, what you need to do is get new one, a better one, and learn more about it." It comes off as being pretty condescending, even if it wasn't meant to be that way. The poster wasn't asking for advice he was telling a story, his chainsaw hacked him off so he threw it. The corect response is "heck ya I've thrown tools, I've even thrown golf clubs", the up side is it feels good to send that sucker sailing through the air as you nurse your bleeding knuckles, the down side is searching through the stubble field for the tool you just threw. Never push a wrench.

16. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

pull pull pull pull pull pull pull
    rest

rest

THROW? heck now I cant even wave!

17. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

Catahoula, it's called thread drift and it happens.

We have a Husquavarna. Works fine. I don't use it but hubby does.

My object that I wanted to trebuchet was my Nordic Track. I had used it 5x a week for almost a full year. Only lost 8 lbs. Got totally disgusted and threw it out in my yard, did same with my weight bench and weights/barbells. Wow, that was a workout! Especially sheepishly taking them all back inside in full view of the neighborhood.

I'll start again this Jan 1st. Maybe I'll lose another 8lbs??

Pat

18. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

BIL had to throw one when he began to lose control of it while it was running. He was sawing up posts for the dock, and into the river the chainsaw went.

19. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

I cant say Ive thrown one out of frustration though I have thrown one while trimming limbs.
    when a limb bounces back and knocks the ladder out from under you its best if the chainsaw lands far from where you do .
    Some saws are just lemmons.
    we had a stihl that would run great and die the instant it got close to a tree.
    I bought a cheap poulen last year piece of junk has locked up three times spent more time working on it that using it. I still have a homelite xl I got when I was 12 that runs and cuts great have had to replace the clutch bar and chain more than once over the years but otherwise its never failed to start on the thrid pull .
    The biggest problem Ive seen with people and chain saws is the fuel mix either being too rich (not enough oil) or to lean (to much oil)

20. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

I've never thrown one. My neighbour, on the other hand, set one in the front of his forage wagon after trimming a branch bringing out corn silage and blew it 60' up the pipe on the side of the silo. We were all amazed that it made it all the way to the top but you couldn't really recognize what he brought back down.