How many gpm does your well put out?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by EasyDay, May 14, 2005.

1. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

And do you feel it's enough? Neighbor down the road gets 5-6 gpm, but my friends cousin who's in construction says they look for 12 gpm when building a new home.

Please let me know your thoughts on this. Our well will be going in next month, I hope.

Thanks, oh great ones! :)

~Easyday

2. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

Guess it must depend on where you live. Here in New England it used to be 3gpm for a mortgage. Our well recovers at about 1gpm but the well is 400 feet deep and has over a 300 foot static level which means we have about 300 gallons in storage in the well so even with a small recovery we still have a good deal of water for what we need.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

A steady 3 gpm with storage will run a couple of homes just fine.

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I'm blessed with a 35 gmp flow and pump. It will do that hours on end without faltering.

5. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine puts out 12.5 gpm, which is considered by the county to be sufficient flow for two residences. I had it sited close to the edge of the next property over, so that if anyone ever builds there, we might share the well...they could get their water at half price, and I could re-coup some of the $12,500 (!) I laid out for it. I think when I put it in, the going rate was $20 a lineal foot (down), and now the rate is $33/ft.

6. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Thanks for all of your answers.
    Windy.... 35 gpm? Wow! Mtman tells me that 5-6 gpm will be plenty, so I'm hoping to get that.
    Thanks, agmantoo, for backing up mtman by saying 3 is plenty for a couple houses. It'll just be him and me, so I'm sure we'll be okay with whatever we get.

One last thing,
    HOLY SMOKES, SNOOZY!! Over $12K for a well? OUCH! Most folks in our neck o' the woods pay around $3K to get good water. I hope that's all it'll cost us, too.

Thanks again!

7. TnTnTn

TnTnTn Well-Known Member

We had a new well drilled but it is not online yet. It is 165' deep and cost us about $1200. It was 73' to solid rock. Our flow is 8.5 gpm as measured by driller blowing well with compressed air and running thru a flowmeter. This seems like a great flow to me and will be more than enough water to supply our place. We have bunch of spring water down in holler(100' vertical and 600' horizontal) but I didn't want to run power and pipe down to a very nice pristine cove forest setting. Our existing well has much less flow but has good water and never dries-just have to give it time to recover. TnTnTn

8. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

:D Dang I'm doing good with my 33 gpm.Told them when I had them drill it I want to water Stock,Garden and the House and I didn't want to run out of Water.

big rockpile

9. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............Oh miss SnooZy....can I do a little Skinny Dippin'...in your Jakoozy :p :eek: :cool: fordy ???

10. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Was that price just labor or whole package? I need a well, about the same depth, no rock, and could pay them extra to drop down to north Mississippi!

11. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

42 gpm with a one horse pump, zero drawdown,
    but when well drillers stopped drilling they said the well could produce 1200 gpm if we had had it drilled larger (it's 8 inch drilled, 6 inch cased) and had a big enough pump.
    We hit the motherload!

12. TnTnTn

TnTnTn Well-Known Member

Old Horse, $1200 was the total price. The well must be cased about 10' or so into the rock so the cost of casing(depth to rock) is a factor. Now we will build the 'wellhouse', buy the pump, storage tank, electrical supply and water lines etc. That will probably run another $1000 or so. TnTnTn

13. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

We hit water at 85' ... getting 6-8 gpm. Wasn't satisfied, so went down to 305' more or less (the bottom dropped out of the well, hitting an underground river) ... getting 18-20 gpm.

14. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

Just put in the well for our retirement home. 85' to bed rock and 185' total with 10 gpm---very happy...Joan

15. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Ours is rated @ 22GPM, we're getting 11GPM, do to pump size. Plenty of water...

16. Bob_W_in_NM

Bob_W_in_NM Well-Known Member

Mine will yield about 50 gpm. With the 3 hp submersible I have in it, it will do 30-35 gpm. If you have sufficient storage though, you could get by on 1/2 gpm.
    (There are lots of really low yield wells out there.) 1/2 gpm x 24 hours = 720 gallons per day That would take care of a household if you were prudent with your water use. (Probably no outside watering at that rate.)

I've been told that an "average" garden hose, running full bore is about 5-6 gpm.

17. snoozy

Ha! I can hear the ukelele playing now! :haha:

18. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Thanks to all of you. I'm beginning to get a clearer picture of what we'll need.
    Jeez, so I have to tell dh he's right (again!!). :rolleyes:

19. snoozy

And just imagine -- it's cheaper in this county west of Puget Sound than well-drillers are getting over in the counties east of the sound. Our well is 327 feet deep, and that $12,500 included the submersible pump and tank, too.

20. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Our well puts out about 1.5 gpm....and we are happy to have it!! Most of the water in local area where we live has lots of iron...we drilled 350 feet through solid granite and got lucky and hit a good clean source of water. Static level is about 150 feet...with proper well controls and enough storage you can make do......until you leave a faucet open by mistake...