Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a few posts here and there that hint that some other Firefighters (my husband) or Paramedics (me) might be lurking. Just curious. Where do you work (urban, paid, volunteer, rural)?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
(waving~~) Hi Becky! Both DH and I are full-time paid medics. We work just outside of Boston for a busy private ambulance service. :)

DH started out in the 70's working for NYC*EMS.... I'm not nearly that *ahem*... experienced!

He and I were both at one time paid professional (union) jakes, but that's a whole 'nuther ball o' wax.......

:)

·
Registered
252 Posts
You know how sick it is? If God forbid, a family member broke their limb today and 911 was not available, I would be searching the Internet, provided it's there to see what I can do. We don't even know the basics of care.

Would be nice if we had a sticky for emergencies, such as broken limbs, high fever, etc. etc. I know, it is illegal to offer medical advice, "whatever", but maybe in a "opinion" type of format. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
forfreedom - Check out S&EP - Angie's forum - you'll find some *excellent* info on the basics of care in emergencies. Also here is the Alternative Health forum, another good resource!

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I highly recommend a CPR class for everyone; they are offered by local hospitals or community centers, sometimes even schools or libraries. If we can be of any help, just PM us! We love to share our opinions, lol.

Shelleydar, you sure do count!

Murron, wow, NYC!!! Did you guys meet on the job? I bet you can get pretty busy in Boston!!!

Jan, how far from the station is he? Bet he sees a lot of service.

Hubby and I both work in Baltimore City. We have a few tales to tell, lol.

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
My hubby is a paid firefighter of nearly 14 years now. Actually he's passed his driver's exam and is just waiting for a spot to open. Me too, since he'll get a nice raise when that happens!

Oh, and while he claims to have no interest in being a paramedic, all our guys are EMT basics, and a lot are either intermediates or paramedics.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
We have a neighbor who was an EMT in Lost Angeles. His stories sure are eye-poppers.

My DH trained as an EMT and did ride-alongs before I met him. Good guy to have around in an emergency! My sister-in-law has it really good - my brother is an ER doctor AND trained as an osteopath, so he can give her chiropractic adjustments. Lucky duck! :)

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
I know - we have several volunteer departments around our town's paid department, and I know a lot of our old rigs get donated to them, because they just can't afford the expense.

I remember Lance saying one of our newer rigs cost about a quarter of a million, and that was without the equipment - tools, hoses, etc.

We also have quite a few guys on our department that are also volunteer in addition. I believe one of our retirees is actually chief for a local volunteer department.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am the Chief of our rural volunteer fire department. My wife is an RN,she makes all of the EMS calls with me. We have a 13 person all volunteer dept.

·
Momma, Goatherder etc....
400 Posts
paid medic in a small city, started out at 16 on volunteer ems squad it does help you keep your head on during emergencies by doing it for a living. They need to teach classes however on how to live a 24 hour on/48hour off schedule.

Take care - Thea

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
DH is a retired FF/EMT he volunters now.DS #1 was FF in the Air Force now is in NM.DS #2 is FF /EMTnear here. I am a FF but don't practice.My dad was FF in the USFS.Also several uncles and cousins.Must be in the blood line. I only took the classes so I could ride in DH truck when he was Chief.:cool:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts