how many days after rain to work garden?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by leigha, Apr 24, 2006.

1. leigha

leigha Well-Known Member

It rained a good bit last Thursday and Friday, a llittle mist on Saturday morning, then sunshine ever since. Is it okay to till the garden this afternoon getting ready to plant or should I wait? I'm in North Alabama if it makes a difference. The soil doesn't stick together when I dig down below the surface, it seems nice and crumbly, but I don't know. Seems like it rains every third day here so I'm having trouble getting the garden planted. I don't want to compact the soil. Any advice?

2. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

A "good bit" doesnt give much idea of how much rain. Amount of rain, how well the soil drains, What your using to work the garden all playing to "WHEN"

3. leigha

leigha Well-Known Member

Sorry, need to be more specific. I'd say it rained at least an inch, an inch and 1/2, soil drains well, garden sits up on a little rise, we won't actually till, we'll probably run the disc over it one more time and then the harrow pulled by a '68 Cub Cadet, not as much weight as a bigger tractor. Thanks for the reply.

4. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

If your in the Channel 19 viewing area You can probably start today or tomorrow unless your garden has standing water.

5. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

That's what you're looking for. The amount of rain compared to number of days doesn't matter. Look at and feel your soil. When it seems nice and crumbly you're good to go. If it sticks together or feels muddy it needs to drain more.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

As long as it's crumbly and not standing in water you're good to go. My soil is so sandy I can work it within minutes of the rain stopping even after a hurricane. Don't ask me how I know this. (laughing)

.....Alan.

7. leigha

leigha Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. That's what I needed to hear. We'll shoot for tomorrow. I kinda knew the answer already just needed to have some confirmation.

8. Thoughthound

Thoughthound Well-Known Member

The old farmers in Iowa say that you ball up some soil about the size of a golf ball.

Drop it from about three feet high. If it doesn't break apart, it is too wet.

If you are using heavy machinery, skip the dropping part. Under these circumstances, the ball of soil should not hold its round shape in your hand. It should crumble as you hold it.