Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got curious and don't know if there's a thread on this. Pardon me if it's a repeat! How many companion animals do you have?

For us it's 5,plus 5 goldfish(don't know if they "count" but they are soothing to watch):D

We have 2 mix dogs (from shelters) one short flat hair but German Shepherd looking and one heeler/lab and 3 cats (black,fine stripe and tortoise)

Our cats are not great mousers...very sporadic....so I count them as all companions.

·
Registered
410 Posts
We have 4 dogs. Luckily the DW is allergic to cats.

1st Tess 1/2 Basset hound and 1/2 Boston terrier

2nd Zoey Chihuahua

3rd Corkie Welch Corgi

4th Remmy 1/2 Pug 1/2 chihuahua

5th Tonya my wife:facepalm::D

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
We have a lot-- 6 dogs, assorted cats (mostly wild), and a few ponds of gold fish with tadpoles, little catfish, etc. We buy goldfish by the pound from the bait shop then put them in the ponds.

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
We have two dogs:

Tango - 2 yr old Smooth Collie
Jet - 4 yr old English Setter

four cats, a fish (maybe more lost in the 55 gal tropical tank) and I don't think my 15 ducks quite count, as they do lay a few eggs now and then.

For us, not very many, but we are slowing down. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
She thinks she is a lap dog!
She really does climb up.
I can't feel my legs in a few seconds but it sure warms my heart!

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
I have 5 dogs:
Sophia, English Bulldog
Millie, German Shepard
Talley, Cathoula
Pal, 1/2 Blue Heeler 1/2 Blue Tick Hound
William, Tri-Pawd Great Pyrenees.

Pal and Talley are ranch helpers.

We do all breed horse rescue. I have 21 of my own, plus one tiny mini that is 29" tall that came here for medical care. When he is healed up (catastrophic eye injury resulting in fully involved whole eye ulcer untreated for nearly two years), he will be heading back to his new home.

Most of my horses are used in western disciplines and trail riding, a few are Dressage and/or Eventers that I ride. Mostly mine are Thoroughbreds and Quarter horses, but I have a couple of Mustangs, a paint, an Appendix, and a few we aren't sure of:)

We have 5 standard donkeys.

4 cats, indoor/outdoor, two girls, two boys.

21 Guineas, and probably that many assorted Bantys, most of which are silkies.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
I have 5 dogs:
Sophia, English Bulldog
Millie, German Shepard
Talley, Cathoula
Pal, 1/2 Blue Heeler 1/2 Blue Tick Hound
William, Tri-Pawd Great Pyrenees.

Pal and Talley are ranch helpers.

We do all breed horse rescue. I have 21 of my own, plus one tiny mini that is 29" tall that came here for medical care. When he is healed up (catastrophic eye injury resulting in fully involved whole eye ulcer untreated for nearly two years), he will be heading back to his new home.

Most of my horses are used in western disciplines and trail riding, a few are Dressage and/or Eventers that I ride. Mostly mine are Thoroughbreds and Quarter horses, but I have a couple of Mustangs, a paint, an Appendix, and a few we aren't sure of:)

We have 5 standard donkeys.

4 cats, indoor/outdoor, two girls, two boys.

21 Guineas, and probably that many assorted Bantys, most of which are silkies.
I have to say, that although horses and donkeys and birds may not seem like it, they make wonderful companions!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies so far! It's a good feeling to see how many folks just plain love their critters for who they are!
I have 3 hens and 4 top bar bee hives that do well "earning their keep" so I didn't call them "companion pets" at first post; but they All are in some ways,arn't they?.... :D:thumb:

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
3 indoor cats as companions. Cats, pigs, goats, chickens are outside an even if they are working or serve a purpose, we enjoy giving them pets and treats for as long as they are with us.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Four indoor cats, Mr. Pips, Bugs, Daisy Mae Buttons, and Anniebell Ding Dong. One outdoor kitty at the moment, Nosy, the super mouser.

One Cavalier puppy, Jenny. I've never had a small dog before. I've always had Goldens, English Shepherds, large mixed breeds. She is such fun. Braver than any large dog I've had.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Even though our LGD serves a purpose, I consider him our companion!

Right now we have:

Alfred (Ras): A Komondor
Cadi (pronounced Katie): Pyrenees/Border Collie mix
Charlie: Beagle/corgi mix

And three cats!
Bruce - Regular ol' black/white tuxedo
Ivy: Long haired tiger tabby
Lilibelle - A tuxedo kitten :)

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
I've got a 2-3 year old male tabby cat, a female boxer I have no idea of age, but I'd guess 5-7 years old, and a blue and gold macaw that is around 11-12 years old.. We're guessing he's a male..

Reactions: beegrowing
1 - 20 of 35 Posts