How many cattle on 2 acres?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tunicamom, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Tunicamom

Tunicamom Member

I have approx. 2 fenced acres and would like to start raising some cattle. If it goes well, I may enlarge to the other 10 acres. About how many calves can a person raise on 2 acres? The pasture is good. There is one horse on it now, but will be gone soon. Also, when would be a good time of the year to start?

2. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

One, if you buy extra feed. Some parts of the country, you can't even do that. Or you could start a feed lot, raise quite a few and buy feed.

Have you thought about goats?

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

One per acre is a pretty heavy rate. You would need to plan to buy some bit of additional feed at times.

If you plan on feeding them mostly all the time & the pasture is just roughage bit, then you can put 2-3 per acre & the grass should survive, if get real short at times.

Smaller critters such as goats or sheep may be more appropriate for such a small area.

--->Paul

4. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

It depends on where the acre is located. Check with local Farm Service Agency.

5. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

6. treefrog

treefrog Well-Known Member

i run three and sometimes four cattle on a little less than five acres. i have to buy some hay in the winter, and i also give them about a coffee can per head of 16% protein sweet feed every few days, more often in the winter when grass is growing slower. i reccommend the occasional feeding of sweet feed or other grain based feed for a couple reasons. first, it assures ample protein in the diet. second, if you have thought ahead far enough to build a "catch pen" with the feed trough in it, you will never have to chase cows again. just rattle their trough, and they'll come a-running.

pax
    t.f.

7. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

2 acres or rock or desert = 0 cows
    2 acres of poor pasture = 1 cow
    2 acres of good pasture = 2 cows

2 acres of good pasture with Dexter cows on them = 3 or 4

8. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

You mentioned calves, so my answer would be six if you bottle feed all six and sell at a weight of no more than 350lbs. Keep in mind that the calves will need calf starter/ grower each morning and evening to supplement their bodies needs. If you want to buy larger animals than I agree with everyone else ONE head possibly TWO if you have top quality field growth. Tennessee John

9. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

in my area (east colorado) you would get about 1/10 to 1/20 of a cow for a year on that little of ground, and this year you may need 40 to 80 acers for one cow calf unit, with the drouth

10. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

depends on the land. we put up around 30 bottle calves every year in a 56x56 barn. when old enough we turn them out on a 5 acre pasture for the next few months and sell them come october. i still almost triple my money and the 5 acres looks virtually untouched and i dont feed alot of hay etc to suppliment the pasture. we sell them at around 500 pounds each.

11. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

If it's good stuff (alicia bermuda), and you fertilize it - 2.

Especially if you are raising a calf for beef, never raise just one in a pasture.