how long

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marvella, May 29, 2006.

1. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i gave 4 builders copies of the new house plans 2 to 3 weeks ago. how long should it take them to get an estimate together?

i'm getting' antsy. :dance: :)

2. marvella

okay, i'm gonna run this by y'all one more time....

anyone? does the question make sense?

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Okay, you're asking these guys to spend a fair amount of time and money to come up with a bid with the knowledge that they may not even get the job (that's looking at it from their perspective). Right now is the peak of the construction season and they are as busy as heck. If you nag them for a bid, chances are they'll high roll their bid just to get you off their back. With that said, you are doing the right thing...getting more than one bid. You'll just have to be patient. The time to have done this was last winter.

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Cabin said it well - they are busy building now - not doing paperwork, you could wait months if they are all booked & have enough work. The paperwork gets done a lot quicker in their off-season if you plan ahead for them, when nothing else is going on...

Sorry.

--->Paul

5. marvella

big ol' fat sigh.

thanks y'all!

6. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

When they need your money, they will respond. You are in the position of having to wait for them to ask you to dance. Sigh...

7. marvella

this is sure a big learning curve for me.

i had kind of hoped i had weeded out the guys who were too busy. all of the local big name guys didn't even return my call. presumably because at less than 1000 sq. ft. they didn't want to fool with it.

i ended up with one guy who seemed like he hadn't ever done it before, and his hands were shaking a lot at 10 am, which made me wonder if he drinks. :shrug:

another guy i found said he would bid on it. he was recommended by one of the bigger name guys, as a good worker.

another guy was recommended by a friend who builds houses for fun, and this is who he hires when he needs help. this is the one i hope for, but he too may be too busy.

and the last guy was a young guy, just trying to get a business started and i think it may be a side job for him. he's my second choice.

i still have 3 more names to try if all these fail to pan out.

i just don't know how long i should give the guys who already have plans to come up with an estimate, before i call these last 3 names.

apparently, 6 months is not too long. i could have done this in the winter if i hadn't wasted so much time trying to figure out how to get a materials list i really didn't need. :grump:

my son says building a house may be the number one most stressful thing someone does in their life.

i don't need more stress, but i sure would like a new house.

8. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Just beware of any builder who gives you a quick turnaround time with a bid this time of year. It probably means he isn't working right now. The reason he isn't busy this time of year is because........

9. marvella

yeah, that guy with the shaky hands.... even if he comes in low, i just might pass.

i have a magazine article i ripped out and saved that advised tossing out the highest and lowest bids. the lowest because he's probably desparate for work and might cut corners, and the highest because he probably doesn't need or want the work.

thanks one and all for the advice!

10. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

I hate to admit it, but...

I’m one of those contractors that don’t return your calls. If I’m not busy I will, but when I have five guaranteed jobs going that all want me to start next week, it takes an absolute visionary to think about pricing work I may or may not get six months from now.

Pete

11. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

if i wasnt so busy id say send me a copy id look at them i never built anything before but what the heck