How long would you wait?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Ark, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

I have a doe (Maggie) who I really thought would kid last night.
    I put her in the kidding pen at 7pm - she had NO ligaments at that point and her udder had filled up.
    I checked on her every hour during the night. NOTHING happening. :flame:
    No contractions, no distress. Just chewing her cud and happy for the hourly visits. :rolleyes:
    This is her third kidding on our farm.
    First: tangled up triplets that I had to rearrange. But, she was pushing HARD and yelling her distress, so I knew I had to do something that time. It was my first kidding season and I had read everything I could so I was able to figure it out. The outcome was 3 healthy kids, and Maggie was fine.
    Second: last year she had twins with no help and all was fine, but her twin sister Mattie had a HUGE buckling that killed her. Mattie's uterus tore and the vet couldnt save her. I helped the vet do a c-section on her and we pulled out the dead kid, but she was so torn up that he had to put her out of her misery.
    Third: this year. No ligaments and no contractions for 12 hours. How long would you wait before going in and checking things out? I always waited until it was obvious they needed help, but that was not soon enough for Mattie and I dont want to lost Maggie too!

2. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

If she is showing no signs of distress, most likely she is not in labor yet.Ligaments can appear to disapear, for quite awhile b-4 they actually do go into labor-sometimes we just miss the last little bit of them(they aren't actually gone) they can bag up quite awhile b-4 labor also. If you are really worried, it wouldn't hurt her for you too insert a clean finger into her and see if you feel any opening in the cervix. The only time i had a doe--showing absolutely NO signs of labor--did--have a small water bag hanging out, upon examination-a large buck was malpositioned against an open cervix, somehow eliminating any signs of labor(?) In all likely hood, she is just getting ready-especially w/her kidding history. So sorry about her sister, so sad. Good luck,all will likely be fine.

3. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

do you have her exact due date? if she is not in disstress i would not do anything right now.
    i understand youe concerns. sorry you lost her sister.

4. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

Hang in there a bit longer. My doe is on her second freshening and "appeared" to have lost her ligaments last saturday. She got just a bit messy the last two days so we are still waiting. She has been bagged up for about a month. She is not in labot=r and not in any distress so we wait. I know it is frustrating ( I have lost a lot of sleep getting up and checking her on the camera - thank god for the camera-all night for a week) but they will come when they come. Don't forget, it could be anywhere from 143 - 155 days. I have to leave town for 4 hours tonight, watch this will be the big night! hope everything works out for you both.

5. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I agree with the others. WAIT. you have gone through this before and you know what you are doing and what to look for if she is having trouble. I would bet you are going to go out in a little and find beautiful babies.

6. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Her exact due date is 5 days away. She's my 3rd doe to kid, and they all went 5 days early for some reason! The weather has been atrocious, so that's probably why... ?
    She's still eating and chewing her cud and wishing I'd let her out of the kidding pen. The LM who kidded already is in a pen right next to her with only cattle panel in between so she's not toally alone. I just dont want her going out in the mud and snow to kid...
    Thanks everyone for the input - I'll just go out and check on her right now and see how she is.

7. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

ark i wish you luck :) keep us posted :)

8. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Ark, Something you might want to do. I know you don't want to leave her out of the pen for fear that she wil kid outside. Is it possible to let her out while you are home? Maybe let her spend some time out while you feed or whatever. Goats need to stay active. They need that exercise. I am right with you. I always pen them up, but I try to let them out for several hours a day a couple times a day if at all possible. Good Luck.

9. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

It's tough to wait on a late girl.
    Most of mine have been right on the money or a little early but last year one was quite late – don't have the dates in front of me but it was 5~6 days past due. Worried me to death. Finally the ligaments went and number one came out fine. Number two needed a little re-arranging of the legs to come out but did.
    I agree with the notion that if she's not in distress just keep an eye on her and try to keep your anxiety in check.
    Good luck.

10. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Sweet Goats, I went ahead and let her out for a couple hours because I was thinking that very same thing!
    When it stopped raining and the herd moved off, she stayed under the deck so I took her back to the barn and she kidded about 1pm. :)
    Two very large kids. Buck and doe. Everything went well.
    And I know for a FACT that our LM buck was locked up when Maggie was in heat and couldnt possibly have gotten out so WHY are the kids half LMs? Waaaaaahh!! :Bawling:
    Pics tomorrow.

11. pokyone42

pokyone42 Well-Known Member

Near Bath NY.. dumb name for a town, huh?
    well, comgrats!!!!!!! :) just glad it all went well!!!!!!!

12. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

Lucky you! glad everything "came out" ok. Wish my girl would get busy.

13. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Glad to hear all went well... what breed of goat is Maggie? Since you mentioned the kids are half La Mancha :D

14. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Maggie is a registered Nubian and this is her 3rd kidding here - this year, I was going to keep a doe kid from her because she is a WONDERFUL milker...
    I'm SO disappointed. :Bawling:
    I could still keep the doe kid, but out here in the middle of nowhere, it's much easier to sell registered kids, than cross breeds. So I have to look farther into the future than just the fact that she will probably be a great milker like her mom.

15. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Ah.. ok. I can see that. In that case you have my sympathy, but at least all is well and the kids are healthy :)

Cheers
    Deb