How long will he SSSTTTIINNKK??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by yarddog4jc, Sep 14, 2006.

1. yarddog4jc

yarddog4jc Well-Known Member

I have the sweetest little buck. He is a San Clemente Island goat. Kind of smallish. Great little guy. He will be a year this Christmas. But all of the sudden...He SSTTIINNKKSS. Will this odor go away? How long will it last?

2. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Your buck is in rut and will stink until rut is over, which, in my part of the world happens about February. If you do not plan to use him for breeding, you can wether him and he will no longer stink.

3. valhalladad

valhalladad Active Member

My buck had an air about them till around April. Best of luck, you'll grow to love it. MAYBE!!

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I would doubt it. I love my buck, but hate the smell. I try very hard not to need to touch him this time of year. The smell does subside some come spring.

I always tell my buyers that a buck is NOT a pet.

mary

5. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

if the bucks are allowed to rub against Alfalfa hay, it helps deoderize them, it wont take ALL the smell, but it will deffinatly help,

we used the big round bales and put the cattle pannels around it, the bucks would rub againds it and it helped alot

6. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

A San Clement goat? Please tell me you breed them! They are a VERY VERY rare breed, and if you don't already own some San Clemente Does, please find some and perpetuate the breed. If you don't, allow San Clemente Doe owners to use your buck as a stud! Don't fix him even if you DON'T like the smell!
    but yes, he will 'lower' the smell when he comes out of rut. Since he IS a buck, he will never loose that smell. It's part of being a buck.

7. Va. goatman

Va. goatman Well-Known Member

I don't even notice the smell anymore

8. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

We have two REAL stinky bucks right now..so bad that I was worrying about the neighbors, and we live in the country with neighbors at a distance. Then today, i walked outside and zap, i was hit with a a real unpleasant odor....the neighbors must have gotten pigs again...much worse than the musky smell of bucks. i much prefer a stinky buck or two...nothing against pigs.