how long will blood samples last?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I drew blood easily from 3 of my does. However, then we got to Cadee, who would not sit still... and I couldn't find the vein on. I believe I found the vein at least twice, and stuck her, but no blood came out... the main problem was holding her still; Even with three people it just did not work. I could not believe how hard it was to find a vein on her! On the others, it was feel around with my fingers/thumb and after like 2 seconds hold it off, stab, put the vial on, and then you're done! But Cadee... Was different. How'd she hide her danged jugular? LOL
    Anywho, I won't be getting back to drawing thier blood for several days now, the only day my dad can ship the package is on saturday. (tomorrow) but since I'm not able to finsh drawing today, how long will the three samples I collected last in the fridge, or will I need to draw them again next week if I get around to it? I think I may just have the vet do it, he'd be more efficient at it, IMHO. but the problem still exists that I don't trust my vet... Arg. Maybe I'll call the other vet, but I'm not too sure that he does house calls... Arg. Any suggestions?

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Refridgerated, the blood lasts a few days. But if I were you, I would call the lab directly and tell them what is going on with the blood. They can advise you and it may save you the trouble of drawing again. Even a vet that you don't trust to diagnose and medicate your goats should be able to draw blood. Which lab are you using? I used WADDL and called them 4 times with questions and they were VERY nice on the phone and answered all my questions very thoroughly and politely.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I'm using the pan american vet labs in texas. They're really nice, I talked to them today about sending payment. So blood lasts a couple days. Well shoot, maybe I'll just use my vet and tell him to do a housecall and just do them all at once... One of the main problems is that the form of restraint is hard for my friends to do...
    But I think I'll just get a vet out to do it... arg.
    thanks again...

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

dona don't give up :) draw blood again and i promise it gets easier and easier.
    vet will charge you arm and leg to do it.
    if your dad can send it off only saturdays draw the blood on friday. put the animals on the milkstand and you need only one person to hold the head up.
    i called waddl once and asked how long the blood will be good for testing and they said three weeks in the fridge but they prever to get it as fresh as possible to leave no space for errors