How Long To Kill Worms

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Gunner, May 30, 2005.

1. Gunner

Gunner Member

First off, I must thrash myself and say Bad Shepherd. I pulled my ram lambs off of the ewes last week and in the confusion of the working pen, we missed a ewe that has a severe case of worms.

I noticed her tonight with a loss of body condition and the Famanacha (don't know if I spelled that right) check shows she is pale white in the eye lids and gums. It only took a few minutes of chasing her in the pasture before she went down on her own. Poor girl is very weak, but she is still grazing. We dosed her with the recommended rate of Ivomec, and gave her a healthy dose of nutri drench. After about 15 minutes she got back up on her own is now back to grazing.

The way she gave up with little fight in trying to catch her and I have never seen gums and eye lids so pale, has me worried. How long does it take to see a positive change from the wormer? And finally should I re-dose her again with a wormer as a follow up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Gunner

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

The bulk of her worm burden should have passed through in around 12 hours but it's going to take a little time for her to get her condition on again so don't expect miracles. Don't drench her again until the recommended time - doing so will have no benefit and helps create drench resistance.

Just out of interest, we have a worm here called Barbers Pole Worm. This ranks as once of the nastiest and can pull a sheep down very quickly with none of the usual signs of a worm burden. The classic signs of it are white eyes and mouth. It usually affects hoggets more than older sheep but all are susceptible to it. Not all drenches cover it so if you have this worm, perhaps you should check that Ivomec covers it. I don't use Ivomec on my sheep so am not able to tell you.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You could give the ewe a shot of iron, to help speed things along. You should see some colour return after a week. Unless you used Ivomec+ you could have missed tapeworms and flukes but I've pretty sure regular Ivomec kills all other internal worms normally.

4. Gunner

Gunner Member

Thanks for the advice and feedback you two! She is looking a little more frisky this morning. I'm guessing they were Barber pole worms. I have never had worm problems until now, but the flock I got her from has had isolated problems in the past. Every time you think all is going well, something comes up to humble you and make you pay closer attention to the details.

Thanks again!

Gunner

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

After you've had sheep 4 or 5 years you'll be an expert, and by 12 years you'll know your way to relearn everything you thought you knew. If it makes you feel better I have 3 ewes with obvious worm problems, and they'll be gettign Ivomec tomorow.

6. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

The Barber Pole Worm (Haemonchus Contortus) is a nasty bugger, especially in areas that are warm and humid. Not only do they suck the blood right out of your animals but they secret an anticoagulant chemical in their mouths that allow the host's blood to continue to flow even after the worm dies from the wormers given to the host. A single female worm can lay 10,000 eggs, or more, daily. I fight this parasite every year here in Arkansas. Sometimes I win, sometimes it claims a victim despite my best efforts.

Good luck with your ewe. Keep us posted.