How long to get bred?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I was thinking about taking my does to the place I got my babies to be bred. He has a really beautiful Alpine buck. I asked him about it, and he told me he keeps the does there for about a MONTH!?!
    I couldn't leave my babies there for a month! I am thinking it is because the buck is mixed in with all the dry females...over a hundred does..he may not cover mine right away because he is basically presiding over a harem. He should be named Solomon, maybe?
    What is the usual procedure?

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

If you take your babies over there for a month and they are out there with all the other animals, they willl be bullied and chased from the food.
    Typically they come into heat every 21 days so a month would cover everybodie's cycle, what would be the best thing for you to do, (you are the gal with a lot of babies right?) If you are talking about breeding them next fall, buy a nice buckling, use him on all the girls and sell him in after. If its right now your girls are big enough to breed see if you can lease a buck, or somethin. I never leave my girls more than a few days and then only at a really, really trusted goat friends house.

3. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

For me it depends on the doe. If I know when forsure she is in season then you could take her as soon as you notice, and leave her a few days. I have one doe that is really hard to tell when she is in. She doesn't really flag or anything, so her I leave for a month, that way I make sure. If I have someone bring their doe over I have them leave them a month unless I see that she is in season and I see him get her.
    That is just what I do. I know some people are really worried about another animal coming to their house because is things that can be passed around. I know all the people and the animals so I am not to worried.
    Good Luck.
    Lori

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

You would get the same information from me. Now I wouldn't put your does out with my does, even coming from here, but I would make you leave them here for a month. A 4H gals doe is here right now for the month being bred......

Your does have been coming in heat since they were 6 months old, maybe less, maybe more, each month every 21 days. If a new person has not noticed this to track the heats, to know that in 11 days Betty Sue will be in heat, than yes you get the advice to pen breed them, leaving a buck with them for 21 days. The idea that you will now be able to track heat in January...and bring them over to be bred right on time, when January and Feburary heats are queiter, and last hours rather than a day....is likely going to give you does who do not breed this year. Who may not be in heat in Feb, certainly not by March. So take them over to him to breed for you. How nice is that...that he is even willing to do this for you! Vicki

5. stoneymom

stoneymom Well-Known Member

I so stud servicing for the local 4H kids with does and I always like to keep them for 42 days. It is what I have found to work the best. I can be assured that everyone is covered and it has worked out very well.

Myra

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I do basicly the same thing. I like to keep them long enough to know they are bred though I can't always, depends on the owner and my space situation. Though I do not board the does with my herd. That to me would not be responsible. I don't want my herd stressing out the boarder does, and I also don't want to stress my herd by putting new does in the group. For me, keeping the does at his place wouldn't be the problem. The problem would be the question is he going to mix your girls with his herd?? If the answer is yes, I wouldn't do it. Too stressful.

7. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I offer stud service and hand breed so I know exactly when they've been covered. After they've been bred and out of heat, which can be from the day they get here (don't I wish!) to what turned out to be 17 days later on one doe, the owner then picks them up. I've never had a doe not settle from any who've come here for stud service. But doing it my way, you DO have to be very observant on heat symptoms. I take the does over to the buck a few times a day if they tend to be silent types.

8. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I can only tell when my black Alpine is in heat. She has been going into heat since she was four months old. She flags noticeably, and acts kooky too! The other two I haven't seen any signs of heat from, although I am pretty sure they must have had a least a cycle or two, as one is about a month older than the black one and the other one is only a week younger...

9. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I did not have the room to board goats for a month here this year. So what I did was have the owners bring their doelings over, pen them right next to my 8 bucks in their pen, and when they came in heat, bred them. I was standing right there and saw him do the deed several times. Then the owner came and picked them up. Doelings are usually hard to tell when they are in heat, especially if you do not own a buck.....

10. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

At my own place, I leave my goats I pen breed in with the buck for 30-45 days, especially doelings. Sometimes, the young girls don't conceive the first mating. As for other people's goats, I left one here for a month and the other visited when her owner knew she was in heat. I also take a few of my goats to friend's farms to be bred, but they are not put in with 100 goats. The Nigerians were in with the buck and 2 other does. They stayed a little over a month and were observed to be in heat the first week or so of that time. My boer does go in with about 25 goats and stay about 35-40 days. Both these goat breeders are friends of mine. We show together and I trust both of them. This year, I leased out one of my Nubian bucks to a woman who bought her does from me. This way, I didn't have to have 3 more goats here for a month. They have the option to buy the buck if they like him. I usually don't keep 3 bucks.