How long till goats kid??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BiGtImEfArMeRs4, Jan 5, 2005.

1. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

BiGtImEfArMeRs4 Well-Known Member

Okay, we have nine goats that are bred. In books (and some people) it says that 150 days (5 months) after a goat is bred that she will kid. Two of the nine goats which are Saanen's, they were bred for six months before they kidded. So now we are wondering if all goats have different lengths of time that they are bred for before kidding, or if all goats are bred for 150 days before kidding? If the different breeds of goats are bred for a different amount of time, then could anyone tell me how long Saanens, Nubians, Boers, and Lamancha's are bred for before they kid? All of our goats are between three and four and a half months bred, so we are hoping someone can tell us when we should be expecting, on the fifth or the sixth month.
    Thanks and God Bless!
    Heather

2. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

They are the same as people.
    Some are a little before and some are a little after the average time.

Goats 145- 150 days Average time.
    Some may be longer and some a little earlier.

No one can say for sure the exact time.

3. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

BiGtImEfArMeRs4 Well-Known Member

Thanks! Now we know to expect them within two weeks our first doe will have! Thanks sooo much!
    God Bless
    Heather

4. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Bumpas is correct some may go over 2 or 3 days like 153 but more than that I would sure start to worry. you said 6 mos on two of your saanens. Me thinks someone miscalulated or left the buck in with the does and they weren't bred when orignally thought.