How Long is Your Commute to Work?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Obser, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

According to http://reuters.myway.com/article/20..._01_N19219599_RTRIDST_0_ODD-LIFE-WORK-DC.html the average American commutes twenty-five minutes each way to work (as of 2000, which has probably not decreased).

Typical commuters spend 47 hours per year in traffic jams.

The record commute appears to be 370 miles round trip every day.

A lot of homesteaders still have “in-town” jobs that require commuting. How many miles and how many minutes do you spend traveling to and from work, and how many days per week?

2. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

I 'commute' 1.5 miles down the road to the neighbor's house where I work off board on my horse! I also drive about 11 miles one way to take my kids to school.

Dh, on the otherhand, currently commutes about 35 miles one way to work (about 40 minutes). However, that will soon change, as he was given the option to transfer or lose his job. We aren't moving (meanwhile, he has been sending applications out to closer places!) so his commute will become about 70 miles one way but because most of it will be city traffic instead of country then expressway driving we are estimating his drive in will be about an hour and a half on good days, up to three hours in bad weather or bad traffic.

3. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

About 30 feet or so.

4. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

I commute 50 miles 1 way to work. Takes a little under an hour.
    I have people that work with me that commute 20 miles and takes them a hour to get to work.

5. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

An hour and a half. Each way. Not many good jobs in this neck of the hills! I am lucky that most weeks I can work from home Tuesday and Thursday. Don has to go in every day for now.

6. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

I allow 1 hour in the mornings, usually takes me around 50 minutes. 45 minutes home in the afternoon....

So I spend about 8 hours a week sitting in a car burning $3.00 per gallon Gasoline. Or 32 hours a month. $240 a month on Gas.... Ok gonna go throw up my lunch :grit:

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

About an hour or so. Only thirty road miles, but the last five miles or so takes more than half the time.

.....Alan.

8. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

An hour each way - approx 42 miles each way.

9. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

5 minute walk - job is 3 blocks away from my house.

10. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

My commute is about an arms length since I put a workstation terminal, comfortable chair and 2 cup coffee maker by my bed. My morning commute to the bathroom before logging on line is 20 times longer. :)

11. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine was 1400 miles round trip last week. Next week will be 250 miles then 800 miles there. Then 200 miles to the next job then 700 miles to home. :grump: :grump:

Oh yeah, I get 8 mpg

12. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

About a 100 feet or so, I think that's how far the barn is from the house.

Here's the view in the fall:

[​IMG]

Stacy

13. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

30 miles, about 25min each way.

14. TEXKAT

TEXKAT Well-Known Member

I drive about 58 miles one way and it takes about an hour...mostly highway, I bypass the busiest parts of the city. I drive a little Saturn...gets good gas mileage, but it'd be better if I didn't run the a/c...uh, yeah, I'm in Texas...gotta have that a/c in the afternoons. ; )

15. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

2 miles and 5 minutes each way. Husband drives about 6 miles and 15 minutes each way. I guess we are pretty lucky, but we feel the gas crunch too.

16. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I was commuting 45 min to school at the university of AR everyday. Now that I am deployed I walk about a quarter mile to get to work. When I get home I will be farming/homesteading full time plan to be at home all the time except for selling at the farmers market twice a week may-oct and the occasional trip for a family picnic or trip to a good sledding spot. I may go back to school for one more semester as well as I want to use the last of my army college benefits.

17. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

My commute got so bad I bought an in-town condo. My morning commute now is about 10 miles and 15 minutes. It takes about 20-25 minutes to get home in the afternoon. This past Tuesday, I left work at 4:30 PM to make the 44 mile commute to the farm. I had some green lumber to stack from my weekend's work. That 44 mile commute was 1.5 hours, with a lot of stop and go on the way. What's strange and bothersome and scary (on the farm commute) is that when you finally break through a bottle neck and get up to freeway speed, you then come to a complete stop again...and there's no wreck or other impediment!! It just stops.

18. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

20 minutes on the bus--about 4 miles. Saves on gas and parking--the bus pass is $60 per month, taken out pre-tax.

But we're still in the city--the commute is almost the only good thing about it, as far as I can tell. We're hoping to move out around this time next year, best case scenario, and I'm already scoping out places. I'm hoping to be able to keep the commute under 45 minutes/within about 20 miles. That makes the properties harder to find and more expensive, of course--so we'll have to settle for less land than I'd like--but it will be worth it, because we both have long work hours, and we'll have little enough time to take care of home/animals/land as it is.

19. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Dh drives 18 miles one way. He doesn't have to take any major roads, just a nice country drive. He enjoys the drive now. Used to be he drove 30 miles one way on the freeway. Took ages, the traffic was horrible. He'd get home exhausted. I'm the lucky one, I get to stay home.

20. mom2girls

mom2girls mom2girls

DH has a 5km bike ride both ways, it takes him 12 min there and 15 home. He beats all the cars, even going up hill :dance: