How long is a cold contageous?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Ardie/WI, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Roger started showing symptoms on Tuesday. Wednesday, he was down in bed for an afternoon. He's going to live. :)

We've been washing hands like mad. I've been disinfecting door knobs, switch plates, the bathrooms. remotes, keyboards. mices, everything I can think of. He has his own water glass.

We're trying hard so I don't get a cold because bronchitis might set in. How long is he contageous?

We take so many precautions but he still has to go to the office where people sneeze and snuffle all over the place. (One of the reasons he hates going there.)

2. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

With a general cold, you're mostly contagious BEFORE you start showing symptoms, and maybe a couple days after your symptoms start. At least that's what my dad always said, and he's a doctor, so I think he would know. By the time you have full blown symptoms, you're not really contagious anymore, you're just miserable.

3. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

2 days before you start showing symptoms and at least 3 days after it starts.

If symptoms come on all at once it is probobly the flu... if the symptoms straggle in, it is probobly a cold.

4. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

No advice on the timetable but boy, do I feel for you! DH works and the kids manage to drag home EVERY cold around. It is a huge job for me to try to fight off the germs! I'm on my second bout of pneumonia for the year and not too happy about it :nono: I think I caught it pretty early so I'm hoping the antibiotics will kick in before it gets really ugly.

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds good Ardie. Looks like he can snuggle up agin.

6. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

Get him some zinc lozenges and tell him to be mentally strong - I've had a cold, well at least what passes for a cold for me. Couple of days, voice is still a bit hoarse but otherwise not feeling too bad. OJ, water, oranges, and some B complex. Couple of candy bars didn't hurt either LOL!! I am a firm believer that you can "mental" a cold, that is by not getting into the "I think I'm getting sick, I think I'm getting a cold". I see a lot of people think themselves into being sick.