how long have you gardened?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ceresone, Apr 24, 2006.

1. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

just curious-- i have since 6 years old, when my older brother harnessed me to the garden plow to make it easier on him to push--dad made him use cotton rope so it wouldnt burn me--lol--thats been 63 years ago--gardening every since, how about you?

2. Lythrum

Lythrum Well-Known Member

I helped my grandparents with their market garden from when I was about 7 or 8, our family didn't ever grow much of one on their own. My husband and I were in the military and we moved around and lived in base housing for the first 10 years of our marriage. We finally have settled down, and I have made a couple of unsuccessful attempts, but mostly the problem was that I tried to do too much too fast and didn't prepare adequately. So this year I have a very small raised bed that has a couple of tomato plants, some peppers and herbs in it. I figure I'll add a bed every year until I get up to the size I want, and maybe I'll have better luck. If I could grow vegetables the way that water hyacinth grows in my pond, we'd never starve. ;)

3. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I'm 45, and I don't ever remember not having a garden. My parents always had a big garden, and that's just always been a part of the summer, growing the garden and putting it all up.

4. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

36 years. As soon as my father left the Air Force my parents bought a house and had a garden. I hated it with a passion back then. I love it so much now I'm a market grower.

5. kbshorts

kbshorts Well-Known Member

I'm 45 too and grew up with parents that had a huge garden that fed us. I hated that darned garden! Now I find myself with a larger garden every year, funny how we change.
    KB

6. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

My greandmother told me before she passed I've been in the garden since diapers. I was telling her all my "new" techniques and how it worked for me. All the "new" techniques were what she, my aunt (not her daughter) and Uncle (again, from my Fathers side) had taught me before I knew I was learning how to garden. (my "new" techniques I thought were from FarmStead and or Mother Earth News from the late 70's early 80's. Again in reality, it was just how they gardened.)

I do feel at 63 years, you have me beat... I most have only been gardening for 55 - 56 years (I'm only 57). About the only thing new I've learned recently is from a Mother Earth News article (from the early 80's) about using a Pig Tractor. They till our garden for us and fertilize it too. (I use the wide row gardening which is also something I wasn't trained with.)

Pat

7. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Been working in the garden since 1975.

Been working in MY garden since 1988.

8. menollyrj

menollyrj Joy Supporter

I was free labor in my grandmother's garden during all of my childhood I can remember. This year is my very very very first garden all by myself (and DH, of course). It is a pretty good size - 13 raised beds, 3 ft x about 28 ft each. My MIL thinks I'm crazy to grow in beds, but I'm having a ball...

-Joy

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

I had my first garden at age ten. I'm forty four now. Haven't gardened continuously all that time though, but off and on as circumstances allowed.

.....Alan.

10. chicken

chicken Well-Known Member

I have been gardening since we moved out to our acreage and that will be 19 years tomorrow:) Love it! I am a self taught gardener but get a lot of advice from my step-dad who is 87 and has farmed and gardened for most of his life. He still gets "Garden of the Month" every summer. When they moved to town he bought the lot next to his house just so he'd have a place for a garden! Gotta love it. The neighbor helps him now the last 2 years. Up until then he and my mom did it all.

11. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I think I've been in the garden every year of my life. I can clearly remember being in the garden at age 4. My parents would gravel out potatoes and I would walk behind them,gathering up the potatoes. And,I can remember pestering my Dad to let me spread the fertilizer around,but he wouldn't let me because it was too harsh for my tiny hands. I don't know why I remember that so specifically,but I do.
    Before I was old enough to help,they would put me in a play pen on the edge of the garden. That way they could work and keep an eye on me at the same time.
    I think my very best memory is riding on the tractor. My Uncle would put me on the front of the seat and let me steer the wheel. I was about 4 or 5 yrs. old and I thought that was the best thing in the world.
    Alright,I'll stop there because I'm drifting and to be honest,I'm getting a little teary eyed! lol

12. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

I think since 1950 or '51, I got great experience helping my mother pull weeds to start. But later on a found out about mulching and have been an avid gardener, my own garden, since the 1960's. I'm a University Master gardener now. :)

13. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

LOL My grandpa in KY use to let me "drive the tractor to his dump in the holler a few miles down the road to when I was little I still have pictures. I have gardened since I was at least 4 or 5 I remember eating the sweet corn raw that I helped my mom plant at that age. Those were the days.......

14. menollyrj

menollyrj Joy Supporter

"Listening" to you guys reminisce makes me hopeful that my children will remember their gardening days fondly. I blocked off about an eight-foot section of a bed for my 5-yr-old to garden in. He planted onions, sunflowers, and some corn. I think there's still room for a cherry tomato and maybe a bush pumpkin... I hope he is making memories as cherished as yours.

-Joy

15. farmgal

farmgal Well-Known Member Supporter

wow ceresene, thats a long time gardening. You must have some good advise to share. I been gardening 31 years.

Marie

16. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I didn't have too opperate the hoe until around 1940. I was mostly a spectater the six years prior to then. I recall driving an old white stoved up horse pulling an antique 2 wheel cart to the pickle patch when I was 3 years old. My older siblings had to cultivate about an acre patch with that horse. Later they picked them and Dad sold them at the Heinz factory in our little home town. While I was driving the horse to the patch, I was sitting on the front of the cart with my legs crossed close enough to Old Rodney to touch him. He stopped and pooped right on the cart where my legs had been. Lucky for me I got my legs spread in time to avoid a direct hit. My 13 year old brother and another kid was sitting on the side of the cart. They hopped off and laffed their fool heads off at me. Made me mad. I was holding the lines and you never drop the lines no matter what. The next spring my father died. I was 4.

17. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

This is my first real garden. I've grown a few tomatoes and herbs before, but this is my first real veggie garden. I'm having fun so far. I've got three 4 X 24 veggie beds, one 4x12 potato bed and an 6 x 8 herb garden. The kids aren't too convinced yet, but they've grown up hating grocery store veggies and haven't ever had the real thing. DD is a little turned off about growing food in "horse poop" as she puts it! Hopefully I can change their minds. Wish me luck!

18. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Since I was born I'm sure since my parents were avid gardeners. First garden I can actually remember working in was at age four.

19. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

I remember when I was little I always planted pumpkins and zinnias. When I was 18 my aunt gave me some money and I spent it all on fruit trees. She was so mad at me. So off and on I guess except every year for the past 31 years.

20. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I am sure they will that is the way to do it just start them young! My twins age 2 and daughter age three love to "help" in the garden.