How long does opened apple cider last?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by KCM, Nov 4, 2007.

1. KCM

KCM Well-Known Member

I posted this in another apple cider thread but it did not receive a response. I do not want to further hijack that thread by repeating it there, so am opening a new thread. I hope somebody can help me out here.

How long will an opened glass jug of apple cider last in the refridgerator? I've got an open jug that has been in there a couple of weeks at least. I drink a little bit of it now and then.
    Should I be concerned about storing it too long after opening, and if so, then what specificaly should I be concerned about?

:)

2. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

If it is pasteurized it can last for weeks. Hubby leaves his in the fridge for weeks at a time after opening. We've only ever had one jug go off and I'm not sure it wasn't off when we bought it.

If it is fresh then I would suspect it after a week or so. If it is unpasteurized you might be able to make vinegar out of it, but I don't know the specifics on how to start it.

3. RichieC

RichieC Well-Known Member

Fresh unpasteurized cider will begin turning alcoholic pretty much immediately.

The good news is that it is even better with a little bite to it. Slightly more tart. Watch out for it, though. The alcohol content can get quite high (higher than beer).

After that, it turns to vinegar, but the vinegar is often not any good. Though sometimes it is great.

4. KCM

KCM Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies.

So basically, it starts to turn to alcohol or vinager?

Actually, I like to drink a glass of apple cider now and then with a full tablespoon of vinegar w/mother added. It gives it the tart that I like, and it helps relieve heartburn. So if it begins to turn to vinegar anyway, it just adds more tart. I can live with that, but I sure do not want to die from food poisoning of some sort.

5. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Freeze it. After thawing completely, it tastes exactly like it did just before you froze it. Leave a little head space so it doesn't expand and overflow.

6. no1cowboy

no1cowboy Single male homesteader

It turns to alcohol than to vinager in that order

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Can't remember ever having a jug of cider last more than 24 hours after opening it.

8. KCM

KCM Well-Known Member

Ok. Thanksh. [Hic]

9. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

How long does opened cider last? Not long around here once its gone hard :p