How long does olive oil last?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by lilyrose, Aug 20, 2005.

1. lilyrose

lilyrose Well-Known Member

Being new here I hope this is the right place to ask this question. If not, my apologies. :bow:

I found some Bertolli Extra Light olive oil in the back of my kitchen cabinet the other day. You know, where stuff you haven't seen in years hides! Like the kneading part of the breadmaker you got rid of 3 years ago. Stuff like that! :sing: It hadn't been opened yet, so that's the positive part.

Does anyone know how long olive oil lasts?

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

First off, welcome to the forums.

Since the O.O. is unopened it should be just fine. Pop the top and you can probably tell by smell as to whether the oil has gone rancid or not. Taste would be be my second choice of tasting.

Storage temperature has a lot to do with how long the O.O. will keep before turning rancid. I think that I have heard storage time also depends upon whether the oil is virgin, extra virgin, i.e. which pressing it came from.

You can always use the oil to place on water catchments to control mosquitoes if you can't use it in cooking. Lubricate something or coat something to slow oxidation would be other uses.

Again, welcome.

3. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Smell will tell you a lot, but cloudiness can occur as well. In this instance, I doubt that will be an issue, since it is unopened and no oxygen admitted.

You can always use it to oil your shovel blades/handles and other hand tools, like Windy said. Just rub it in with a cloth onto clean metal/wood.

4. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Smell and taste. Best indicators. we've kept a bottle of EVOO for years then use it. Never had one unopened go bad. :D

Kenneth in NC

5. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Lillyrose,

Like many who live the self reliant lifestyle I tend to stock up for coming times. I buy olive oil in the three litre cans...Bertolli is good and Star is also. I have opened these cans after three, four, even five years and the oil has been good.

I prefer the cans in order to keep the oil in the dark. When kept in clear glass often the light passing through can result in rancidity. This is a slow process and I don't worry about it for opened cans of oil...I just transfer to saved half litre oil bottles. But I would NOT store oil exposed to the light for a long time. Works for me!

bearkiller

6. jukebox

jukebox Well-Known Member

The olive oil we use was bottled in 1995.

Talked to a big importer and he told us not to worry about
    age as long as it is bottled properly.