How long does it take to mow 12 acres?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by whinnyninny, May 18, 2009.

1. whinnyninny

whinnyninny Crazy about horses

I need to hire someone to mow my pasture (get rid of all the ryegrass which is going to die soon). I found a guy who charges $30/hr. Does anyone have any idea how long it'll take?

It's mostly flat and rectangular, but with a wonky fenceline going through it, which will take a little extra time to get around.

Any idea?

Oh, and I imagine that he has a mower that is a minimum of 72".

2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

If the ground is very smooth with no rough uneven areas that force the tractor to slow down, I'd say it could be done in a day or less. I've got a five acre field that takes about four hours with a 7' sickle bar. The sickle bar will cut a lot faster than I can run the tractor. The ground is too rough to go faster.

3. ArmyDoc

ArmyDoc Well-Known Member

It depends on how many critters you have mowing it... ;)

4. Witterbound

Witterbound Well-Known Member

5. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

It takes me about an hour per acre to mow our hay, and just a small amount longer to run the bushhog around the the pastures when needed to clip the lil trees and briars that spout up every two or three years or so.

6. RonM

RonM Well-Known Member

With a bushhog I can mow about 2 acres an hour and believe me $30 is pretty cheap for an hour. It will take about $6.00 in fuel,,, I charge $40 an hour for a 30 HP tractor and people tell me that is too cheap......

7. freeholdfarms

freeholdfarms Well-Known Member

8. freeholdfarms

9. freeholdfarms

10. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

With a NH 492 haybine and a 70 horse tractor I can do 12 acres probably in 4 hours. Average flat land.

Jennifer

11. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd make hay out of it, but might not fit your situation.

$30 an hour seems cheap.

I'd think 3 acres an hour, probably better. Depends if he is a pro & has things sized right, or is just learning what he is doing & drives slow with a too-small tractor, etc.

--->Paul

12. house06

house06 Well-Known Member

I know you are looking for a serious answer, but if my husband is doing it a LONG time! I think he drags it out because it is his "quiet" time with three girls in the house.

13. mtfarmchick

mtfarmchick Well-Known Member

Do you want to keep the grass that comes off of it? Otherwise maybe you could find someone that wants to keep the hay and would do it for free.

14. benton

benton Member

I agree with this. There's several farmers around me that have offered to cut and bale my fields for what amounts to a free lease.

Also, to give you an idea about how long it should take, look at this page. A 48" WALK BEHIND mower by Skag can do almost 2 acres per hour.

A hay mower can do SIGNIFICANTLY more than that. My guess would be, with a skilled operator, you could get 6-7 acres per hour assuming basically flat ground and no really small areas to get into.

15. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Remember this, if you give the grass away you are contributing $36 per 4 x 5 round bale of nutrient away. The $36 is what I recently read was the amount of fertilizer in a bale. I no longer give surplus grass away and I have reduced the fertilizer expense tremendously based on the last soil sampling. Depending on the size of the tractor and the mower I can cut between 2 to 4 acres per hour. Each tractor will use approximately one gallon of diesel per acre.

16. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

We could do it with our disc mower in a couple hours and have time for a beer after if its smooth ground, with our fish mower its a all day job depends on what he is using.

17. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

I can do my 12-13 acres of semi-smooth hayground with a 9' disc mower in about 3 hours.

18. whinnyninny

whinnyninny Crazy about horses

He's a firefighter so he does this stuff as a sideline on his days off.

I can't make hay out of it, it's ryegrass that has gone to seed and is going to die pretty soon (weather's gonna get too hot for it)... I asked about that on here recently and the consensus was that the grass is worthless for hay at this point.

[​IMG]

19. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

Wow-that's fast!

We have 20 ac & about 11 is open but in 'patches'. Some places there's a lot of trees to go around, even tho it's mostly open. (Whinnyninny, yours looks sooo pretty :) )
    We had a guy mow for us & charge $70 b/4 gas went so high, then once when it was maybe $2 gal & he did it for $100. Now we have an 8N w/bush hog.
    Mother's Day, my request was to get to mow as much as I wanted (I LOVE mowing) and I did about 6 ac in 4 1/2 hrs. Kinda slow I guess.

Patty