How long does it take before being able to post...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bnlfan, Aug 5, 2006.

1. bnlfan

bnlfan Well-Known Member

How long does it take before a person is able to post in all area's? Is there a set number of posts in other area's or a procedure to perform?

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

The only place I know that is limited is General Chat. And I believe that if you have been participating in other areas that you just drop a PM to Chuck and he will allow access there, once he sees that you aren't just trolling.

3. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

how bout the trolls that are already in?

4. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Well, it's sort of like cockroaches... you try to get rid of them but in the end you have to learn to live with them.

5. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    GC is not available to new posters, we were getting too many posts with agendas that were not productive. Whenever a new poster proves themselves as productive to the entire forum group, then admission is granted. There are too many trolls looking for their platform for us to supply such.

If your active, considerate, and post intelligent messages in other forums then you will be admitted to GC. There is no set number of posts required, it is a judgment call on the admin's part.

7. Arkander

Arkander UNIX Weenie

I went to post a reply to a thread about Over
    The Road Trucking a while back. Found I couldn't
    post at all without registering.

I filed for admission to the board that night. It was
    about a week before I got validated. When I was
    validated, I had access to GC as well.

I find that the only places I can't get to are the
    Admin area and Teen Chat. Which, IMHO, is as
    it should be.... :)

Is the restriction on GC for new members a new
    thing, as in the last month or so?

8. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

too bad this isn't retroactive. there are quite a number who post in GC, and never participate in other forums. :shrug:

9. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Arkander, you are right. All registered members have access to GC. They can post on threads but they can not start new threads until they've been a HT member for awhile.
    This has really helped cut down on "one hit wonders" or trolls that like to stir up trouble and run. :)

Edited to add......http://homesteadingtoday.com/showpost.php?p=1413076&postcount=2

10. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i have to say, y'all are doing some things right. this place is Waaaay better than it used to be.

11. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Thanks Marvella, and I have to say, I agree with you 100% on your other post. Some members seem to get sucked into GC and can't get out without a nudge. :)

12. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Well, I have to say, you guys as moderators really jump the gun on determining that someone is a 'troll'.

I posted a link in the poultry forum that outraged me, called it 'bird flu idiocy'. The news story was about a raid in Texas where they found an entire household full of dead exotic chickens that had been smuggled in from Malaysia. They were testing every carcass for H5N1 because they didn't know what killed the birds, and of course the people occupying the house were nowhere in evidence.

The incident was just so WRONG on so many levels, and I posted 'hot'. Now, I've been here all of one week, and maybe being outraged about animal abuse and animal smuggling and allowing animals to die in vast numbers by neglect and possibly endangering all birds in the US by importing from a country with a really *nasty* bird disease made me a bit cranky (though not profane). But I've only been here a week. If I stepped over the line then you could at least give it a *try* to say, 'hey, we don't like your post because you're not supposed to x, y, or z', or, 'the word 'idiot' is offensive', or whatever. Give me the opportunity to learn how people act around here.

But to make the forum just disappear with no warning and no explanation and no discussion about what I did wrong--to make me wait for *days* until the person who did this or someone in authority answers anything--that is just plain mean. And by the way, I still haven't had an answer, although the person who banned me has been online since doing so. (Cyangbald).

And this post isn't meant as a troll but an expose of what I think is justifiable anger at being summarilly judged and executed by Cyangbald, without any appeal or guidance as to what to do differently. The suddenness of the action and lack of explanation in terms of forum rules makes me think the issue isn't so much one of me having violated a rule as having a differing opinion about bird flu than she does.

I'm very upset to think that she's denying the poultry people of information they actually need to keep their flocks safe, just because it is her personal opinion that it isn't a problem. I can show you reams of professional opinions that do not have a financial stake in claiming 'disaster', to prove that this is a valid but manageable concern for poultry farmers in the US, whatever you may think of risk to humans. Someday it might kill people in noticable numbers and you can argue about that endlessly because it is all theory, but it's killing chickens right now.

I'm not here to 'use this place as a platform for my interests', unless you call figuring out why my beans won't set bean is an 'interest'. I want to get chickens (I found out I can have up to three) but have been holding off to learn more about them first and to be sure I can keep them safely from a biological standpoint; there is a farm of 60,000 layers within a 'cull radius' of my house, so if I as a hobbyist blow it and my birds get Newcastle or any kind of flu because I didn't protect them, that means *60,000* birds would be culled, and I don't want those deaths and the farmer's financial ruin on my head.

I would greatly appreciate at least having *read* priviledges in the poultry forum while logged on.

13. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Suburbanite, what your possibly not realizing is that the poultry people are very aware of the bird flu, and have many years of flock handling experience. Your adding nothing new to us. Your posting a great many alarms that are not needed, even to the point that it has became an annoying level.

There are many here whom make their daily bread via poultry; others keep hobby flocks, and/or pets; we are all aware of the bird flu. This household has over 20 chickens, 30 plus doves, 3 turkeys, 8 quails, and we are not panicking or even approaching panic at any level.

Once you gain your own flock and some experience handling them your words will gain value with us.

14. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

Suburbanite, have you contacted her to respectfully try and work things out rather than ranting here?

15. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

I've always been able to post in all the areas, although haven't tried to in teen area, but I'm not a teen, so no biggie.

However, I registered one screen name about 1.5 years ago and still have yet to receive my email to activate that account. Signed up with a second screen name/ different email account and waited 2 months to get my activation email.

I'm just happy I can post at all on these boards