Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Enabler!
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The chili thread has me thinking about a long standing ( but friendly) argument between me and my best friend. How different each of us is in our ingredients and such.
My spaghetti sauce is cooked for 20 mins. Sauce, Garlic, Onion, Oregano, Basil and etc go into it plus a bit of sugar for the acid. She cooks hers for 2 HOURS! She has to stir it often and it takes forever. I told her if I had to cook mine for that long we would never have pasta period. She swears that her family as well as her in-laws all cook it that long. I tell her that half of my family is Italian and my grandparents ( right off the boat) never cooked it that long.
Well also argue about "soft butter". She leaves her butter out on the counter and it gets all gross and soft. I say since it is a milk product and it says keep refrigerated that it should not be left out. I refuse to eat it at her house and she complains that I give her "hard butter" when she is a my house. She does not believe me when I tell her that spreadable butter actually spreads.
I tell her PA people in her area must be weird and resistant to food poisioning, lol.
She thinks I am nutty because I have some uncooked rice in my salt shakers so it will not stick or clump up in them and because I put a piece of bread in my bag of brown sugar so it will not harden.

How long do you cook your spaghetti sauce for?

Do you do anything kitchen wise that others think odd?

(Feel free to share any great tomato sauce recipes, that do not require an afternoon commitment, lol.)

·
Happiness is Homemade
3,511 Posts
Your like my mother.... she simmers spaghetti sauce for maybe 30 min.
I however, think the longer, the better! It's not uncommon for my sauce to simmer for 4-6 hours!! It helps meld the flavors and gives you an incredibly thick rich sauce.. mmm mmm mmm now I'm hungry!

I leave butter out... but it never lasts longer than 2 days around here, so there is no chance of it going bad.

The argument at my house is ketchup. I keep it in the fridge... Hubby thinks it should be a jailable offense! lol

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
My spaghetti sauce is cooked for a couple of hours. Husband's sauce is cooked for maybe half an hour. His is good, but mine tastes more complex and stronger.

I *hate* hard butter. Being presented with a dish of icy, hard butter pats for my bread is one of my pet peeves. I grew up leaving it on the counter, and that's what I do now.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
I make a quick spaghetti sauce when I need to.

But, our favorite is with meatballs. And it's better if the meatballs can soak up some of the flavor in the sauce. That takes an hour or two. Or the sauce and meatballs can be frozen for later with the same result. By the time they're thawed and heated, the flavors have penetrated.

Tomato/basil sauce without meat doesn't need much time to cook.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Unsalted butter should be refrigerated and Salted butter can be left out. Salt is the preservative! Spaghetti sauce can be made quickly but it is thicker and the flavor is better if it is simmered 2-4 hours.

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
I do both depending on my mood.

Sometimes I like the long, slow cooked rich consistency, and sometimes I like a bright, fresh style, that I cook for 15- 20 mins or less.

To me thay are 2 different animals, and both good.

For the short cooked style I'll sometimes put in kalamata olives and capers for a putanesca style, but I leave out the anchovies.

·
Registered
390 Posts
My family likes the sauce even better the next day. A lot of times I will cook it one day for a hour or so and then put it in the frig for the next nights dinner.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I do both depending on my mood.

Sometimes I like the long, slow cooked rich consistency, and sometimes I like a bright, fresh style, that I cook for 15- 20 mins or less.

To me thay are 2 different animals, and both good.

For the short cooked style I'll sometimes put in kalamata olives and capers for a putanesca style, but I leave out the anchovies.
Same here. They are two different things. I usually prefer the shorter cooking fresher flavored sauce but if I have the time and am in the mood for a rich sauce, I'll let it cook for a while.

·
Registered
615 Posts
"Sauce" needs to simmer all day to thicken and for that rich, full flavor. A good batch of sauce is started early in the morning then slowly simmered all day. That's how Mom learned to make it, and how she taught me.

We like fresh tomatoes and vegetables, chopped, heated until just tender, then served over pasta, but we don't call that sauce, then it's just "vegetables & pasta."

Butter only last a day or two around here, so we leave the butter dish out. We hate getting hard butter.

A bottle of ketchup will last a long time here, so we refrigerate it.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Simmer sauce for as long as possible. This goes for chili, soup, anything complex with spices and lots of variable ingredients.

We vote for soft butter! Butter only lasts a day or two here as well, so no problem.

Catsup/Ketchup goes in the cupboard. I need refrigerator space for more important things!

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I like to simmer my sauce for a while. Sometimes I cook a fast batch and then freeze it, only to let it simmer all day in the crockpot the day I decide to use it.

I put my butter on a covered butter dish and then put it in the frig. About a half hour before dinner, I put it on the table so it will be spreadable when we sit down. If I need a quick bit to spread during the day, I just use smart balance margerine. My mom always left it uncovered, on a saucer in her pantry. Granted we lived on the coast of California, where the weather was never really hot, hot, but it still got pretty soft and soggy in there.

Now pancake syrup is the arguement in our house. I grew up leaving it in the cupboard so it wouldn't get hard. Dh likes to refrigerate it and then heat it up in the microwave in individual portions.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
I start my sauce first thing in the morning!
I take the frozen tomatoes out of the freezer and set them to cook off all of the offending watery juices leaving a thick, rich, flavorful sauce by evening.

In the summer when I am making a 'light' pasta sauce with fresh veggies I do a quick sauce so the flavors are sharp and bright.

I hate, hate, hate hard butter! I try to set it out before I need it and in the amount that I will need so that it is pliable.

·
This is my life
3,869 Posts
My sauce takes about 30 minutes

I leave the butter out, but admit that DS has a real problem with this LOL I have a nice covered dish and keep my house cool.

I never fridge my tomatoes and my mom always does.

·
Tub-thumper
1,588 Posts
Quick sauce and sauce sauce are two different things in our house. Sauce sauce requires hours of simmering while quick sauce is just chunked tomatoes and spices heated through. I tend to make the long simmering sauce in the winter and the quick sauce in the summer.

Butter, catsup, syrup and almost any other questionable goes in the fridge. The big exception in my book is tomatoes! They get mealy.

/VM

·
Enabler!
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well my friend is never going to see this thread! I could never again tease her about having "rancid" butter :p
I use Land o Lakes spreadable butter for toast and such and it works well and stays in the fridge. We do not use that much so it would go bad in my house if it sat out.

I am surprised to see how many cook sauce for so long. I would have to make months and months of it if it took me that long.

Peanut butter and syrup are kept the in pantry at my house. My husband thinks they should be in the fridge.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I cook tomato sauce for hours when I'm getting ready to can it, because I want to evaporate a lot of the liquid. When I'm turning it from a jar of plain tomato sauce into spaghetti sauce, I saute all the veggies first (garlic, onions, peppers, mushrooms), then add the sauce and some herbs and simmer 20-30 minutes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hmm I'm glad I'm not the only one who leaves the butter out! Never been sick from it yet. Or have I????

I like to let sauce and chili simmer for hours............and hours........

Mmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sorry, Thaiblue, I prefer to cook my sauce for a couple hours as well. When I'm really in a time crunch I'll cook it for 30 minutes or so, but whenever possible I like to let it simmer for at least 2 or 3 hours.

My husband and I have had the butter argument as well. I prefer to keep some butter out that is soft and spreadable for bread. He insists it should be kept in the fridge. I compromise and keep it in the fridge except for when I bake bread. Then some of it has to be soft for me. I absolutely hate trying to spread hard butter on bread, and we rarely buy margarine. Even the "spreadable" butter is too hard in my opinion.

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
Depends on whether I am using canned or fresh tomatoes. Fresh simmer for hours, canned gets started when water gets put on to boil for the pasta.
Butter---I only buy unsalted so that MUST be refridgerated until ready to use. I pull one stick out at a time to the fridge. The rest is kept in the freezer. I have had butter turn green and moldy when I wasn't looking!
Syrup is room temp but peanut butter is fridged because we can't eat it fast enough to get it gone before it turns rancid.

·
Registered
644 Posts
We simmer our sauce for long periods just seems to taste better (also makes the whole house smell yummy) as for the butter I have a small butter crock that sits on the kitchen counter so it easily spreadable but since I live in Ga. I am unable to leave it out during the summer because it looks like I stuck it in the microwave and melted it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts