How long do does stay in heat?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by willow_girl, Apr 8, 2005.

1. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I have a little doe who just kidded out maybe 10 days ago, first time. She wouldn't accept the baby, so I've been raising it on a bottle, allowing her to dry off since I don't need the milk.

Well yesterday my buck was going nuts, following her around, trying to sweet-talk her (you know the routine!). I couldn't believe she'd actually be in heat this time of year. She wasn't standing for him, but she wasn't really running off, either. Then I saw the wether (who has NEVER expressed interest in the does before!) trying to mount her. Sheesh! :no:

Anyway, I locked my buck up ... figured the deal with the wether was just an anomaly. Today the buck was raising hell to get out, and I just looked out the window and saw the wether trying to jump her again!

What the heck's going on here?!? :confused:

(Is she just a little sleaze, or what?!) :p

2. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

the heat (estrus) cycle occurs every 18-23 days.
    Length is 12-36 hours with an average of 18-24 hours.

The males may be smelling her birthing scent which would be on her for a while.

3. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

AND THEY CAN GET PREGNANT NOW!!!!!
    get that buck out of there !!!!!!
    honestly,
    i have a doe who has a 5 1/2 month old kid, and she has a week old doelingtoo, yes they can get pregnant on the "cleansing cycle"
    it doesnt happen often , but it can happen !!!!

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

as for the heat cycle, give her a week and she will be fine, and PRAY the buck didnt get her when you werent lookign

5. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I agree, never let a buck near a doe, that has just kidded. He can and will get her. IT will be very hard on the doe, to have kids that close, and messes her milk cycle up comepletely. I think I would have milked the doe, if you don't need it, feed it to your pigs, or chickens, or just dump it. or freeze it. I freeze milk from the first week, from my does , if I can, then I am all set, if I have a doe, that doesn't drop her milk real fast. I hav one that is always dropping her milk, 12 hours after she kids, she did better thi year, than last. .but it is good to freeze that colastrum, and saves the doe from being sore, mil kfever, or mastitis.

6. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Well, the buck wasn't SUPPOSED to be around the does ... usually I keep him penned up. He busted out the side of his pen ... :rolleyes:

I did milk her out the first couple days, to ensure baby got enough colostrum and to try to avoid mastitis ... she seems to be drying off OK. She was really sore/sensitive and HATED being milked ... she fussed worse than some of the Holstein heifers I've dealt with at work!!! :haha:

I did not see the buck breed her, so I think she might be OK ...

Of course, this is the doe who jumped over the side of the buck's pen last fall when she came into heat! :no:

7. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Oh ...I forgot to say THANK YOU to all who replied! (Hey, it's 2:30 a.m., I'm not quite "with it" yet!) :p