How long can a doe milk after freshening?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jen74145, Jan 6, 2007.

1. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Just wondering... if you were not planning on breeding a doe again for whatever reason, how long could you still milk her?

2. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

All depends on the goat and how she is fed/cared for....I've had does that lactated for well over a year.

3. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

i once had a nubian that milked for 14 months before i dried her up-less than 2 months before she kidded. she just didn't want to dry up, either-i had to force her to.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Milking is supply and demand, if you milk all the milk out daily, she will milk that much more the next day as long as she has the calories and the health to stay healthy. Now if she has for several years in a row lived somewhere where all she did was nurse kids and dry up after 3 months, well then come 3 months she may still milk, but very very poorly. Debut a coming 6 year old, freshened in Feb...she was bred end of September due in Feb., she milked until Christmas day, needed some milk for the grandbaby and all my milk is frozen, so went out and milked 1/2 a gallon out of her nearly 2 weeks later with no grain and no milking. She simply refuses to dry up and would be a doe you could eaisly milk forever without kidding again. Vicki

5. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I had read somewhere that Alpines can just be bred every other year?

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine taper after they've been bred...

After April 1 kidding.....at April 15 I milk once daily....Twice daily by Jun1 (just retained doelings nursing/bottlefed)

Twice milking goes to Oct.1/Nov1 then noon time milking when buck is introduced Jan1 dry -off (its usually cold here--below 0) for March/April kids....

Looking at getting a cow to freshen early/mid Fall.... :cool: :dance:

7. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I've heard that some lines are bred for longer lactations. When you milk through (based on what I've been told, not personal experience) they taper off, and then come back into more milk again in the spring (probably based on the previous kidding date).

I would imagine it would be less strenuously on the doe physically to kid every other year instead of every year.

Niki

8. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Here's a story about extended lactations-

http://www.dairygoatjournal.com/issues/current.html#article2

From what I've read, extended lactations are quite common in the UK herds.

Genetics have a lot to do with a goat's persistence. Some does will happily milk for 600 days; others are done at 170. Most of the commerical registered herds have lines that milk 600+ days. This is where DHIA records come in handy.