How long before Polio goes away??????

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

As I posted before, my buck, I think, has Polio. I'm quite sure it isn't Listeriosis as this has been going on since last Tuesday and I think he'd be dead by now or at least down. I'm had one die of that. Anyway, I have been treating with 10 cc's of Fort. B Complex every 6 hours and then yesterday I moved that to twice a day (morning and evening). I saw one day, a couple of days ago, where I thought he was almost out of the woods. He was acting more aware and more like a buck. He even snorted at me and he hasn't done that in forever. Now, he is back to how he was. He's pushing on things and just leaning there. He's walking in circes. I just had to cut him out of a fence b/c he put his forehead on the ground and was pushing and got his horn stuck in the fence. If he hadn't been leaning with all his weight or if my husband would have been here, I'm sure I wouldn't have had to cut the fence but I had to. Anyway, how long does it take a goat to come out of Polio? I can't believe this!! I have increased the Vitamin B doses to every 5 hours. I could probably just make it every 6 hours and increase the dose to 12 cc's. What do you all think? When should I expect this to get better before I consider that he has something undoable...like a tumor or something? What else can I do?

2. Blue Oak Ranch

Blue Oak Ranch Well-Known Member

I'd have your vet prescribe Vit B1, not the fortified complex. You can only get it from your vet. To make it easy, you can have your vet call in a prescription to Jeffer's Livestock and you can have them ship it right to you, often cheaper than getting it from your vet. B1 is thiamine, which "polio" or "circling disease" is a lack of. Fortified B complex just isn't enough B1. You can try upping the dose of complex on him, but clear it with your vet first as you don't want overdoses of any other B (like B12, which causes jitters). Follow your vet's recommendations on B1 dosage.

If your vet or anyone else hasn't mentioned it, don't feed this guy any grain (not sure if he was getting any to begin with, though). Thiamine deficiency (polio) can be caused by too much grain.

Cheers, and good luck!

Katherine

3. Milk n' Honey

What dose of Thiamine should he be getting? He hasn't been fed much grain at all and he isn't getting any right now. Thanks for mentioning it. Since he isn't getting any better, I'll call the vet in the morning and see about the thiamine.

4. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

You can also get B1 tablets at the drug store. Just crush them up and desolve in water and drench him with it. I keep this on had for emergencies.

THIAMINE - a "B" vitamin [B1] ( Rx item) (most common is 200mg/ml strength) SC (SQ)/IM
    TREATMENT OF POLIOENCEPHALOMALACIA
    4.5mg per pound (of the 200mg/ml that would be 1ml per 45 pounds), 3X daily (first dose should be given IV), until symptoms of polioencephalomalacia [PEM] disappear. In an emergency you can use B-Complex at about 12ml per adult goat. While the high doses of B-Complex will supply the needed thiamine (B1) it also hits the animal with an excess of the other B vitamins. Since the B's are water soluble and quickly eliminated from the body via the kidneys there is little danger of an overdose, but, they do put an extra strain on the kidneys of an already stressed system. Straight thiamine (B1) is the best choice for treatment of PEM/Thiamine Deficiency/ Poloencephalomalacia.

5. Milk n' Honey

According to what you've wrote and some articles I've looked up, I'm giving the correct dose of Thiamine. The Fortiified B Complex has 100mg/ml of Thiamine and I've been giving 10 ml/dose. That means he's been getting 1000mg of Thiamine at least twice but usually three times each day. I just gave him 12 ml on his last dose. That is 1200 ml of Thiamine. It shouldn't matter that there are other B Vitamins too. I don't know of any other B Vitamins that counteract the B1. Regardless of the other B Vitamins, the correct dosage of Thiamin is there. It doesn't seem to be pulling him out of it either. I will still call the vet tomorrow and ask about it. He is beginning to show some of the leg paralysis that can go along with Polio so I guess I should consider that he is actually getting worse. I hate this.