How long after kidding...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Wingdo, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Wingdo

Wingdo Well-Known Member Supporter

before a doe begin to cycle again... and how long before re-breeding?

Unfortunantly I know this stuff in regards to horses... maybe if I could get the goats to whinny?

Wing

2. Wingdo

Wingdo Well-Known Member Supporter

Someone knows the answer to this... right?

3. Blue Oak Ranch

Blue Oak Ranch Well-Known Member

:nerd:

No definite timeline, unfortunately....most goats are photoperiodic, just like chickens. Day length is the main trigger for beginning estrus, and then falling temperature. Some are more strict in their adherence to the norm - Swiss breeds are more likely to cycle only September to December than Nubians or Boers. Nigerians and Pygmies can cycle year round.

So, what time of the year your goat gives birth is likely to be more important than how many months after she kids. If she kids in July - she could come back in in September/October like the rest of her herdmates. I have a goat that's due July 31 - I assume that I could rebreed her this fall or winter, if I wanted to. But I may just have her milk through.

Having kids too close together can be hard on the doe, especially if she's a heavy milker. She just doesn't have enough time to get her body back into condition after going through her lactation peak and then having another set of kids.

I have never heard that goats have a definite "foal heat" like horses, but would assume it's possible.

Cheers!

Katherine

Blue Oak Ranch

4. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I had a doe who started cycling right after she kidded in Feb. :rolleyes: (but she did have bucks right next door). Weird goat. I think that depending on when they kid they can start heat cycles again pretty dang soon :rolleyes: .

MotherClucker