How likely is this???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TWOGOATS, Aug 8, 2006.

1. TWOGOATS

TWOGOATS Animal Lover

During the summer I had a meat goat that I raised for my family to eat. Unfortunately, the breeder accidentally missed one of the testes when castrating. When he was about six months old, he started getting interested in my dry yearling. This was in late June. He was starting to act 'bucky,' and has had some chances where he could have bred my goat. We butchered him about the third week of July. Now, the yearling is starting to round out very suspiciously, she looks like she could be pregnant.
    How likely is it that she is actually pregnant? can I abort her babies and still breed her for purebreds?

any advice is welcome!

2. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

I've heard of "wethers" impregnating does when a testicle remains, so yes it's possible. I know there are abortifacients for goats, but know nothing about their use. I've seen others talk about it on this forum, try doing a search in Goat Forum under Abortion.

Can you guess how far along she is?

3. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Goats don't usually start really "rounding out" until the last month or so of pregnancy. How long was he with her? If I'm reading your post right, only about 2 months? She shouldn't be showing yet. The easiest way to find out is to draw blood and send it in for a preg test. $15 and the cost of shipping the blood, and you'll have your answer.

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put the goat through the stress of aborting the pg, either. Let her have them, and raise them for meat. You'll still get her milk. By the time she would be ready to be rebred after and abortion, the babies would probably have been born anyway.

Why waste them?

5. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i don't think you can "see" at this point if she is pregnant or not. but she sure can be if she was in heat and willing to stand for him.

6. TWOGOATS

TWOGOATS Animal Lover

We had the buck for about 70 days.

and i don't really want mutt babies- their dad was half Kiko, half Boer, and their mom is pure Alpine.

if she is pregnant, she is probably only 2 months at max.
    the other thing is that, although she has has a precocious(sp?) udder, I think it is a little bigger than before.

Could it be a false pregnancy?

7. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

If it were me, I would draw the blood and find out for sure now. If she is, you can abort her now and still breed her this fall for a purebred.

8. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i would not count on that. you can go to the vet and have ultrasound done or draw some blood and send it here

http://www.biotracking.com/

worst case scenario gives you some nice meat kids for easter. and that wouldn't be so bad after all :rolleyes: :)

9. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Yes it is very possible that she is pregnant. My girls start rounding out fairly early also. Another way of checking her is to bounce her. I found out one of mine were pregnant because I was demonstrating to my 4H group how to bounce. Wow I felt the bounce, they were all able to feel it and we did have a baby several month later. She was about 2 to 2-1/2, months along. The vet said DO NOT abort the baby, she was too far along.
    Again that is just MY personal experience. Good luck. :shrug:

10. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

It's possible, but if she's an Alpine, not likely. You could seperate her and give her the lutelyse just in case. If she is 2 months along max, it shoudln't hurt her.

And this is exactly why I cut instead of banding.

11. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Does cutting help anymore than banding if the testicle is retained, ie up in the body cavity, and hasn't descended?

Lutalyse is what is used for aborting/and or bringing into season. You need a prescription for it here.

Niki

12. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

If you cut, at least you count the testicles. :)

13. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Why abort? the meat kids can pull in some money or fill up your freezer.

14. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

I wouldn't abort either. What is the point? It isn't as if she is too young and there is just no point. Mutt goats won't make or break you. Like someone else said...more meat for you and it is free too right? I'd be afraid to try and abort now. I think it is too late in the game for that. Anyway, I couldn't bring myself to cause a doe to abort unless it was for health purposes, such as a doe that could die. The other side to the story is this...goats that are more than two breeds are not mutts, they are crosses and crosses have some advantages too. They seem to be quite hardy. I purposely bought 2 Alpine/Boer cross does for my Boer breeding program b/c they are beautiful, beefy, hardy, colorful and should raise gorgeous percentage kids that will be registered 50% Boer. Crosses have an important place in the goat world. Don't discount them. If it is anything like here, you can get good money, even at the sale barn, for meat goat crosses. If you don't want to butcher them or keep them, it wouldn't be difficult to sell them. I paid about $68 each for these Alpine/Boer crosses. I know that isn't the price you'd get for fullblooded, registered goats but consider it this once, if she is indeed pregnant. I have a doe who is filling out at around 3 months. I know what they say but there is no textbook rule on when they start showing. You know what your goat is supposed to look like. If you haven't changed feed and she isn't bloated, you'd be the first to know if she was looking pregnant. We actually felt the kids in our 3 month along doe so that confirmed it. If you hold your hand firmly into her right side, you might feel some thuds and bumps. It may be still too early for that but at about 3 months, you should feel something. BTW, I don't believe Alpines are supposed to breed except for in the fall/winter months...like September thru December. Nubians and Pygmys are the only ones that can possibly breed year round, out of the dairy breeds. Anyway, take care and keep us posted!

15. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

I have registered Alpines too, and if she were mine, I'd give her the Lutelyse. It's the difference bewteen a year's breeding, and the offspring will make a difference in the dam's milk production, possibly for life since this is her first kidding. Does bred to high producing bucks produce more milk, because lactation is influenced by the kid's genes and milk producign potential. If the kid is half Boer it just isn't going to happen, the doe's udder isn't going to develop optimally, etc etc..... And if you have a breeding program, every single year or generation counts, because we only have some 20-40 years to do our work, at best, except in rare cases.

When you cut, you know for *certain* whether or not you got both the testicles, and you always feel for both before you cut anyway. There is NO "oops, surprise!!!!" factor.

16. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

Mutts make the BEST eating, lol, let her have them if she is pregnant, and then eather sell them as bottle babies, raise them for your or someone elses freezer, or sell the doelings as comercial meat producers, they would have a good spot in most any meat producers percent breeding herd, eather way you do it you can sell them and make money on them dead or alive, why waist a turn of profit??