How Large a garden

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Kimon, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Kimon

Kimon Not a Cannibal

How large a garden do I need for 2 people, plus some excess for canning drying and freezing

This is a list of what I would like to put down between this and next year.
    Cherry Tomatoes
    Beefsteak Tomatoes
    Roma Tomatoes
    Eggplant
    Yellow Squash
    Zucchini
    Beans Blue Lake Bush
    Corn
    Potatoes - Red Bliss, Yukon Golds, Maybe some Purple Heirlooms
    Cucumber
    Cantalope
    Watermelon
    Strawberries

Peppers:
    sweet green
    yellow
    Jalapeno
    Cayenne
    Aneheim
    Pablano

Lettuce, Romaine, Butter, Some head lettuce
    Spinach
    Greens, Mustard, Kale,

Herbs
    Sweet Basil
    Lavender
    Greek oregano
    Chives
    Cumin/ Celantro
    Dill
    Sage
    Thyme
    Rosemary

Whatcha think?

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

My garden is 80x80.....when I finally get it done
    My advice.....start small and grow it yearly It's so easy to get overwhelmed unless you garden full time.
    Two or three long rows can hold a couple of plants of what you want to grow....and give you a chance to figure out how much of everything you eat and store. Next year, add a couple more rows, and so on.
    JMHO :)

3. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

I don't have my gardening book with me at moment but it seems for all the plants and canning for 2x you're going to want at least a 100x100. Corn and melons and squashes take up so much room in the garden.

I like your selection. Especially the peppers and the selection of greens. Add garlic and lemon balm to your herb list and you'll be set. Garlic will help ward off some bugs and rabbits in your vegetable patch, as well as marigolds planted by those peppers and tomatoes. If you have a mosquito problem you're locale, plant some lemon balm in those herbs too. Rub the leaves on your skin and it will ward of the skeeters, plus you'll smell lemony fresh.

4. Kimon

Kimon Not a Cannibal

Thanks, Becky you and I are neighbors we are 3 miles from the mississippi State line in Alabama. Skeeters Yes!

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

It also depends on How you garden. Figure if you're doing rows or beds, what your walking area takes up, etc. I have 18 beds that are 30 square feet each, one raised bed that's 80 square feet, and two smaller beds for herbs that are 20 square feet each. That's for me and hubby. Now, I've discovered that I have a penchant for tomatoes and melons of all types...just as bad as crashy and poultry!...so I'm gonna have to have more space for those next year. (Don't telll hubby. I'm gonna build those beds while he's off in Iraq, and 'surprise' him. :haha: )

Whatever you do, don't set it in stone. You'll change everything after the first season!

Meg

6. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

This is like discussing gas mileage in a vehicle. Individual results will vary.Macro climate, microclimate ,soil type, tilth,fertility,rainfall, irrigation methods, irrigation water, and so on and so on.

Best thing is to start small and see how you do on your land and make adjustments. I usually plant more of some things than I'll need because I think of it as an insurance policy against the unpredictable.

Some things I don't grow because of the soil or amt. of space required. I have plenty of land, but not in condition to grow some items.
    Ed

7. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

For the sweetcorn I planted 7 rows that were 100 ft. long. You can interplant squash and pole beans with that. That plot is about 40 x 100

The herb garden won't have to be that big...maybe about 30 x 20?

Okay, so you got about 10 varieties of peppers/eggplants/tomatoes.
    That would be about 60 plant. Figure on about 6 rows so about a garden space of 50 x 30?

Potato plot of 5 rows x 40 ft. That's 20 x 40

The melons and cukes/pickles I would grow trellis, so the plot total for those might be only 20 x 20 plus the fencing on the north end.

Bush beans/ spinach/kale, head lettuce, greens, and don't forget the swiss chard....one row each so that's about 20 x 20?

Strawberries is the tricky one for the perenniel. Depends on how many you want and what other fruit you might have. I would maybe jab a guess at a patch 20 x 20 for a healthy amount. Consider also alpine strawberries that plant as small bush type in rows.

If you have the room, this might be about close to a 'plan' for having plenty and for processing. Depends on the time and work you put in to manage such gardens, and of course assuming you have the space. I am one to use more than one garden spaced apart, such as potatoes here.... the corn over there....and tomatoes/peppers elsewhere and a mix salad/herb nearby the back door.

Oh, dear... we forgot onions and leeks. Gotta have leeks.

8. Kimon

Kimon Not a Cannibal

Thanks for the info, sounds like a good place to start.