How is your diet/weight loss going in quarantine?

Discussion in 'Weight Loss Forum' started by Irish Pixie, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm upset, stupid jeans keep falling down and the ones a size smaller are also an inch shorter. Yet the scale says I am still gaining weight. Something is lying!

At least the cupboards are getting cleaned out. Several times I have looked in them and pulled out something and said, "hmmm, this looks good". I am not down to eating several years old spagetti-o's though. I didn't buy them originally. I think the couple cans my daughter bought have reproduced.

po boy likes this.
  2. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

I went through this fairly early on, very little weight loss, but down a size in jeans. Muscle is more dense than than fat so it takes up less room, so you could be gaining more muscle. I really gained muscle mass in my legs.

Sigh. Inches are wonderful, but I need to see that danged scale number go down.

3. Danaus29

I wouldn't care what numbers the scale gives me if I didn't have the belly fat.

4. Irish Pixie

It's a mind thing, the falling numbers give me the incentive to continue. I've found tracking my exercise and calories on my phone helps too.

5. Danaus29

That's why I've been watching inches instead of pounds. So discouraging to see the pounds going up and up and up.
    The best that I have been able to do calorie wise is reduce the amount of soda I've been drinking. The virus I had in December caused so much mucus that I felt like it was suffocating me. Salt water gargles and lemonade could not break it up, only soda. It was 3 months before that finally went most of the way away. Didn't gain any inches during that time because I didn't feel like eating. Couldn't do any exercising because I couldn't breathe. I hope I never get that sick again!
    But I can get into the garden again and have been able to cut back on the soda. I get worn out pretty quick but I am working on getting back in shape. At least this year I can get down on the ground to pull weeds then back off the ground without help. Haven't been able to do that since my surgery a few years ago.

Irish Pixie likes this.
  6. emdeengee

emdeengee Well-Known Member

There are all sorts of little tricks to help with weight loss. Very conscientious measuring and/or weighing portion sizes worked perfectly for me. It really is not a hardship or intrusive and takes but a second but can mean a real difference in overall calories as estimating size by guessing can lead to a much larger portion - most of the time. Eventually you will be able to gauge your portion sizes quite accurately which is useful when you are eating out.

Using small plates is another one as it makes your portions look much larger.

Eating slowly allows your stomach to communicate to your brain that you are full. Setting your fork down between bites is one recommended trick but it can be annoying. Using my non-dominant hand to eat worked very well and also is good exercise for your brain.

Putting a couple of drops of vanilla on your wrists helps to cut out the desire for sweets. It smells lovely and worked for me.

Every change in your diet takes time for you to form it into a habit. Our goal for healthy eating was something that we knew should be for the rest of our life so we did have patience for the changes. Changing bad snacks to fruit, veggies and nuts and seeds took about 8 weeks but by the end of that time I really wanted the good snacks instead of the cookies or candy.

Irish Pixie likes this.
  7. newfieannie

newfieannie newfieannie Supporter

12 floors will do it Alida. i was on the 10th and that's what i would do when i wanted to lose a bit. i'm not doing too bad. i hadn't had my jeans on since last summer and i was going out today so i tried them on last night. had to have a belt on to keep them from sliding down. that's all that gardening i'm doing. i didn't go shopping because of the rain but i've been outside most of the day transplanting, hoeing and whatnot. ~Georgia

Irish Pixie and alida like this.
  8. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I was only able to lose 5 pounds and that was 3 months ago.

I was surprised yesterday that I was able to put on a pair of jeans that used to be too tight for me! It is still a bit snug, but that means that I am at least losing a bit of belly fat and turning it into muscle!

Irish Pixie likes this.
  9. Irish Pixie

Another 2 lbs, but it's getting to be a much harder fight now. I'll probably continue to lose inches rather than more weight now. Which is fine, I'm where I should be weight wise.

Terri likes this.
  10. Irish Pixie

I started "yoga for complete beginners" on YouTube yesterday. Background: I've been walking 2-3.5 miles per day (5/6 days a week) since March, my legs are toned, strong, with good muscle definition, and that 20 minutes of yoga nearly ruined me. I'm pretty flexible, can touch my toes, bend to the side, etc. but I could only sit on the floor with crossed legs for 4-5 minutes, tops. The warrior I, II, III weren't a piece of cake either.

I'm going to continue this video (every other day) but I was of the notion that yoga was "easy" and "just stretching" and it definitely isn't. It's hard work.

alida, Pamela and emdeengee like this.
  11. emdeengee

emdeengee Well-Known Member

You have been mislead by those who have said yoga is easy. I first did yoga back in the 1970s when it started to be well known. I was young, athletic and very flexible and the first few times nearly killed me. But with time the body adjusts and it makes you feel wonderful - once you recover. Many older people get injured because they are no longer flexible. I am unable to do much now but still try to do as much and many different stretches as possible. And it can be very relaxing. I hope you will keep watching the video.

12. Danaus29

I never could do yoga. Sitting cross-legged is physically impossible and forget the lotus position.
    Most people never realize how much flexibility affects the whole body. The more flexible you are, the better your body adapts to all you demand it do. Tight muscles pull things out of alignment and cause a lot of pain.
    This reminds me, I didn't get my stretches done last night. If I don't do my leg stretches each night I feel sore the next evening.

alida and emdeengee like this.
  13. Irish Pixie

I was mislead, but no more. I was completely cured during the first 5 minutes. I'm going to continue with yoga, but at first I'll do it every other day.

emdeengee likes this.
  14. Irish Pixie

I was reminded rather quickly, and it was the cross legged sitting that did the damage to my butt and legs. I think that will become easier the more flexible I become.

15. alida

alida Well-Known Member Supporter

I tried yoga numerous times over the years and I just did not enjoy it, ever. Then I discovered tai chi (daoist)and practiced that for years. I've started practicing again - via Youtube because I don't remember the 108 movements in the routine anymore, and it'll be quite a while before I do again. It's doing wonders for my back and neck muscles and when I finish 30 minutes worth I feel like all of my muscles have been flexed.

16. Irish Pixie

I'll look into tai chi too. Thank you, Alida.

Today is yoga day (every other day until I loosen up) and it's already easier to sit cross legged. I'll just have to work up to the full amount of time. Yesterday was a short walk day of 2.5 miles.

alida likes this.
  17. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I have given up on losing weight this spring, and so I was pleasantly surprised to see that I have lost a pound!

That pretty much says it all

Irish Pixie and alida like this.
  18. Rome2282

Rome2282 New Member

I’ve personally found the key to manipulating body weight (losing and gaining) is simple meal prepping. Cook food twice a week and weigh it into portions. (Calories and macros planned out and adjusted based on weekly gain/loss avg.)

This makes eating the right thing the easiest approach.

For bodybuilding purposes we split it into 6 meals eaten every three hours. Even at a deficient you get really tired of eating and feel very full.