How is the de-cluttering going?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by deberosa, Oct 17, 2004.

1. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Haven't heard from anyone in a while. :)

I spent the weekend on a mission. One whole truckload of stuff went to the good will, including my living room recliner. Moved the nice patio chairs from the deck into the living room - they are comfy and work great! I was ruthless - everything not near and dear to me took a hike.

Then I attacked the office. Another truckload of stuff is in the garage, plus filled the garbage can one more time! I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. My egg art can now be set up for winter work and I am very near to the point of keeping the place up with minimal effort.

If anyone ever analyzed my garbage they would wonder what was going on. One week it's turkey and duck guts and the next is MS DOS 5.0 and Lotus 123 manuals. :haha:

How's it going?

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

:haha:
    clutter? you are kidding right? :waa:
    It's not going as smooth as what it appears is going well for you. :worship:
    I've felt under the weather, trying to get rid of a lingering stuffed nose/sore throat/cold, but no fever. ugh!

I guess the outside wood furnace will get fed a good dose of junk mail after this weekend going through some of it, including old sears and other outdated catalogs laying around. No bird guts or fish guts this time, though probably a lot of lady bugs in the trash can (and everywhere else, it seems).
    The mice are bad. I caught about 7 this weekend. Another addition for the furnace. :D

Rich

3. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I came to this forum to ask the same question! You know what they say, 'Great minds think alike'! LOL

I've still been working on decluttering. I, finally, attacked the dreaded storage room. It wasn't as bad as I thought. I did the entire thing in just two days (and 8 bags of trash, 7 boxes to give to my daughter, and the station wagon is full to the ceiling with items to donate to Goodwill).

We've managed to keep the house dusted everyday and my sink has been shiny and the beds made since day #1. One thing I've noticed, the furnace filters have needed to be changed once a week, instead of once a month, since we began stirring up dust. The vacuum cleaner bag has needed equally frequent changing, too. To me, that means I'm not just getting rid of junk, but dust, as well. My sinuses are beginning to clear up, too. :)

Now, I have one more challenge. My sister is giving me her piano (we have to drive to Michigan to pick it up next weekend). I will have to get rid of one of my sofas. YAY! I've always detested the brown vinyl one, anyway, so out it goes! AND I will replace it with the piano I've wanted for 30 years!

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

::blushing::

Not too good!

:D

First, there's been the grading from heck which I am still doing (and yes, after two weeks of grading, I'm ready to throw myself in the trashcan, but I'm finally at the end of it ... til tomorrow :waa: ).

Then there was the huge family reunion in a town 30 miles from here which was supposed to be this coming weekend, which is why I've been frantically trying to get all my outside chores done because I knew I wouldn't be able to do them next weekend and I wanted to reserve this week for getting the place ready for houseguests except come to find out ... THE FAMILY REUNION WAS TWO WEEKS AGO. :haha: Which is what happens when you're a litt;le dyslexic with numbers and when you keep your phone off the hook all the time.

:rolleyes:

Although this now frees me up for getting back to decluttering (if I can ever stop grading).

:D IOW, I haven't done a darned bit of decluttering! :D

5. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't got to do as much decluttering as I wanted, but did get a little done. Got 3 kitchen drawers sorted and cleaned.

Cleaned the kitchen carpet and moved some extra furniture in the dinning area into storage.

Bout all I have done this week.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Well, I still don't have the chicken coop done :eek: . So the birds have had the run of the back yard and boy are they happy!

But I did get 3 more bags to the thrift store. And the box next to the front door has been emptied. (Amos thought I emptied it for him, so he got in it and took a nap). And I set up a system for paper clutter that has to be kept for a while yet. DD decided she wanted the dining table cleared off so she removed all my stuff that was on it and spread it out through the kitchen. Grrrr.

I took down and washed my bedroom curtains and have been washing blankets (by hand, in the sink, and hanging on the line.) And I've tossed a good bit of stuff that wasn't worth taking to the thrift store.

7. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

I started a few weeks ago......another forum is talking about it too.......so great modivation.......
    We were getting new carpet, so everything had to come out of living and dining room. So this was a way to clean and sort.....
    Don't know how much stuff went.....husband just kept taking in out.....some will go for a garage sale next year.
    Still need to do more in the kitchen.....
    Thanks for the thread. I know we all feel better if our places are in order.

8. Mommalee

Mommalee Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting this thread! A place to brag about my accomplishments! I did do a little decluttering this weekend. Any little bit is better than nothing. It's so encouraging to see what others are dragging to the dump :) I went through a whole box of papers and ended up throwing out almost the entire thing.

9. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I regret to say that we "did" the living room... which means we moved stuff around, but nothing went out the door! I couldn't believe it! Note for future de-cluttering efforts: do not involve husband!

10. diane

diane Well-Known Member

:( Cold/flu here for the past 5 days. Just been dragging around. No decluttering done here, but I must say that having my routines down has saved the day. The house is still in great shape and even though I didn't make progress, I can start fresh when I am feeling better. I have yet to tackle my computer/storage/sewing room.

Sherri C........in case you ever read here...........when it gets done you simply MUST stop by and see it. ;) (she thinks my "room" is hopeless :haha: )

11. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

*sigh*

In an attempt to be kind of organized, I pulled the window air conditioning units out a week or so ago, so I could clean them, get them put away and get the windows they were in all ready for winter.

Needless to say, I got home from work today only to realize it's 90 out --- and 90 inside.

And of course, the minute I got home, I had to change clothes and run outside and water and move several loads of straw and manure before coming inside to see if I had any interesting email --- which of course I did, including an email from a student who informed me she wasn't in class because her dad has phenomena :haha: --- as you can imagine, I've been encouraging her to consider careers other than physician. :haha:

So i was reading my email and trying to get up the gumption to go declutter when I realized I was sweating like a hog and feeling kind of --- weird. So I go and look at the thermostat --- and it's 95 in here.

:confused:

So i just turned on the central air con, breaking my near record of almost an entire year gone by w/o using the central air conditioner in here.

So that's how my decluttering is going today. :D

12. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Well, thank goodness for central ac!

It was cold enough a couple days ago to close my bedroom window. By evening I could smell the stale cig smoke in the carpet again. Thought I had pretty much cleared it out! :waa: So I found some more blankets and opened said window and turned on the fan. And today I have been really working on my bedroom! All the clutter in the corners was keeping me from vacuuming adequately. I'm bout half done now, and boy, am I tired! This is stuff left from our latest move that never got sorted. I'm gonna have a clean bedroom by tomorrow nite, Lord willing! Then I've got to finish up with the room I've been storing stuff in. Part of it is sorted and boxed for our 'hopefully' final move coming up. I need more rubbermaid tubs tho. I'm taking everything out of cardboard boxes and putting it in the rubbermaid because fewer things get ruined that way. I've got so much craft and sewing stuff that I really don't want to toss, and it works out to store it in the tubs.

Just a question for the 'preppers'. How do you strike a balance between preps and clutter?

13. wormlady

wormlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Although I have been decluttering regularly for the past two years (anyone ever heard of 27 fling boogie?), with my mil's death last month I am now decluttering 83 years worth of 'we might need that someday'. Don't get me wrong, I love my mother in law. She was the family historian and very sentimental.

This decluttering is harder than my own, because I know how she treasured these things. My fil was at Pearl Harbor and only survived because he was at church when the bombs dropped, so there is lots of cool stuff related to that (we've never had any trouble getting our 3 boys to church :)

Anyway, I spend 2-3 hours every day going through everything, because we are still missing some important stuff. We have found insignificant things in with important papers, so we have to be careful.

The moral is: keep decluttering, don't leave it for your kids! They will be very grateful.

14. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

wormlady, a lot of my clutter comes from exactly the same situation.

I've never been one to have that much stuff ... but then a granny died, then my mom died, then my dad died, then ... and for several years now, I've literally been dealing with boxes and boxes and boxes and boxes and boxes of stuff.

Then of course, there's those boxes and boxes and boxes of papers of mine.

In any case, over the past two years, I've already cleared out a huge amount of stuff ... and there's still more. :waa:

But I think I can get back on track again. The past couple of weeks have been beyond whacked :eek: , and i am still buried in grading :waa: but I'm finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel because ... Fall Break is coming this Thursday and Friday.

In celebration, i just shined my sink. :yeeha:

15. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Good question. I am trying to get a set "space" for each project, So I don't have to put it away all the time. Of course I live alone so that is easier.

16. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Ok, here's what I am going to get done today...I WILL hang the cd racks that have been on the floor since we re-arranged the living room LAST DECEMBER! When those are hung, I will put all the cd's away that have been on top of our entertainment center since LAST DECEMBER. I will put all of the video tapes in order and throw out the junk ones.

I am also going to go through at least one drawer in the kitchen and toss out the junk.

What are you all planning to do today?

17. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Today, I'm mostly outside, although I have to come in at some point and start grading again. :waa:

I'm almost finished rebuilding one raised bed and am getting ready to build another in the greenhouse. All this involves primarily moving materials around, including manure laden straw. :D

Inside, however, I've started a trashbag for a serious decluttering session today. Every time I come back inside, I'm throwing something out. :yeeha:

18. Bob_W_in_NM

Bob_W_in_NM Well-Known Member

Now Debbie, I offered you an old school bus in which to store your "treasures".
    You'll have a whole new collection of "treasures" in a few months!

Seriously though, one of my big problems is PAPER. That is books, magazines, manuals, catalogs, etc.

One of my big problems has always been catalogs. I use a number of them in my business. I'll get one, pile it somewhere, and then next year I'll get a "new edition". Well, I know I've got an "obsolete" model somewhere, but I can't remember where I put it to go throw it away. What I've finally come up with is filing cabinets (yes, I have several). When I get a new catalog now, I just go to the company's file, remove and throw away the old catalog and replace it with a new one. I've got a couple of bookshelves for the larger and "binder" catalogs.

It's amazing when I attack a pile of "paper", how many things I find that I can throw away, that were at one time worth keeping.

I've bought a lot of plastic, vertical files for magazines over the years. I don't save all magazines, but some like Countryside and Backwoods Home I will keep.
    I've found that in the case of the above magazines, since they are published six times a year, I can put two years worth in one of these files.

I've also got filing cabinets for various "service manuals". I'll never throw out a manual, even for a piece of obsolete software. Most of the old software manuals wind up on shelves.

Whatever method(s) suit you, it seems like "staying organized" is an on-going effort.

Anybody want an old, derelict, 60 passenger school bus, as is, where is (New Mexico)?

19. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Lordamercy I'm still trying to get past "95 degrees in the house" and "central air!" Try 40 F in the house this morning!

But hey... junk burns well in a woodstove!

20. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Seems like I've been keeping busy outside getting ready for cold weather.

I did go through an old desk this weekend. I sorted through 25 years worth of junk and keepers then hauled the desk off. Felt good to get it done. :)