how hilly is too hilly?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Thoughthound, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Thoughthound

Thoughthound Well-Known Member

Looking at land and wondering if it is too hilly for cattle. I know little about cattle.

I can walk on it, so I assume they can too. But what about when it is frozen?

Thanks in advance.

2. Ky gal

Ky gal Well-Known Member

Around here, it's too hilly when you have to bend down and use your hands to climb up it. When one side of the tractors wheels come up off the ground is also a good reminder, if your in need of using one on it.

Seriously though, cows can travel pretty good on steep hills. I have long trails winding around some of ours to prove it.

Edited to add: I haven't seen any cows go sled riding as of yet so can't help you there. We usually put out round bales if the grass is covered with ice or snow and they usually stay near it. Of course water needs to be kept close by.

3. warrior

warrior Well-Known Member

Break out your handsaw and shorten their offside legs and they should do just fine. LOL No seriously, cattle can get around some pretty rough places. I would be more concerned with pasture management on steep slopes. A cow is only as good as it's feed and the pasture and grass needs to be managed.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Warrior is right. A hill too steep for a cow wouldn't have enough grass on it to make it worth her time to graze it. Steep hills are usually low on fertility, and can dry out badly without plentiful rainfall. When they used to sing about having 40 acres of bottom land they had bragging rights compared to The folks with vertical property.

5. Mama C

Mama C Well-Known Member

Yep, Mine are on hilly pasture and it drys up fast, we just have less cows per acre, than those "low landers" LOL
    When my Dad saw our place the first time he said we needed to buy some Sidehill Gougers, me being somewhat blond at times acually thought they were a special breed of cattle I had never heard of before. :rolleyes: But only for a second.