how high is your fence?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by zharzhay, Jun 19, 2004.

1. zharzhay

zharzhay Member

Hi all,
    I am planning to get some milkers soon. I am planing to use portable electric net fencing, because I want to move the goats often to keep them on new growth browse. What is the height needed to keep dogs/coyotes out, and full-size goats in?

I'm looking at Premier's website now... the fences that make sense are ElectroStop™ II or E'Stop, which are both 42" tall. the other fences are 35". 42" seems low even for dogs though... what are your thoughts on these fences?

Thanks for your help,
    Erik

2. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

We use premier fencing. Haven't had a bit of trouble with it, but it's always been fairly near the house (within sight range.) The goats all have to touch it, then they are great. I would recommend it.

3. caprinequeen

caprinequeen Member

35" or 42" will be fine. This is not your typical 'barrier' fence, it is a 'fright' :eek: fence. After the initial 1-3 touches, they will NOT try to go through, under or over. I have mine set at 38" with 4 strands. I did have 5 strands, but took one out after jolting up my charger. I went from a 'livestock' fence to a 'predator' fence. I changed from a 10 mile charger (on 5 acres) to a 50 mile charger. It brought my nearly 7' tall neighbor to his knees when he accidently touched it, :haha: but all of my animals have touched it (cats, dogs,goats) with no ill effects.

4. zharzhay

zharzhay Member

The fence you have, you call it a 'predator fence', is it of the net type? I want to get a fence that keeps predators out, but is easy to move, because I will be moving it every couple of days. Given these needs, are there any (less expensive or more effective) alternatives to the Premier E'Stop or ElectroStop™ II?

Thanks,
    Erik

5. caprinequeen

caprinequeen Member

Nope, it's a wire strand, actually, of med. width. Lots of electric on pulse. Pulse is a must, in my opinion. With a few extra strands. A 50 mile charger ($80) for only 5 acres is a lot of juice. Spools of wire were $6-$8 for 1/4 mile. I have moved this fence with my 11 yr old daughter twice, very quickly. I will be installing a second gate in it this weekend.

6. caprinequeen

caprinequeen Member

Also.......I was assured that this fence could even keep out a bear...... :haha:
    Don't think I want to try it out on one of those... :eek:

7. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I have a 5 foot tall welded wire fence with two strands of electric - one at kid nose height and the other at adult nose height. I have a Nubian and Saanen, two doelings and two lambs. No one has ever argued with the fence more than once. And no one has ever tried to jump it. I suspect that I could put my goats into the sheep pasture with its woven wire at 47 inches high and not have a problem.

-Sarah