Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am planning to get some milkers soon. I am planing to use portable electric net fencing, because I want to move the goats often to keep them on new growth browse. What is the height needed to keep dogs/coyotes out, and full-size goats in?

I'm looking at Premier's website now... the fences that make sense are ElectroStop™ II or E'Stop, which are both 42" tall. the other fences are 35". 42" seems low even for dogs though... what are your thoughts on these fences?

Thanks for your help,
Erik

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
We use premier fencing. Haven't had a bit of trouble with it, but it's always been fairly near the house (within sight range.) The goats all have to touch it, then they are great. I would recommend it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
35" or 42" will be fine. This is not your typical 'barrier' fence, it is a 'fright' :eek: fence. After the initial 1-3 touches, they will NOT try to go through, under or over. I have mine set at 38" with 4 strands. I did have 5 strands, but took one out after jolting up my charger. I went from a 'livestock' fence to a 'predator' fence. I changed from a 10 mile charger (on 5 acres) to a 50 mile charger. It brought my nearly 7' tall neighbor to his knees when he accidently touched it, :haha: but all of my animals have touched it (cats, dogs,goats) with no ill effects.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
caprinequeen said:
35" or 42" will be fine. This is not your typical 'barrier' fence, it is a 'fright' :eek: fence. After the initial 1-3 touches, they will NOT try to go through, under or over. I have mine set at 38" with 4 strands. I did have 5 strands, but took one out after jolting up my charger. I went from a 'livestock' fence to a 'predator' fence. I changed from a 10 mile charger (on 5 acres) to a 50 mile charger. It brought my nearly 7' tall neighbor to his knees when he accidently touched it, :haha: but all of my animals have touched it (cats, dogs,goats) with no ill effects.
The fence you have, you call it a 'predator fence', is it of the net type? I want to get a fence that keeps predators out, but is easy to move, because I will be moving it every couple of days. Given these needs, are there any (less expensive or more effective) alternatives to the Premier E'Stop or ElectroStop™ II?

Thanks,
Erik

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nope, it's a wire strand, actually, of med. width. Lots of electric on pulse. Pulse is a must, in my opinion. With a few extra strands. A 50 mile charger ($80) for only 5 acres is a lot of juice. Spools of wire were $6-$8 for 1/4 mile. I have moved this fence with my 11 yr old daughter twice, very quickly. I will be installing a second gate in it this weekend.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have a 5 foot tall welded wire fence with two strands of electric - one at kid nose height and the other at adult nose height. I have a Nubian and Saanen, two doelings and two lambs. No one has ever argued with the fence more than once. And no one has ever tried to jump it. I suspect that I could put my goats into the sheep pasture with its woven wire at 47 inches high and not have a problem.

-Sarah

1 - 7 of 7 Posts