How has your spouse changed since you first married?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Melissa, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Melissa

Melissa member

Everyone changes in some way over time. How has your spouse changed since you were first married?

2. Melissa

Melissa member

The changes I have seen in Cale have all been postive. He is much calmer, more patient, and controls his temper much better.

3. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

Mine has learned to be a pretty decent cook.

4. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

That is the exact thing I was going to say about my husband. He is much more mellow now. Of course sometimes that is not good because he does not discipline the youngest kids as much as he did the older ones.

5. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Hmmmm. I'd say that he's always had a solid work ethic, but that's usually meant on-the-job discipline. Since me, he's learned to put his head down and really labor, and enjoy it too. :p Such is life in the country! He's also gotten more adventurous, as he didn't grow up traveling or being outdoorsy and I got him doing that stuff.

I've changed too, at least as much as he has. I have gotten less and less social over the years, to the point where I hardly like to leave our place unless I have to. I'm pretty sure I didn't used to be like that, but then "home" was never quite so nice before!

6. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

I think we have grown up together in a way. We have been fortunate/blessed in that the things that have been difficult in life have pushed us closer together rather than apart. We have changed together, so it has not been conflictual. Some externals have changed, some ways of thinking... but they changed for both of us.
    I have to say though, that my husband has not changed a lot. A definition of his personality type would be consistent. He is absolutely who he says he is. The only surprizes are the ones that are deliberate because he knows I like them! If I thought about it hard enough, I could probably tell you what he will get me for christmas, so I won't try. :)

Cindyc.

7. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Humm--mine used to be considerate, thought i hung the moon and stars, i could feel the love in his hands when he touched me-
    now, he's self-centered, thinks he's the only person that matters, is hateful, and dosent want to be touched,
    in his defense, he has cancer of the brain, and beginning alzheimers, and this, from what i understand explains all the changes,
    but-- he's just cranky, not physically abusive, and totally dependant on me, so i stay home all the time
    hey--we've made 40 years tomorrow-and--isnt that what our vows said?

8. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine stopped drinking shortly after we got married and over the years has learned to control his temper.He is mellowing out as he gets older.I cant complain,he is a good man,always has been.

9. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, my husband has changed unbelievably. So have I. When we first met, dated and married he lived in a chi-chi apartment in the financial district of downtown Boston (Steve Tyler was in the same building). He drove a red Porsche and wore Brooks Brother suits and had a sailboat for weekend fun.
    Fast forward 20 years: We live on a small ranch in Northern Idaho, in a cabin we built ourselves, off the grid, he wears Carhaarts, we raise sheep and horses and we both drive pick-up trucks.
    Other than that, he still wears just about the same pants size (wish I did!)but his shoulders have broadened out a lot. He's mellowed a lot in the temper department and although he's an electrical engineer (by education), you'd never know it anymore because he has become so much more charming and socially adept. Overall, I'd say he's a keeper.

10. townmouse

townmouse Well-Known Member

Mike is still himself, only much more so LOL His opinions and habits were pretty established by the time I met him!

He's louder about what he thinks now, and less tolerant of nonsense :grump: but I think it is just the phase of life he's in...increased responsibility at work and at home. He'll mellow nicely, I'm sure, when some of the stress is off.

(He is still the same size, though, still as strong and fit, and appears to have the same amount of hair except it is getting gray :p )

11. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

Mine gained 75 lbs, but she was still sexy to me.

12. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

His chest has gone south and his hair is thinnning.

13. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

He used to have long hair down to his butt and a sense of humor.

Now he has short hair.

14. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

My sugar doodle don't let on like she has a headache any more. Not nessesary.

15. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

My Yvonne seems to have gotten much more forgiving of my blunders. Its either that or her training of me is taking hold and I am not making as many. :)

16. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

My DH has grown into the man I always suspected he was! He is wiser, a tiny bit less cautious, worries about me enough so that i feel loved but not smothered, gets weepy at cute commercials, losing his hair (thank goodness he has a beautiful head). Used to not talk to me for weeks when he decided to be angry at me. Now it is just a few hours till we can talk it out. I think I love him more every day and someday down the road my heart will just up and explode cause it is over full! sis

17. grams

grams fiber crone

Tom is like a fine wine, he is definitely improving with age. Alot of the things that have already been mentioned apply to him, but I think that he is more cautious today than when we married. Of course we got married when we were 18 so that is probably a good thing.
    I think that the biggest change in him is that he has learned to be comfortable just being himself. Makes for a pretty confident and contented person.

18. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

we have both changed. We have become more forgiving of each others little nusances, and have learned to become more respectfull of each others feelings

19. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

He has become more tolerant and easy going ( if that was possible from when I met him)..and I have become less tolerant and irritable...he is more forgiving. Looks better as he has put on some weight and filled out some ( too skinny when we met 32 " waist). Hair is the same although, I am noticing a slight receeding in the corners...s'okay its kinda cute..I love him more each day...and get mad at him easier everyday.lol.. :)

20. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

That first thing happened to my wife. :confused: