How has your hunts been?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by blhmabbott, Nov 3, 2004.

1. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

My youngest DD shot a nice fat 6 point on sunday 10/31 and as we were walking to the truck we had a doe charge us so she shot her to! Special kids only hunt and they were allowed 2 deer either sex. Only problem was the rain washed all the blood away before we could find the doe. but the 6 point is in the freezer.
    If my girls keep shooting like this I wont have to hunt, I get a bigger thrill out of taking them!!
    Brett

2. bubbba

bubbba Well-Known Member

Congrats on the deer hunt.
    Too bad about the doe, what happened when she charged you? Any idea why it would do that? I hope you are planning on looking again for the deer that is missing? You 100% sure she shot it?
    I have never hunted any big game but I sure hope I never wound one that gets away I would feel pretty rotten. Mind you I guess if you felt in danger when you were charged your daughter had to take a shot.
    Maybe a dog could help finding the deer??
    Good luck and keep us updated.

3. Teresa

Teresa Well-Known Member

#1 ds has 3 in his freezer from bow hunting and dh got a huge doe in the special 4 day doe hunt last week.

4. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I'm still anticipating opening day here,but it looks like a promising season. Congrats to all who have been successful! :)

5. emiliozapata

emiliozapata Well-Known Member

1 squirrel and 1 rabbit

6. dla

dla Well-Known Member

We are being overrun with deer around here - one bow-shot already eaten (jerky, etc)
    One HUGE buck - only had one antler with 6? points. Had more fat on him than I have EVER seen on a deer.
    This fellow had been raiding the farmer's field for WAY too long.
    We see lots, hope to shoot lots soon...

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

seen some wonderfull deer, shot at 1,broke the boradhead, mis aimed and hit a rock instead of the rack :D LOL
    nothing in the freezer yet., been raining a lot, so not much movement, last 2 nights been COLD though , so hoping that will get rut in full swing, gun season is only a couple weeks off we almost always get at least one during gun season . ....

8. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

5 x 5 , 163 pound hanging weight mulie. It is a big sucker!

9. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

Opening day is this weekend - oboy oboy! Need a coupla does for the freezer - within a foot of the foot of our freezer.

10. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

It hasn't been too bad here. So far I have gotten 1 spike, 1 doe, 1 tree :eek: , and about a two dozen squirrels.
    I have seen some wonderful deer but yall know about bow hunter's luck right? Hunter in a tree stand and the deer in a brushy area 100 yards away :haha: Oh well, the rest of the small game seasons start the 6th so I may terrorize them until rifle season starts on the 26th.

11. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Deer are just starting to move here.Got one Bow Killed Doe in the Freezer.Firearms Season starts in a week and a half.Runs for a month.

big rockpile

12. Don in W.N.C.

Don in W.N.C. New Member

Lots of squirrels that my little dogs have treed for me. Also a 10 lb. mushroom that everybody around here call "wishys".

13. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Every year I think about hunting but every year something comes up. This year I have no money for a license, a deer rifle, or a lease. Maybe next year. I think my son would enjoy it. We're both good shots and he's going on 17 in a couple of months (Valentine's day) :rolleyes: time flies. I'm only interested in putting meat in the freezer.

14. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

I forgot to mention that she is 11 and has already killed 2 bucks and 3 does in the past 2 years. This makes her biggest buck to date and she still has 3 bucks left on her tags. Which makes me a very proud daddy!!!
    Shoots like her momma and has the passion for hunting like her daddy!
    Brett

15. bubbba

bubbba Well-Known Member

Too bad about the doe, what happened when she charged you? Any idea why it would do that? I hope you are planning on looking again for the deer that is missing? You 100% sure she shot it?

Still curious????

16. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Elk are moving around a bunch now. Saw a few nice bucks but didnt have time to do anything but pull the trigger....so I passed.

Did shoot a doe that some clown blew the bottom jaw off of though.

17. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I hunt at a friend's 320 acre farm- much better hunting than my 20. I shot a buck and a doe opening day (last Sat) in his alfalfa field. That will be my red meat for the year! One's in the freezer and the other is boned out.

On the other hand, I had some idiots on my 20 a. They leased the land north of me to hunt and set a stand within 10 ft of my fenceline. I went over there Fri. to meet them and they seemed like good people and ethical hunters, even tho city folks, I gave them permission to shoot/cross my land. Well, I came home Sunday to find my electric perimeter fence in coils on the ground. Continuous wire, so 20 a. of 3 strand fence has to be restrung-they'd shot a little buck on my land-ok- and then had CUT THE FENCE so they could drive their truck onto the field to recover it!
    They were pretty contrite and will pay. But how dumb is that?