How has your hunting season gone so far.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ckncrazy, Oct 23, 2004.

1. ckncrazy

ckncrazy Well-Known Member

Just wanted to see how everyone has done so far.

I got a doe with a muzzleloader on thursday.

2. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Moose #2. I don't hunt my self (yet), but my brother in law does. He and his party got their second moose yesterday in my back yard,(160 acres, big back yard)
    Anyway, I always get the "landlords" share of their kill so I'm happy, gonna have a freezer full of meat this year. To bad vegggies didn't do well this year, I'd be set.
    He traps also, has 2 martins and 2 fishers, and hopefully a pesky raccoon soon!

3. tome

tome Active Member

I killed a small buck with my bow the 30th of Sept here in SE Mo. Hope to have kill a couple more before the season is over, gotta have venison in the freezer for the winter.

4. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

I got a spike with a bow yesterday evening. I am hoping to get another with my bow and a couple more when rifle season comes in.

5. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

Well I have been truly blessed so far this year. We put #4 in the freezer thursday.
    First deer of the season was the biggest buck I have ever taken, he was a 140 (pope and young) class non typical 8 point weighing right at 170 lbs dressed.
    Then I was blessed with a 7 point and 2 does. Not a bad way to start the season. Now to see if I can fill the rest of my tags before the end of January. I only have 127 does and 1 buck left on my tags.
    I hope and pray that evryones season will do well this year.
    Brett

6. gmm41

gmm41 Member

I came home from deer camp yesterday to catch up on some things here at the house. My s/o called to tell me he just let another button buck go. It's bucks only here in western WA and the only bucks we've seen are small button bucks. Not worth shooting - we'll leave them to grow some. We could have each gotten a nice doe though. We've seen quite a few of them. Plenty of elk sign though and we did see a nice lone bull last week. Jim will go back and look for him when elk season starts on the 6th.
    Gloria

7. NancyinArkansas

NancyinArkansas Well-Known Member

We Have Had 5 Given To Us And My Husband Is Still Trying For His First One-nancy

8. Nick53

Nick53 Well-Known Member

No deer yet, as the gun season doesn't open til nov 20th :( and i havent bow hunted in a couple years. Just got done cleaning three squirrels but thats it so far this year. Going out again tomorrow, hopefully i'll score a squirrel or two again.

nick

9. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

well I'm not hunting this year (big ole belly in the way :p ) but next year I want to give it a try. So far this year though I've had one deer given to me. I'm hoping for a few more. It would be nice to have the freezer full this year.

10. Yesterday morning was opening day of Muzzleloading season for us here in Oklahoma. I went out for about 3 hours. Didn't see any deer but the squirrels were running everywhere. So I went home and traded guns and brought my kids out to the same woods with me and do a little squirrel hunting. I think I had more fun squirrel hunting with the kids. In fact my oldest daughter and I went back out this morning and shot a couple more squirrels.

In recent years I have become a loner hunter cause many of my friends and relatives who I use to hunt with have either passed on or just quit hunting altogether. Now that some of my kids are getting old enough to hunt I'm really enjoying their presents out there in the woods with me. Hopefully one of these days we can do some camping/hunting activities together.

11. ckncrazy

rh I enjoy hunting alone. I'm not one for putting on drives. I will a couple times a season when my buddy comes up. I usually sit in a stand or still hunt. I got that doe just creeping down my logging road. I missed an 8 point about a month ago with my bow. Rifle opend yesterday, so ill be out as soon as I get a day off.

12. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Where are you all that you can get more than one deer at a time? In MA , and I THINK here in VT, you get one, period. Or maybe one per season like archery, muzzle, etc.
    How does moose taste? There are quite a few around here.

13. ckncrazy

Im in NY. I can get a doe and buck or two doe for bow/muzzleloader season.1 buck during rifle, and depending if I get picked for doe tags I can get 2 plus any other doe tags that someone signs over to me can be filled.

14. groovy mike

groovy mike Member

I've seen 4 before legal shooting light in 2 days of hunting for NY's muzzle loading season. Of course they are still walking around. The only thing my hunting partner and I saw was a MOOSE!! which is pretty darned rare in NY!!!

Hope to get out and try again soon.

15. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

Gotta nice 3x3 with a bare longbow.
    May have frugal hunting for the remainder of the year. They have begun logging timber from our lease.
    Squirrels are still full of bot-fly larva.

16. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

one fat forkhorn blacktail in the freezer, we fried up a good feed of liver and onions for supper .Got to admit, I'm partial to that.I do my own butchering, the deer aren't that big and it's part of the experiance.I just use a lamb chart for the cuts.I ground up the neck meat, mixed it with ground pork and made it into meat loaf which I froze .The rest is stew, roasts and chops.

17. ckncrazy, I'm much more successful being a lone hunter. When I did have a bunch of hunting buddies and relatives I hardly ever caught a deer. When I started hunting by myself using treestand techniques I started catching several deer per year. Sometimes I would have up to 4 deer in the freezer before rifle season even began. However in the last few years I have really missed the fellowship of other hunters while at the deer woods. The canned vienna lunches at the pickup while listening to the foot deep deer stories. The late evening/night butchering of deer when we would all gather together and help each other out in the processing, plus more deer stories. Or the Saturday afternoon after Thanksgiving when we would all make our way out of the forest and gather at someones vehicle and listen to the O.U. and Nebraska football game. It was the only time during rifle season the deer had a chance to catch their breathe!

18. jenzden

jenzden Active Member

Haven't scored on any deer yet this year. Been out with my bow almost every day since Oct. 2. I missed one doe (shot short - wrong pin) and on another had my arrow come of the rest on a perfect 10 foot shot (doe never knew I was there). I've passed on several buttonbucks and one tiny doe. Here in PA we have antler restrictions - at least 4 points to one side. I have seen numerous spikes, forks and 6 pointers that I can't shoot.
    The weather has not been cooperating - wind from wrong direction. Also, the neighbor had corn planted and the deer just weren't coming onto our property. Finally they cut the corn on Saturday so maybe the deer will start coming into our woods for bedding and protection.
    GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

19. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

rh. I enjoy the cameraderie too, but my bud & I are on differing shifts. He hunts afternoons & I can hunt mornings & alternate weekends.
    Enjoy those kids!
    I was a single parent for many years and would not trade those experiences alone with my kids for anything

20. mousecat33

mousecat33 Well-Known Member

Stuck a $16 arrow and broadhead in a pig a couple weeks ago...he turned and smiled and ran off :waa: It sure is nice when you are able to retrieve the shaft :waa:

Opening day, just yards from the house I met my newest neighbor, A small doe with twin fawns. Trying to keep her features in my memory so no harm comes to her. Cause once they have twins, they likely produce them every year thereafter.

Had my eye on an old doe pre-season, but she dissappeared until two nights ago: She and a large buck ( probly eight and a half y.o.) been hanging out at the edge of my 'yard'. They have both gone nocturnal on me..

This is the last week for bow and gun opens on Nov. 6. I hope ya'll are doing well in your endeavors.

Regards,

mc